best hard case for D1

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by SSpeeDEMONSS, Jun 24, 2011.

1. SSpeeDEMONSS

SSpeeDEMONSS Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What is the best hard case for a Droid 1?

Garrett

2. JSM9872

JSM9872 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +287
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 3
    The D1 is a tough phone to get a case for because of the keyboard. But depending on what you want there are, IMO, 2 really good options for you. The seidio innocase is a thin, hard plastic case with a slight rubberized coating. I always had great luck with it. The otterbox commuter is a little bit bulkier but again a really good case. The only thing with the otterbox is the front piece can be troublesome.

Hope this helps!!

3. SSpeeDEMONSS

SSpeeDEMONSS Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Seidio's site doesn't show an innocase for the D1. only the Surface.

Otterbox also didnt have anything listed for the D1.

Garrett

4. JSM9872

JSM9872 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +287
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 3
    Sorry the surface was the one I meant. The otterbox commuter for the D1 can be found on amazon and way cheaper.

It is a tad depressing that they removed the D1 stuff. I was just on their official site the other day looking at the D2 commuter and the D1 was still there, now it is gone :frown:

5. sandfreak

sandfreak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i use the body glove case, i really like it.

i've fumbled my phone a few times and dropped it on concrete and this case always holds up.

6. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    I have had a seidio for over a year now and while it's in rough shape it has served its purpose - my phone still looks mint underneath ;)

7. tuffD1

tuffD1 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Actually, I like the battle scars on mine :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

8. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Seidio Innocase Surface Case works well and is very thin.

9. thejas

thejas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would have to agree on the seidio innocase as being the best case. Very thin, tougher than you'd think and feels good in the hands. I will however say don't ever get the otterbox commuter case. They had many issues with production on that case and I have personally had two that broke. The most common is the front frame of the case that just randomly breaks. No dropping or slamming required. Mine broke just sitting there. I heard a POP and looked and there was a crack in the frame on the front. The back part follows shortly after. I have found (between owning 2) that the case is VERY susceptible to changing weather conditions. Even going from 40 degrees to 70 is too much expansion and contraction for the case to handle.

My wife has the innocase and no such issue have thus far been prevolent, though it has only been 3 months or so that she's had it and most of the reviews on that site issues the longer it's on the phone. I believe however, it is the best option availble (innocase that is). I have heard that the blue innocase is the most likely to have issues (apparently another production issue). I personally have come to the conclusion that the motorola droid 1 had VERY loose tolerances and this is the main thing causing issues for cases for it. This is proven in the difference of how the same case goes on two different droid 1's. One would be very difficult and the other would be easy. Anyway, this is long-winded but just my two cents :biggrin:

10. JSM9872

JSM9872 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +287
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 3
    I guess mine and my friend's experience with the otterbox case was unique. After reading in here and looking up reviews people have not had good luck with it at all. The initial one I got, the front plate did snap when I dropped it. Otterbox replaced it no questions asked and not just the front plate either, the whole thing. Have been using the replacement one for about 8 months without a hitch. And that includes enduring a pretty cold winter up here in PA with many fluctuations in temp from going inside to outside etc. He has just had his over a year and no issues.

But going by others' reviews of the case and my experience with Seidio cases, Seidio is probably the best choice.

11. missbuyers

missbuyers New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Seidio innocase work well for it.

12. machineheadg2r

Ratings:
    +0
    how is the front piece on the seido? My body glove front piece snapped off pretty easily