Best car dock for GNex with otterbox Defender case??

buffhawk84

Reaction score
Hey all,

Living in Long Island and only having the option of classic rock stations which play good songs 20% of the time vs. top 40 stations which play something good 0% of the time, I'm in desperate need of some google music. I wish there was a car dock similar to the one motorola dropped for the OG droid, but I haven't found anything.

I need something that will fit the gnex + the thickness of the otterbox defender case the dimensions height x width x thickness are as follows 5.67 in x 3.07 in x 0.77 in (144.0 mm x 78.0 mm x 19.6 mm for our non-US friends). The dock will be mounted above my cd deck (I have a flat vertical area that has a plastic disc stuck to it for suctioning). I'm looking for something that is sturdy and will lock into place - once it's in, it's not moving. My ideal dock would have ports for the 1/8" jack and charger, though this is not imperative.

I have perused the proclip and am interested, but unsure if it's worth the money. Anyone out there want to share their experiences with these mounts?

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to help me out!

PS - if this helps, car dock is for a 2006 Ford Mustang GT

OP
buffhawk84

buffhawk84

Reaction score
I heard mixed reviews on the exomount. Some say it's made of cheap plastic and shakes around a lot. Have you experienced that?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

GoBears

Reaction score
Personally I love it. I live in NE PA with potholes and terrible roads so my alignment is always out of whack. I don't think this mount shakes anymore than any other mount I've ever had. Plus it's 20 bucks and holds anything. Yes it's plastic but I've never had a car dock that wasn't.

OP
buffhawk84

buffhawk84

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for posting - go giants!

mleber

Reaction score
Hey all,

Living in Long Island and only having the option of classic rock stations which play good songs 20% of the time vs. top 40 stations which play something good 0% of the time, I'm in desperate need of some google music. I wish there was a car dock similar to the one motorola dropped for the OG droid, but I haven't found anything.

I need something that will fit the gnex + the thickness of the otterbox defender case the dimensions height x width x thickness are as follows 5.67 in x 3.07 in x 0.77 in (144.0 mm x 78.0 mm x 19.6 mm for our non-US friends). The dock will be mounted above my cd deck (I have a flat vertical area that has a plastic disc stuck to it for suctioning). I'm looking for something that is sturdy and will lock into place - once it's in, it's not moving. My ideal dock would have ports for the 1/8" jack and charger, though this is not imperative.

I have perused the proclip and am interested, but unsure if it's worth the money. Anyone out there want to share their experiences with these mounts?

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to help me out!

PS - if this helps, car dock is for a 2006 Ford Mustang GT

If you have a CD slot look at the mountek. Just got it for my razr, it is very nice. does not suction to the windshield but rather slides into the cd player in your car but doesn't stop CD or dvds from playing. Fits great, holds tight, phone fits in vertically then can swivel horizontally. $20 Amazon or buy.com.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

GoBears

Reaction score
Your welcome and I hope the Giants beat them good. I obviously despise the Packers lol.

OP
buffhawk84

buffhawk84

Reaction score
If you have a CD slot look at the mountek. Just got it for my razr, it is very nice. does not suction to the windshield but rather slides into the cd player in your car but doesn't stop CD or dvds from playing. Fits great, holds tight, phone fits in vertically then can swivel horizontally. $20 Amazon or buy.com.

Does the piece on the bottom of the mountek dock obstruct the charging or 1/8" ports?

mleber

Reaction score
Does the piece on the bottom of the mountek dock obstruct the charging or 1/8" ports?

So, I have a RAZR and the charging port and headphone jack, etc are all at the top of the phone. So, I would imagine that if your charging ports are at the bottom, it would obstruct. The dock swivels horizontally side to side, could you put your Nexus in the Mountek dock upside down then just rotate with the mount (it doesn't swivel 360 degrees but if you are swiveling to horizontal position, does it matter if your phone is upside down)?

Anyway, good luck to you.

This dock is so great, it's one of those, I can't believe I didn't invent it myself kinda invention.

WPThunder25

Reaction score

Customer Image Gallery for Mountek CD Slot Mount MT5000-C, Universal Hands Free Car Mount for Cell Phones, Satellite Radios & GPS Deviceshere's a picture in there that shows the Gnex in the dock. It blocks the headphone jack but not the power it looks like.

Sorry I couldn't link it to the exact picture.

OP
buffhawk84

buffhawk84

Reaction score
Customer Image Gallery for Mountek CD Slot Mount MT5000-C, Universal Hands Free Car Mount for Cell Phones, Satellite Radios & GPS Deviceshere's a picture in there that shows the Gnex in the dock. It blocks the headphone jack but not the power it looks like.

Sorry I couldn't link it to the exact picture.

It is a great idea, but it looks like it won't work for my car - the dc jack is right above my cd slot so the mount would get in the way of the charger. It's looking like the exomount may be my best bet. I'm gonna try it out and let you know how it works.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
I just purchased Cellet Brand magnet holder. It was like $6 shipped from amazon.

Search for it.

I think its going to work perfect for me until an official dock comes out with the pogo pins.

Basically what it does is you attach a small circular piece of metal to your phone (case) and the other part mounts to your car. The phone is magnetically held in place when you need to mount it.

I've used similar devices in the past for mp3 players. The magnet will not affect the phone any.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

OP
buffhawk84

buffhawk84

Reaction score
I went with the exogear mount and have been satisfied thus far. The screen gets a little shaky at times, but the sticky suction is the best mount I've seen. Thanks again for all your help, droids!

tek112

Reaction score

This has to be the coolest mount I have ever seen!