Best Home Launcher replacement for ICS?

kpl

Reaction score
Go!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

211SSW

Reaction score
This is second opportunity I'm using to ask how I can safely delete GO Launcher EX because I don't like it. I have read that big trouble can result if it's not done correctly. I ALWAYS select Home-screen rather than GO Launcher EX. It will be better if it weren't there at all.
I would appreciate getting step by step instructions as to correct order in uninstalling all GO Options. I really need this help.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
211SSW said:
This is second opportunity I'm using to ask how I can safely delete GO Launcher EX because I don't like it. I have read that big trouble can result if it's not done correctly. I ALWAYS select Home-screen rather than GO Launcher EX. It will be better if it weren't there at all.
I would appreciate getting step by step instructions as to correct order in uninstalling all GO Options. I really need this help.

I have installed and deleted go launcher like a dozen times on different devices. Never knew there was a problem

JeffDenver

Reaction score
This is second opportunity I'm using to ask how I can safely delete GO Launcher EX because I don't like it. I have read that big trouble can result if it's not done correctly.
LOL, you have read wrong.

It is just a launcher. There is nothing special about it. It has no more access to your system than any other launcher. Just uninstall it and it will be gone. I have done this many many times, and many different phones, without any negative results. You should be able to uninstall any themes or widgets for GoLauncher exactly like any other app.

This is true of any launcher. All they are is front-ends for your system UI. None of them should have any lasting effect at all if you remove them. They should not mess with any of your files or installed apps. The only exception might be stuff that Go Launcher installs into itself (Obviously you will need GoLauncher installed to use GoLauncher-specific widgets and themes). But you should be able to uninstall any of those Apps independently of the main app.

Android was designed to be fairly idiot proof for this stuff. It is not like a Windows PC where you can leave debris behind if you uninstall something wrong. Android apps are all very compartmentalized. They are isolated from each other and the main system. When you uninstall an app, it really is gone.

Last edited:

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Nova is by far the best. It has all the features you could want and it uses much less battery and resources then Go, and you can use the Go themes and icon packs with Nova.

Have to pay to get all Nova features but why not pay if its worth it, and it is.

Edit: Btw I have used all three of the major ones listed above and more giving them all a shakedown.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, I think I agree, Nova is snappy and has all the features.
Didn't know that Go themes work, brilliant!

Sent by my new Droid Razr Maxx

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
I've moved from Apex to give Nova a try. I really like Nova.... My only issue is that when I go to load a widget, the description for that widget doesn't appear until i press it. Is this a just me thing or should I reinstall Nova?

Abaddon

Reaction score
I've moved from Apex to give Nova a try. I really like Nova.... My only issue is that when I go to load a widget, the description for that widget doesn't appear until i press it. Is this a just me thing or should I reinstall Nova?

That's the same with any of the third party launchers. I think it's due to the fact that in ICS the widgets are in the app drawer so until they find a fix and update the launchers you'll have to press to see the text. I have both Nova and Apex and they both have that issue. Of course I could root and then use the widgets from the app drawer like in the stock launcher for both Nova and Apex but my phone is working well now and don't want to mess anything up.

ripper2860

Reaction score
I've been a Go Launcher EX fan with GB and have tried Go Launcher EX, Nova, and Apex on my ICS 4.04 phone. Surprisingly, I find that the stock launcher seems a bit quicker than Apex and Nova (and noticably quicker than Go Launcher EX). For a stock launcher, the standard ICS is a very serviceable launcher. If the ICS launcher could control number of home screens and support more than one dock bar (scrollable), I'd have no reason to look elsewhere. All being what it is, I can live with the stock launcher and still be quite happy.

Last edited:

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Aside from icon and icon name changing. I've found the ICS stock launcher to be absolutely wonderful.

BlueSun

Reaction score
Okay, I know this sounds like a newbie question even though I'm a long-time android user. My RAZR just got updated by Verizon, but I had GO Launcher EX configured and installed (I also have played around with Apex and ADW.Launcher). I would like to try the stock ICS launcher, but don't know how to switch. My home switcher app lists Homescreen (com.motorola.blur.home) and Target Home Launcher (co.bh.android.TargetHomeLauncher). There doesn't seem to be much, if any difference between the two. Are they both the same stock ICS launcher? If not, which is?

I will probably go back to GO, since I have it configured for 5x5 icons on the home screens and the app drawer, and hate to lose the real estate, but I would like to try out the stock one.

Any advice?

ripper2860

Reaction score
Download Home Switcher from the Google Play Store. It's free and allows you to switch between multiple launchers. I used it to go between ICS stock, Apex, Nova and Go.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
The only problem with Nova is my favorite contact widget doesn't work. The only work around is several single contact widgets.
Anyone know of better contact widget?

Reaction score
Atom launcher is a new one that looks and feels nice. I still have nova but I am keeping atom installed to watch for updates to see what features get added.

Sent from my XT912 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

BlueSun

Reaction score
Download Home Switcher from the Google Play Store. It's free and allows you to switch between multiple launchers. I used it to go between ICS stock, Apex, Nova and Go.

I have Home Switcher. I use it to switch from GO to Apex and ADW.Launcher and others I've tried. My problem is that, for stock ICS, I don't know whether to switch to Homescreen (com.motorola.blur.home) or Target Home Launcher (com.bh.android.TargetHomeLauncher). One is motorola and the other is google/android based, but which is the canonical ICS stock?