1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Best Gingerbread ROM?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by droseum20, Jan 10, 2011.

1. droseum20

droseum20 New Member

I've nearly tried them all and can't find the one for me. My personal favorite so far is CyanogenMod7. It has added the screen off animation which is very very cool. Other than that fantastic feature, I am finding a lot of problems in that ROM such as constant restarting, very bad battery life, etc. I give him credit for all of his hard work, but I am really looking for a new Gingerbread ROM to run with the screen off animation. Right now, I am preparing to use Ultimate Droid 3.0 Beta. I've tried jeffv2, neubanks, Project Elite, Charity ROM, and pretty much every other Gingerbread ROM. If you have one that I haven't mentioned that doesn't have many issues, please tell me the name of the ROM and where to download it. Thanks dancedroid
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  2. droseum20

droseum20 New Member

IM IN LOVE WITH ULTIMATE DROID 3.0 :) Just tried it and having a ton of fun. Still looking for another ROM running Gingerbread because I'm not sure I like the speed of this one... I will test out a 1.2 GHz kernel on it.
  3. jeffv2

jeffv2 Developer Developer

you wont find any difference between any Roms. ultimate droid and my rom are all built from cm source. the only way you'll see difference is if you download an older version that doesn't restart. the older one on my site (jan 4th) is probably the most stable, i never had any restarts and it has good battery.
  4. jeffv2

i haven't tested it lately but every kernel ive tried has killed wifi.
  5. czonin

czonin New Member

UD has been running pretty good for me. A few bugs here and there and data turns off sometimes which can be annoying. Should be a lot better with the next release.
  6. Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n New Member

I'm in love with Bugless Beast 6.2.1. Unless Peter does something stupid in future updates, I plan on sticking with it for a very long time.
  7. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

I thought BB wasn't a true Gingerbread rom. Just Froyo with some Gingerbread features added in.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. mikesevenfold

mikesevenfold New Member

Bugless Beast is 6.2.1 is basically a GingerBread themed Froyo ROM. But it's also the closest thing to GB while maintaining stability and having all features that work.

All the GB ROMs at the moment have broken 3G data and various other bugs that keep them from becoming ROMs we can use on a daily basis. I've tried UD and Jeff's. Jeff is making the most progress and putting the most time into it but until the major bugs are fixed I use BB.

Just keep playing with the daily releases.
  9. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

I use GB as my day to day rom actually. I hardly ever use 3G cause I'm always on Wifi. My billing cycle is almost over and I've only used like 300 mb of data. I normally use around 2gb but lately I've just kept wifi on.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  10. es0tericcha0s

es0tericcha0s Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Just keep an Airplane mode widget in the power widget bar of the pull down screen. After a call, flip that on and off and your 3G should come back on. It's annoying, but really not a deal breaker. Worst case is you have to reboot your phone, which takes 30 secs. Come on people, be adventuresome. ;)
  11. vrgelinas

vrgelinas New Member

I'm running Jeff's rom with slayher's 300-1200 kernel. I have no data at all over wifi and that funky data problem after a call. I just use my power button to toggle airplane mode. The lack of wifi is annoying though. No Pandora while I sleep lol. I'm using it daily with only the aforementioned issues.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  12. droseum20

droseum20 New Member

ummm.... well im using the jan. 4th one and i dont like some things about the setup. I have some good tips for you if you want... first, you really gotta get rid of ADW.Launcher. I'm not a fan of it and you should make it an option to have. What a really like about Ultimate Droid 3.0 is the Launcher. Check out the Ultimate Droid 3.0 launcher and tell me how you like it. That is the main reason I would choose Ultimate Droid over your ROM. I do give you more credit for making the ROM by yourself though.... SO NICE JOB AND KEEP MAKING ROMS dancedroid
  13. johnlgalt

johnlgalt New Member

Try changing your kernel - perhaps to something around 1000 max.
  14. deputc26

deputc26 New Member

That's exactly what I'm doing, GB has too many issues at the moment, it's the bat life that keeps bringing me back to BB, I'm at 50% after 13 hours which included running a bunch of benchmarks on a 1.1ghz kernel (the kernel I always use)
  15. illmatic636

illmatic636 New Member

Bottom line, the camera has issues and the phone call incoming or out going will stop 3G data.

Jeff2v's reply to this problem is " I don't use the camera, and I don't use the phone"

All I can say is, good luck everyone. I want a camera smart phone that works in both fashions.

Keep up the good work.
  16. johnlgalt

johnlgalt New Member

While Jeff's response was at one time that he didn't use either, this is an issue for anyone building off the CM nightlies, no one has found a satisfactory fix for the issues.

Jeff's responses were that he did not use those features so he was initially unaware of the issues, not that he doesn't use them so he doesn't care if they work or not.

I have yet to find a GB ROM (and in that I've only seen about 5 to begin with) that does not have either of these issues.

I'd go back to FroYo - but there are way too many nice features in GB that work and I'd rather not give those up,. It has become a habit for me now to end a call, hit airplane mode on my power widget, then hit it again, in order to maintain my 3G.

Running the stock kernel at 800 MHz the phone is just about as snappy as FroYo on 1000 MHz and battery life is 50% better than FroYo on 1000 MHz so it's become my daily driver. I'm currently on UD but switching back and forth between Jeff's and UD whenever possible (grad student so I simply don't have hte time to load 140+ apps after wiping and installing, and I prefer to play it safe and wipe every time I change a ROM).

I've found a couple of other odd, minor issues, but overall I'm in awe of this latest version of Android. /me <3 GB
  17. illmatic636

illmatic636 New Member

Well the temp fix for the 3g works like a charm. besides a little snappiness and the on/off animation, what else does GB really offer?
  18. jeffv2

nicely said, and this is true... im currently working on trying to get the cm6 camera with auto focus and stuff working. the 3g after phone call is a major problem that probably has to do with the baseband, i think we had the same problems with froyo when it first came out. & it took forever to fix.....
  19. cigarking12135

cigarking12135 New Member

David Rose test_zip rom

Flawless GB rom for D1,the link doesn't work anymore just look around for it.
  20. johnlgalt

johnlgalt New Member

Jeffv2's ROM as wll as the newly reinstated CM nightlies are good to go.

UD, while some may say it is more polished, actually has a lot of bloat in it that will slow you down as you approach the limits of your memory.

I have more apps installed now on CM nightly than I did on UD, yet in CM I have 120+ MB free for apps whereas in UD I was falling under 70 MB. Both ROMs allowed me to move a helluva lot more apps to the SDCard than normal, an I moved every single on I could, except for apps I have widgets for and apps like SetCPU, which run constantly so should not be moved.

Plus, UD had twitter, Facebook, and others already integrated into system, and yet CM still has more space free.

I've run UD 3 for 2+ weeks now as my daily ROM and I can say that it really is not worth it, unless you have very few apps / a huge amount of space left in your memory for apps.

If you want eye candy, all of them will give it to you - and all of them will have issues with the accelerometer, compass an light sensor, thus far.

UD wins only in adblocking - they ported over the older scripts to block ads, and it is 90% effective (does no block Pandora ads anymore).
Search tags for this page

best gingerbread rom

best gingerbread rom for droid 1
best gingerbread roms
best rom for gingerbread
best roms for gingerbread
gingerbread best rom

gingerbread rom

gingerbread roms
rom for gingerbread
rom gingerbread
roms for gingerbread