Best drop-protection case?

omegamuff1n

Reaction score
So I just got my new droid incredible yesterday, and when the best buy guy offered insurance for $10/month, I said no cuz I probably can't afford it, but it made me realize how vulnerable my new phone is to being toast after a single drop from my hand to a hard ground.

So I'm asking you guys, what do you think is the best shock-proof case for the HTC incredible? As in, if I drop it from my hand to the ground, it won't crack the screen or anything like it might if I didn't have a case otherwise?

I don't need a holster or anything, I just carry it in my pocket.

OP
O

omegamuff1n

Reaction score
Otterbox looks like just a skin to me. :blink:

How is a thin applied skin going to protect against shock?

Serialkilla

Reaction score
Not at all - there's 3 layers of protection,a touchscreen membrane, a hard plastic shell, then over the shell is a rubber jacket. Most cases are this way,but they make a few different styles,depending on the device. check out their site:
We've Got Technology Covered // OtterBox.com

OP
O

omegamuff1n

Reaction score
Whoa, that's expensive. If most cases are that way then what's a cheaper one? Probably one I could just snap on or off?

Guchi

Reaction score
The high gloss silicone case I got from Verizon seems to provide some level of protrction...

Serialkilla

Reaction score
Whoa, that's expensive. If most cases are that way then what's a cheaper one? Probably one I could just snap on or off?
They're worth every penny - I've used otterbox on every device I've had for the past 5 years. But until they have one for the Incredible, check this out if you want something a bit less pricy, but still good protection:
HTC DROID Incredible PB31200 Cases Store - Fommy.com
I'm using this one temporarily - not too bad for the price:
http://www.fommy.com/view-full-page.asp?skuno=88112

Last edited:
OP
O

omegamuff1n

Reaction score
They're worth every penny - I've used otterbox on every device I've had for the past 5 years. But until they have one for the Incredible, check this out if you want something a bit less pricy, but still good protection:
Amzer High Gloss TPU Skin Case - Black For HTC DROID Incredible PB31200 - Fommy.com

That amzer case looks great. How is it different from the otterbox? Like is it worse? And if so what makes the otterbox soo much better?

MattJH

Reaction score
There is no rival to Otterbox when it comes to durability and longevity. The Amzer isn't nearly as sturdy or strong. Same with Seidio, which I'd consider the second best on the market. But nothing, and I mean nothing, beats an Otterbox. The Otterbox Defender and Commuter cases will be available within the month, so just sit tight and keep checking the Otterbox website.

And no, I don't work for Otterbox or anything. :) Just a brand-loyal customer who has seen their worth in proven environments.

Serialkilla

Reaction score
Amzer High Gloss TPU Skin Case - Black For HTC DROID Incredible PB31200 - Fommy.com

That amzer case looks great. How is it different from the otterbox? Like is it worse? And if so what makes the otterbox soo much better?
The amzer isn't worse, it's just a different type of protection. It's good for everyday protection,like tossing it on the table or whatever - as for me, I work in construction,so my phones take quite a beating - and otterbox cases are built like tanks! They withstand alot more than your average case.That's what their intended to do tho, hence the price. If you aren't in an everyday situation were you put your phone in potential danger alot, then chances are-you don't need to spend money on the otterbox. The Amzer will do just fine,or seidio innocase too. But, if you work or play in situations where your device is gonna get banged around alot, or outsidde in weather alot, or dirt and dust - then there's no other way to go.

PhoneZilla

Reaction score
The Corvette or the Hummer

So I just got my new droid incredible yesterday, and when the best buy guy offered insurance for $10/month, I said no cuz I probably can't afford it, but it made me realize how vulnerable my new phone is to being toast after a single drop from my hand to a hard ground.

So I'm asking you guys, what do you think is the best shock-proof case for the HTC incredible? As in, if I drop it from my hand to the ground, it won't crack the screen or anything like it might if I didn't have a case otherwise?

I don't need a holster or anything, I just carry it in my pocket.

When it comes to protecting the phone from drops, shock ect. the best protection will come from the thickest cases.
A thicker case is superior to a thin super durable hard case because the thicker case absorbs more of the energy from a drop.
Take for example if one phone was wrapped in 1/2 inch layer of foam and one was wrapped in a thin layer of titanium.
The titanium case would be nearly indestructible if dropped BUT the phone would receive the bulk of the shock and be more likely to get damaged.
The 1/2 inch layer of foam covering the other phone would
absorb the majority of the shock and the phone less likely to get damaged even though the foam is not nearly as strong as titanium.

So you can find really durable cases that can hold up well and protect your phone cosmetically
if it's dropped or kicked but that doesn't mean it's going to be the best protection for the phone from shock damage.
A thicker case will bulk up the phone but it is the better protection from shock.
You have to decide do you want a case to protect from cosmetic blemishes with less bulk and be less shock proof.
Or do you want the best shock proof case without the concern for the added bulk to your phone.

I modified a Body Glove case to fit over my extended battery Moto Droid.
It's a little bulky but bulletproof and it's good looking.

Reaction score
The only problem with the otterbox is that it turns your phone into a brick. Big and bulky. The thin cases are only good for scratch protection but they do have lots less bulk.

I have a body glove for my moto droid and I like the protection but am thinking about a slimmer case because of the bulk added by it.

OP
O

omegamuff1n

Reaction score
Yes, I know a thicker case is better. The incredible is alreAdy bulky enough, and I definitely won't be performing any otterbox drop tests by launching it out of a cannon into a brick wall or anything, but I would like the thinnest case that will surely withstand a fall from my hands' height, about 5 feet.