Best Current "Vanilla" Android?

markwebb

Reaction score
Best Current/Future "Vanilla" Android?

Ok, I still love my Droid 1 and plan to keep it as long as possible but always fret if and when the day arrives and my D1 stops working or needs replacement as it ages.

With that said, what is the current opinion on the choice for best replacement, i.e., a phone which is as close to "vanilla-open source" as the D1, which includes rooting, ROM's, themes, etc?

I can live w/o a QWERTY keyboard and I do like the size of the Droid X. I can fret over hardware specs at a later time.

Or, is there nothing which equals the easy customization of the D1?

Thanks!

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, I still love my Droid 1 and plan to keep it as long as possible but always fret if and when the day arrives and my D1 stops working or needs replacement as it ages.

With that said, what is the current opinion on the choice for best replacement, i.e., a phone which is as close to "vanilla-open source" as the D1, which includes rooting, ROM's, themes, etc?

I can live w/o a QWERTY keyboard and I do like the size of the Droid X. I can fret over hardware specs at a later time.

Or, is there nothing which equals the easy customization of the D1?

Thanks!

There simply are not enough custom roms out there to say anything is as customizable as the D1 but all of them are pretty capable of it. But as far as vanilla goes, no blur or bloatware I don't think you can find it.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've got to disagree with you there, hook. Unfortunately, I don't think we will EVER see a device as open as the D1 (at least not from Motorola, I don't know what the status is regarding the HTC/Samsung bootloaders).

Of course, I am of the (apparent) minority here at DF, in that I truly believe that Moto's new bootloader encryption scheme will NEVER be truly cracked, and the new devices will ALWAYS rely on the bootstrap method of running custom ROMs.

I think the kernel customization that us D1 owners have gotten used to is sadly a thing of the past. Custom ROMs? Sure. Rootable? Sure. But no more playing around with the kernel.

Reaction score
I've got to disagree with you there, hook. Unfortunately, I don't think we will EVER see a device as open as the D1 (at least not from Motorola, I don't know what the status is regarding the HTC/Samsung bootloaders).

Of course, I am of the (apparent) minority here at DF, in that I truly believe that Moto's new bootloader encryption scheme will NEVER be truly cracked, and the new devices will ALWAYS rely on the bootstrap method of running custom ROMs.

I think the kernel customization that us D1 owners have gotten used to is sadly a thing of the past. Custom ROMs? Sure. Rootable? Sure. But no more playing around with the kernel.

i have the same opinion

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I don't know Dave, about two moths ago I saw that cracking the bootloader was "imminent."

Do you think that enough time has passed to say this was a false rumor?;)

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i know its not current but LG's new tegra dual core powered android phone will have vanilla android on it. Heres a pic and a link with more info on it. supposed to be released early next year.

LG delivering 4-inch Android with dual-core Tegra 2 processor and 1080p video early next year | larsa | Androinica)

lg-tegra2-dual-coer.jpg

OP
markwebb

markwebb

Reaction score