Best/Easiest Way To Clean Microphone Port?

rp3dzaKQR

Reaction score
I think I may have some lint stuck in the microphone port, and I'm wondering if there is an easy way to clean that out that I'm not thinking of.

At least, I hope that this is the issue. See, when I'm talking to someone on the phone, they can't hear me very well at all; my voice seems very quiet and I have to speak very loudly in order to be heard. This goes for placed calls, and calls received. When I am on speakerphone, they can hear me just fine! Also, when I blow gently but directly into the mic, it registers pretty well on the other end of the line.

I've heard some pretty varied theories as to why this is happening. Software issue related to the sim card; problem with the towers; the phone thinking that a headset is plugged in; etc. Again, I'd like to think that my problem is a lint-filled mic port.

Anyone else having this problem, while we're on topic? I'd love to avoid experimenting with factory reset.

ruinah

Reaction score
same thing happened with my wife's Samsung phone. I took the phone apart and there was a piece of debris on the mic. Blew it off with a can of compressed air and good as new. Took a while to get apart the right way though. I tried hard resets, etc and it wasn't a software issue. It almost looked like a piece of salt. She sounded far away, really quiet.

OP
R

rp3dzaKQR

Reaction score
Great, thanks for the reply! I'll try taking my phone apart as per this video: [video=youtube;ws8ATt26PSA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ws8ATt26PSA[/video]

OP
R

rp3dzaKQR

Reaction score
Well, turns out I don't have the proper screwdriver or any viable alternative. I'll pick up the proper tool later today.

guardlights

Reaction score
Isn't the phone under warranty? I would rather take it back to the store than immediately void the warranty.

also I thought there was only one mic. if that's true, why do you not have a problem while in speaker phone mode?
just sayin..

OP
R

rp3dzaKQR

Reaction score
The fact that speakerphone works just fine makes me think it isn't a hardware issue.

Anyway, I had the battery out for about an hour (I had hard-reset before for a minute or so with no success), and when I put it back in and booted up, the regular microphone was working again! I recorded a normal speaking voice in a voice recording app and it was loud and clear on playback; then I made a phone call with no issues. Hopefully this problem doesn't pop up again.

ainzwurth

Reaction score
I know I don't post much but I have the same issue. I think it is software related because sometimes toggling speaker on then off fixes it. Sometimes hanging up and calling back fixes it as well.