Best Buy or VZW Store?

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
I tried searching for this but the search told me "best" and "buy" were too small and would not be included in the search - sorry.

Anyway, I'm about to pick up a Droid today and was wondering where the best place to get it is. The VZW store sells it for 299 and has a 100 dollar rebate. Best Buy has it for 199 because it applies the rebate instantly. Of course Best Buy seems like a no-brainer, but is there a catch?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tried searching for this but the search told me "best" and "buy" were too small and would not be included in the search - sorry.

Anyway, I'm about to pick up a Droid today and was wondering where the best place to get it is. The VZW store sells it for 299 and has a 100 dollar rebate. Best Buy has it for 199 because it applies the rebate instantly. Of course Best Buy seems like a no-brainer, but is there a catch?

Best buy if you want the discount today. There is no catch. Order online from VZW and you get the discount immediately also. Warranty is done through VZW either way.

fatalysis

Reaction score
Warranty is done through VZW either way.

I don't believe this is true. Best Buy offers a different warranty which I think is better than what VZW offers. Best Buy has no deductible and covers the phone if it ever gets stolen. VZW has a deductible (a high one at that that IMO) and only covers the phone if its damaged. If it's stolen, you're out of luck.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Looks like Dell is still $119 for new customers and 2 year extensions.

If you're with Verizon and have NE2 then check out your upgrade options directly from them.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
VZW has a deductible (a high one at that that IMO) and only covers the phone if its damaged. If it's stolen, you're out of luck.

Wrong..from Verizon's website

"Total Equipment Coverage* offers complete protection for your wireless equipment. It combines the benefits of Asurion’s Wireless Phone Protection with the Verizon Wireless Extended Warranty program. If your device or covered accessories are inoperable for any reason-lost, stolen, accidentally damaged, or malfunctioning-you are covered."

Read here ... Calling Features: Total Equipment Coverage

Last edited:
OP
C3-PO

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
if you go to best buy take this with you:

Welcome to our Wireless World

and they will price match...i got mine at bb and had no issues..

I don't believe this is true. Best Buy offers a different warranty which I think is better than what VZW offers. Best Buy has no deductible and covers the phone if it ever gets stolen. VZW has a deductible (a high one at that that IMO) and only covers the phone if its damaged. If it's stolen, you're out of luck.

Does Best Buy's warranty cost more than verizon's?

thelion

Reaction score
I caution folks about 3rd party retailers. BB is a large company and usually reliable. However, I go with VZW (even though I pay more) because of the extra leverage I have via my contract. If a problem is "unfixable" I use the "well maybe I should cancel then and switch to AT&T" You'd be surprised how quickly VZW finds a solution....

With BB, you have no such leverage. They couldn't care less if you cancel with VZW.

Just something to think on. In addition, BB is notorious for denying extended service coverage on electronics so...I wouldn't buy it.

thelion

Reaction score
BTW, my insurance through VZW covers if it is lost or stolen as well. It is relatively cheap and does have a deductible ($89) but it isn't a bad deal considering the retail price of the phone.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Let me explain. If I go buy a phone from BB and it's a Droid. Then it malfunctions after the 30 days. I call tech support at VZW. Then the tech says we are replacing your device under warranty. Fed ex 2 days. That is warranty.

Now if you need insurance then you need to buy it. Like I did. That is not a warranty. It is INSURANCE. I am not wrong here. Like others have said the insurance covers all issues with a deductible. If it takes a swim they replace it. If it gets run over they replace it. etc. etc.