Best car dock?

geoff5093

Reaction score
So I've been reading the reviews of the Verizon car dock and they have awful reviews, have people found other docks that they've found to be better, and if so, what ones?

Viper Daimao

Reaction score
I have the verizon car dock and its fine. no problems putting it in the dock or taking it out.

Mastrik

Reaction score
Except on the car dock if you use navigation it uses Google maps according to VZW and HTC vz navigator will not work with the car dock. At least its free but I miss the traffic updates they said they didn't know about it in time to be fixed on the next version bUt maybe next year.

I'm really surprised how many VZW apps don't work on thunderbolt

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

fireman00

Reaction score
I have the verizon car dock and its fine. no problems putting it in the dock or taking it out.

Just curious, do you use a case for your phone? I have an Otterbox Commuter and don't want to have to take the phone out to use the dock.

pobrien904

Reaction score
I have the car dock for the droid global with no case.... best thing I bought for the phone.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

fizeke136

Reaction score

Just curious, do you use a case for your phone? I have an Otterbox Commuter and don't want to have to take the phone out to use the dock.

VZ car dock wont work with a case. its pretty much made to be the exact size of a "naked" phone. kinda sucks, but other that that its pretty good

AllenEllis

Reaction score
A lot of the reviews on Amazon are critical of the charging port, people worried that it's damaging the port on their phones over time. I'd like to think Verizon's quality testing would have eliminated that risk, but nonetheless, is it something you are concerned with?

I'm also curious if there are any 3rd-party alternatives either now or in the pipeline - I'm a little surprised that the Verizon one seems to be the only one on the market.

OP
G

geoff5093

Reaction score
I have the car dock for the droid global with no case.... best thing I bought for the phone.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
The docks for the Droid 2 (and other phones) are completely different, the reason I asked this was because a lot of the reviews state that the cases they bought for the other Motorola, HTC, etc., phones worked fine, but the one for the TB was awful.

A lot of the reviews on Amazon are critical of the charging port, people worried that it's damaging the port on their phones over time. I'd like to think Verizon's quality testing would have eliminated that risk, but nonetheless, is it something you are concerned with?

I'm also curious if there are any 3rd-party alternatives either now or in the pipeline - I'm a little surprised that the Verizon one seems to be the only one on the market.
That's what I'm worried about, I'd be taking it in and out of the dock several times a day, and I don't want to risk damaging anything.

sidsixseven

Reaction score
I'm using the Arkon Universal car dock from Amazon which I bought for less than $13.50 + tax. Not the prettiest, but it's functional and works will work with any of the phone cases (unlike the HTC dock).

That said, it doesn't pop into car dock mode automatically. You need to use a 3rd party app to make that happen or launch it yourself.

shark86x

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
A couple newbie questions...

1. How do you launch the built-in car dock without a dock (not rooted)?

2. Has anybody found a usable dock or mount that will work with the extended battery?

neoterixx64

Reaction score
If you squeeze the phone by pressing it into the right corner the car dock program runs.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

sidsixseven

Reaction score
The free app, Car Mode Control, will also trigger car mode for you if you want a button to push.

As for the extended battery, the Arkon Universal dock I mentioned has wide grips, so it will work.

shark86x

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
The free app, Car Mode Control, will also trigger car mode for you if you want a button to push.

Thank you! That will work! I never thought to search for "control" so all I found were car dock replacement apps.

I don't understand why they won't let you launch car mode without an actual dock. Makes no sense.