Best Buy Glitch? (Getting Phone at Contract Price while Keeping Unlimited)

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless' started by ScarletBuckeye, Feb 5, 2014.

1. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    I'd just point out that while traditionally VZW has not taken adverse actions against a customer because of a glitch on their end, it is entirely within their right to force you onto a limited plan because that is what you agreed to when you got the subsidy. They are highly unlikely to do that and it's probably well worth the risk, but don't come crying if they drop the hammer.

Although it's interesting they haven't fixed this glitch when they almost certainly are aware of it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,027
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    Try it and let us know...

3. itbedave

itbedave New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Please show me in my contract where I agreed to a limited contact in order to get the phone subsidy.

I actually don't think it's a "glitch." I think it's a loophole in the way the agreement with Best Buy has been written as a reseller of Verizon services, and that itself is a contract that can't be changed. Which is why you can still do this.

4. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +952
    The Customer Agreements I deal with have a list of features included for that phone line. You are signing saying you understand and agree to these features

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    My understanding is when you select the option, you are told you will have to choose a new plan or something to that effect. The glitch is it doesn't actually force you to select a new plan. There's no loophole - if VZW wanted to continue subsidizing unlimited plans they would have never taken it away from us. And there's no way Best Buy gets enough money from VZW to cover that $300 or so subsidy for your phone.

But I assure you, in your old TOS and the new TOS, when you do a new contract (a.k.a subsidized phone) you are choosing a new plan. And since your old plan is no longer offered, they got you. They probably will never do anything, but it is entirely within their right. Also, I'm pretty sure it is set-up to boot you to a new plan as soon as you turn it on, which is why you have to use your old sim. That's not a loophole - that phone is purchased and shipped to move you to a new plan...this is just a flaw in the execution that people found a workaround for.

It's hardly unprecedented. More than a few people have walked out of a store or dealership having been charged the wrong price. And I'm pretty sure they have at least 12 months to come after you to get the difference for their error. I myself have corrected and billed significant undercharges B2B more than 12 months later. It is actually a legal right the seller has. VZW could do one of two things - boot you onto a limited contract or charge you (or BB, who then charges you) for the difference. And you're choice would be to accept it or pay an ETF.

• Like Like x 1
Search tags for this page
best buy glitch
best buy keep unlimited data verizon
best buy verizon keep unlimited data
best buy verizon unlimited data

keep unlimited data verizon best buy

keep verizon unlimited data best buy
keeping unlimited data verizon best buy
verizon unlimited data best buy

verizon unlimited data loophole

verizon upgrade unlimited data