Best Data Usage Widget? Thanks, Verizon. Sigh

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by altjx, Jul 2, 2012.

1. altjx

altjx Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I received a text message from Verizon stating that, starting June 29th, I would have to manually click the "My Verizon Data" widget in order to receive the amount of data that I've used during my billing cycle. In other words, it will not automatically update anymore. When I unlocked my phone today, it told me to "Click to connect" and then it brought me to the VZW bill usage stuff.

This was such a VERY STUPID idea. I mean I see absolutely no point in why disabling automatic updating is necessary. Even speaking on terms of data usage, I can't see checking once every couple hours hurting anything. I could see if it was optional.. I hate being forced into stupid updates like this without the option or capability to go back.

That being said, does anyone know of a widget that can display bill usage data such as minutes, data usage, and/or text messages used? Sorry for my vent, but I just really find this whole change stupid. That's the purpose of a widget, to avoid having to go into the app to view the info.

2. Rogus

Rogus Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Another one of those you wonder why? What's the point of having it as a widget if it doesn't track current usage without having to take an extra step.

Thanks for the info. I didn't get any message from Verizon about it and was wondering why it wasn't actively tracking data.

3. Kyle06

Kyle06 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know there isn't any other ones that can check Verizon usage, but there is 3g watchdog its been awhile since I've used it but you can set it up to track everything and reset on your cycle date...

Hope that helps

4. altjx

altjx Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Exactly. This was a truly a ridiculous idea, seriously. There's no point in having a widget that just says "Click here to connect" -- that's extremely‚Äč pointless. It shouldn't be a widget, it should instead be considered a shortcut and the size should be reduced to an icon.

Hmm, this might be the replacement I'm looking for. Thanks man. I'm going to go check this out.

5. cbreze

cbreze Member

Ratings:
    +4
    You don't suppose this is a verizon ploy to maybe keep us from checking as easily? With the tiered and shared plans every minuscule overage is the next level up and more money in their pocket. Just thinking out loud.

6. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    Your device keeps tabs on its data use now too. Its on the mobile data screen. I just looked at mine, and the play store is chewing through a lot of data.... odd.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

7. altjx

altjx Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Haha, not sure. For a person like me who just wants to glance at data usage every now and again, this is no longer convenient.

Seriously? Did you just go through a bunch of app updates over 4G or anything related? That's a bit odd. Since 06/22, my Play Store (2nd in list) have used 133 MB and Google Chrome (1st in list) used 143 MB. I wouldn't be surprised though if my Google Play data came from updating the apps. There's sometimes where I'd go home that evening (not connecting to Wi-Fi) and end up having like 7 app updates, lol.

8. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    I'm not sure.. but I thinks its because of all the apps I cleared data on and then disabled... not sure though...

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

9. altjx

altjx Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Ahh, lol.

10. SamuelMSr

SamuelMSr Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Take a look at Onavo Count, it should do what you want and much more.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

11. Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +57
    I use My Data Manager Pro on my Xoom.

12. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +754
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Verizon says the widget doesn't work properly with their new shared plans, so that's why they got rid of it. Supposedly, there will be a new one when they're able to get one functioning with the new plans at some point in the future, but there's no telling when that might be.

While it's not a replacement for the widget, with ICS, besides being able to see how much mobile data your phone has been using, you can also set a mobile data limit. This will warn you when you've reached a certain amount of data used along with deactivating your mobile data once you've reached your limit (and you can set the amount for both the warning and the limit). You can set it all up to be in line with your monthly billing cycle. All of this is located under settings -> data usage. If I were on a tiered data plan, this would be enough for me to not really need to worry about the data widget since it will warn me at the point I feel I should start being careful.

Search tags for this page

my verizon data widget not updating

my verizon data widget not working
my verizon widget doesnt update
my verizon widget not updating
verizon data usage not updating
verizon data usage widget android

verizon data widget

verizon data widget android

verizon data widget not updating

verizon droid data usage widget