Best Droid X case

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, got my Incipio case today, and here are my impressions.

I like it better than the Otterbox Commuter. The Otterbox actually looks like the plastic and rubber is higher quality. There is just this feeling that it is more polished and refined.

However, the Otterbox is thicker and adds more bulk. The plastic is more slick, making it more likely that you will drop it. The rubber covers the front buttons so you cannot see them in the dark and it also makes them hard to press. I don't like the covered ports and having to pull them open to plug things in.

The Incipio snaps on easier, is thinner, and while the rubber is thinner, it is harder and more slick, making it less likely to snag in your pocket. However, the outer shell is more friction than the shell on the Otterbox, so it sits in my hand a little more securely. It leaves the bottons and ports uncovered, and things like the volume buttons and the camera button that are covered, are easier to feel and press. The rubber is thinner and stiffer which helps in that area.

Looks are good, but there is something about the plastic and rubber that looks a little cheaper. Maybe it is because it is more dull and not as lustrous as the Otterbox.

Of the two, the Otterbox is a tad better looking, but I think that overall the Incipio is the better case. Slimmer, better grip, uncovered buttons and I just like how it feels.

zero7404

Reaction score
Ok, got my Incipio case today, and here are my impressions.

I like it better than the Otterbox Commuter. The Otterbox actually looks like the plastic and rubber is higher quality. There is just this feeling that it is more polished and refined.

However, the Otterbox is thicker and adds more bulk. The plastic is more slick, making it more likely that you will drop it. The rubber covers the front buttons so you cannot see them in the dark and it also makes them hard to press. I don't like the covered ports and having to pull them open to plug things in.

The Incipio snaps on easier, is thinner, and while the rubber is thinner, it is harder and more slick, making it less likely to snag in your pocket. However, the outer shell is more friction than the shell on the Otterbox, so it sits in my hand a little more securely. It leaves the bottons and ports uncovered, and things like the volume buttons and the camera button that are covered, are easier to feel and press. The rubber is thinner and stiffer which helps in that area.

Looks are good, but there is something about the plastic and rubber that looks a little cheaper. Maybe it is because it is more dull and not as lustrous as the Otterbox.

Of the two, the Otterbox is a tad better looking, but I think that overall the Incipio is the better case. Slimmer, better grip, uncovered buttons and I just like how it feels.

the silicrylic is less protective than the commuter, but i prefer it over the otterbox ... outer hardshell is not slippery, the silicon hugs the phone better - so less lint/dust gets in (this is a big deal when talking about silicon cases, especially when using the extended battery without the door), its really easy to put on the phone, etc.

finally, i hated the commuter's cover for the 4 main buttons, always had to put in extra effort to press them. i prefer the light touch of the buttons on the droid charge over the droid x, but with the commuter on, it made pressing the buttons a cumbersome experience.

only downside is there are no port covers, so if there is a spill and the phone gets wet, its a bigger problem. but its easier to take the case off and get to the battery with the silicrylic, so it isnt that bad.

sent via android

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
See, I never liked the port covers, so I cut them off with a razor blade so my Commuter didn't have that protection anyway.

n4dog

Reaction score
So I just ordered the Trident Kraken. Should have it in a few days. Hope it is better than my current crap case that I bought at best buy. A dang 2 piece that is broken.

Kandiru

Reaction score
Tried them all, the $3.99 rubberized hard shell cases with the $1 for 3 red/blue tab screen protectors from ebay/amazon always win.
They give a very firm grip, fit in the Luxmo belt pouches, and really protect with falls, the best compromise for a working man.

spegoda

Reaction score
I am new to the Droid X. I had my Droid 1 for over a year and loved it!!! My husband had the HTC Droid Eris and it went south. LOL He was eligible for an upgrade. He wanted mine phone and since I couldn't get the Droid with Vzn any more, I chose the X (and it was free through wirefly). One thing I am disappointed with is the case and cradle non-compatibility issue. With my Droid I was able to order the case and cradle charger through Seido that were compatible and I loved both. I just assumed I could get the same thing with the X. Not the case. :huh: Does anyone have any cradle ideas for the X? I can't use it as a bedside clock and alarm. :(

Anyway, I chose the
Naztech Vertex 3-Layer Cover Case

11071_1__98744_zoom.jpg

Mont

Reaction score
All of the two piece snap together cases, suck. All of them. The first time you drop the phone and it lands on the corner, it pops the two pieces out and both the pieces and your now unprotected phone go skittering across the pavement. I had one pop open from a drop of only 1 foot. It's a crappy design.

The only ones that hold up to a fall are the ones that wrap around the phone and clamp to it. .

That is true 90% of my nicks and dents came from that.

And there is no warning when it wears out and time to replace, just a slight nudge against something then timbeerrr...nooooo

I have to rethink my position with the Body Glove now, I just love the way it looks and how sleek it is.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Thats it, Im done with Bodyglove, right after this quote i bought one more and its breaking apart already. I used Bodyglove most of my cell phone life its just not good as a snap on case on the hip. I can't take away the look and it feels great Im just tired of buying it, I think this is my fourth one in less then a year.

Im looking for another one now, some of the ones I see like the Incipio and the new one I see recently the Neztech looks cool but I need one that goes on the detachable clip to wear on the hip.

I have to look all over this thread again

RUSirius

Reaction score
Thats it, Im done with Bodyglove, right after this quote i bought one more and its breaking apart already. I used Bodyglove most of my cell phone life its just not good as a snap on case on the hip. I can't take away the look and it feels great Im just tired of buying it, I think this is my fourth one in less then a year.

Im looking for another one now, some of the ones I see like the Incipio and the new one I see recently the Neztech looks cool but I need one that goes on the detachable clip to wear on the hip.

Oddly enough, I have a Body Glove case on my Droid X2 (used it on my X) and it survived everything I could throw at it! :lifting:

UMMV!

TGOD

Reaction score
Naztech Vertex, Otterbox Commuter, Trident Aegis. Go to DayDeal.com, They have alot of great cases!

jonathon1289

Reaction score
Anyone know what cases include a screen protector? Not everyone online says it it does or not.
I know the Otterbox and Trident Kracken cases do, but I am searching for something that is thin (I have the Otterbox) with a hard outside shell to help prevent it from hanging in my pocket. Having a builtin screne protector is huge, I hate the stick on ones.

pool_shark

Reaction score

Oddly enough, I have a Body Glove case on my Droid X2 (used it on my X) and it survived everything I could throw at it! :lifting:

UMMV!

I just switched from the body glove to the Verizon case/holster combo with the kickstand. It protects the screen while on my hip because the phone faces inward.
Out of the holster though, it seemingly feels less protected than when in the body glove.

Beka27

Reaction score
Anyone know what cases include a screen protector? Not everyone online says it it does or not.
I know the Otterbox and Trident Kracken cases do, but I am searching for something that is thin (I have the Otterbox) with a hard outside shell to help prevent it from hanging in my pocket. Having a builtin screne protector is huge, I hate the stick on ones.

Have you looked into the new Trident Aegis? I think the outer surface is hard.

http://www.tridentcase.com/product_30_75.html

I was interested in the Cyclops, but this case looks even thinner!

jonathon1289

Reaction score

CrimsonTide55

Reaction score
Anybody else rocking the casemate. I've had all the otterbox cases but the casemate is my favorite. I haven't really seen anyone else mention it.