Best Car Dock

Telescopist

Reaction score
Now I am with it completely. The image is a great help. Basically, you are paying $20 more for a pretty useful cable. I'm heading out to a few Verizon stores and Best Buy just to 'look around'. But will probably order the Motorola dock from Amazon that is compatible with the Maxx. I'm assuming that it must be configured slightly different than the older RAZR car dock. Perhaps because of the larger battery?

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Now I am with it completely. The image is a great help. Basically, you are paying $20 more for a pretty useful cable. I'm heading out to a few Verizon stores and Best Buy just to 'look around'. But will probably order the Motorola dock from Amazon that is compatible with the Maxx. I'm assuming that it must be configured slightly different than the older RAZR car dock. Perhaps because of the larger battery?

Yes, you are paying $20 for a cable that, as of yet, I have not been able to find anywhere, so to me it's worth the extra $20. Now, if you have bluetooth audio in your car, then you really don't need this nicer cable and the cheaper dock works fine. Also, if you don't have a car with a 3.5mm headset jack, then you really don't need it. I need this in my truck, because I don't have bluetooth audio, but I do have the 3.5mm headset jack. In my car, I don't need it because my car has bluetooth audio.

As for the difference in docks, yes, the Maxx dock is a one piece that is made to fit the extra battery width.

Telescopist

Reaction score
Yes, you are paying $20 for a cable that, as of yet, I have not been able to find anywhere, so to me it's worth the extra $20. Now, if you have bluetooth audio in your car, then you really don't need this nicer cable and the cheaper dock works fine. Also, if you don't have a car with a 3.5mm headset jack, then you really don't need it.

Did you mean to write 'if you have a car with a 3.5mm headset jack, then you really don't need it? The reason why I ask is because my van doesn't have bluetooth audio nor slot to insert a 3.5mm headset jack. So when I look at your image of the Motorola cable with the nifty 3.5mm headset jack on the plug, I'm thinking that I will be able to plug in a male 3.5mm plug that is wired to a headset that I can wear in order to hear music, radio (on the MAXX) and listen to incoming calls. Have I got that about right?

As for the difference in docks, yes, the Maxx dock is a one piece that is made to fit the extra battery width.

Understood. Thanks

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Did you mean to write 'if you have a car with a 3.5mm headset jack, then you really don't need it? The reason why I ask is because my van doesn't have bluetooth audio nor slot to insert a 3.5mm headset jack. So when I look at your image of the Motorola cable with the nifty 3.5mm headset jack on the plug, I'm thinking that I will be able to plug in a male 3.5mm plug that is wired to a headset that I can wear in order to hear music, radio (on the MAXX) and listen to incoming calls. Have I got that about right?

Ummm, let's do it this way:

When I put my phone on the dock, all I do is connect the Micro USB connector on the left side int his picture.
photobucket-1233-1329673569917.jpg

But I had to swap out for a Maxx mount, because as you see here, the Max will not fit in the Razr dock very well.
DSC00009.jpg

So, because the cable is connected to my trucks audio as shown here, I can hear my music playing over the speakers.
photobucket-3357-1329673988077.jpg

The green wire is a 3.5mm headset cable connect to the USB charging cable and my truck's 3.5mm stereo input jack.

Clear as mud?

Telescopist

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for going to the trouble of taking those shots! I get it. I broke down an purchased a high gloss silicone cover that fits the MAXX at the Verizon store. I was able to talk the sales clerk into opening up a Verizon car dock that is specific to the MAXX. It says on the box that it will work with a protective cover. We gave it a whirl. It was a tight not perfect fit with the edges of the car dock slightly bent outward and under a bit of stress. It was $39. I decided not to buy it. I'm going to get the Motorola instead.

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Hey, thanks for going to the trouble of taking those shots! I get it. I broke down an purchased a high gloss silicone cover that fits the MAXX at the Verizon store. I was able to talk the sales clerk into opening up a Verizon car dock that is specific to the MAXX. It says on the box that it will work with a protective cover. We gave it a whirl. It was a tight not perfect fit with the edges of the car dock slightly bent outward and under a bit of stress. It was $39. I decided not to buy it. I'm going to get the Motorola instead.

The Motorola one won't fit with the silicon case either.

Maybe something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/iKross-Dashboard-Incredible-Sensation-Thunderbolt/dp/B0060B38SY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1329699843&sr=8-4

O
r this:
Amazon.com: Universal Windshield Car Window Mount Dock Suction Cup Holder Cradle for Motorola Droid 3, Photon 4G, TRIUMPH, Electrify 4G, Atrix 2, DROID RAZR, Droid 4, DROID RAZR MAXX (Comes with Suction Phone Holder): Cell Phones & Accessories

Or this:
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Charger-Adapters-SmartPhones-Players/dp/B006GNM88W/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1329699896&sr=8-20

Y
ou'll need something generic, if you want to keep the case on.

Telescopist

Reaction score

Meanwhile, I have shifted my attention slightly. Since my van is not accessorized to hell and back like your fancy truck, I am wondering if it would make sense to purchase a bluetooth portable car speaker such as this: Amazon.com: Motorola T325 Bluetooth Portable Car Speaker (Black, Retail Packaging): Cell Phones & Accessoriesoes the MAXX have bluetooth installed? I cannot seem to find it.

Last edited:
OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Meanwhile, I have shifted my attention slightly. Since my van is not accessorized to hell and back like your fancy truck, I am wondering if it would make sense to purchase a bluetooth portable car speaker such as this: Amazon.com: Motorola T325 Bluetooth Portable Car Speaker (Black, Retail Packaging): Cell Phones & Accessoriesoes the MAXX have bluetooth installed? I cannot seem to find it.

Ya, that would work. ^^^^ Go into settings - wireless and you'll see your bluetooth options.

Telescopist

Reaction score
Ya, that would work. ^^^^ Go into settings - wireless and you'll see your bluetooth options.

One other question. Will the MAXX via bluetooth port over to the speaker phone voice commands when you have a navigation application running? Which bring another question to mine: which navigation application do you favor? Thanks.

marcaineart

Reaction score
skype for razr in dock

I'm considering getting one of these. Has anyone tried to use the skype video function while it is in the dock? Just a curiosity if it works. It would essentially be hands free calling with video.

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I'm considering getting one of these. Has anyone tried to use the skype video function while it is in the dock? Just a curiosity if it works. It would essentially be hands free calling with video.

You'd probably have to back out of, well, not probably, you would have to back out of navigation mode. Then Skype or any other app will work just fine. Instead of pressing the "Home" button, you press the "Back" button until you're at your desktop, then open any application you want from there. For example, I watched the NFL Redzone the entire trip back from North Carolina. Also, I've been known to watch a little Netflix on the way home.

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
One other question. Will the MAXX via bluetooth port over to the speaker phone voice commands when you have a navigation application running? Which bring another question to mine: which navigation application do you favor? Thanks.

Unless you install the navigation app, you can't get into Nav mode without the Motorola Dock. It's a separate home screen that looks completely different from your normal home screen. If I think about it, I'll up load a picture tomorrow of it.

Telescopist

Reaction score
Unless you install the navigation app, you can't get into Nav mode without the Motorola Dock. It's a separate home screen that looks completely different from your normal home screen.

Hmmm. What navigation app might you be referencing? What I currently have installed is Google Maps Navigation (Beta).
I also posed this question on the Motorola forum: "I plan on purchasing a Motorola car dock for the MAXX. I would also like to purchase a Motorola portable car speaker that supports blue tooth. When I get the phone and the speaker to connect, will it work using a navigation application? In other words, when I have the MAXX in navigation mode will the phone send the verbal instructions about when to turn, etc. to the speaker?"

The response I got back was: "Yes the naviagation voice will be transmited through the bluetooth speaker, I do this and works great."

If I think about it, I'll up load a picture tomorrow of it.
Thing about it.:icon_ lala: