Best Buy employees are idiots!

Dan_08

Reaction score
I went on launch day and they said they were all sold out. So I put my name on the list, they said they would call....Well today I took my wife to see the demo, and below the demo were 10 Xoom's just chillen... I ask the guy if I could have one and he said no! WTF?! I said why not I pre-ordered, he said the price was gonna drop on the 4th with a data plan, I said so what...I want to just buy it no plan. My wife being the impatient one, went and grabbed another associate to open the cage and give me one, he got one then took me to the register and said, I don't know how to sell these...holy crap! Are you serious? He takes me back to cell phones and the kid at the registers says OK we have to sign you up on a plan...ummmm no you don't. We bicker back and forth and I said screw just sell it to me.... then another guy says wait you don't need a plan just ring it up! Wow what an experience!

But finally I got it and it is amazing! I'd tolerate a hundred of those idiots for this thing...800 dollars was a lot but I have no remorse.

Plus got it tethered to the OG droid using bluetooth. And was able to talk video chat on it. So I am very satisfied.
Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Wow, what dummies. At least you were able to get one.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Infiniti87

Reaction score
Yes best buy employees are idiots but sometimes that can work out to your advantage. I went to get mine on launch day with the plan of signing a two year contract so I could get the discounted price. Well after doing the contract and he was ringing me up I noticed that the xoom rang up at 799 instead of 599. I brought this to the guys attention and he looked onto it. He pulled out this stack of papers and started going through it and pulled out a paper about the xoom. According to the paper it said that at launch best buy would not be selling the xooms at a discounted price even with a 2 year contract. Well all in all after talking to 2 managers I ended up getting my xoom for 599 plus 20 percent off both the case and dock. When I got home I logged on to my Verizon to check out my contract and low and behold the idiot signed me up for month to month :) so I got my xoom for 599 with no contract.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
That's pretty lucky. I might have to go into my local best buy and see how much they know about it. Maybe I can get a pretty good deal.

OP
D

Dan_08

Reaction score
Yes best buy employees are idiots but sometimes that can work out to your advantage. I went to get mine on launch day with the plan of signing a two year contract so I could get the discounted price. Well after doing the contract and he was ringing me up I noticed that the xoom rang up at 799 instead of 599. I brought this to the guys attention and he looked onto it. He pulled out this stack of papers and started going through it and pulled out a paper about the xoom. According to the paper it said that at launch best buy would not be selling the xooms at a discounted price even with a 2 year contract. Well all in all after talking to 2 managers I ended up getting my xoom for 599 plus 20 percent off both the case and dock. When I got home I logged on to my Verizon to check out my contract and low and behold the idiot signed me up for month to month :) so I got my xoom for 599 with no contract.

Yeah that is a good idea...I did get an open box deal on the portfolio case though.

OP
D

Dan_08

Reaction score
Now that i started the post just wanted to say not all BB employees are dumb just the ones i dealt with today.

keiichi25

Reaction score
Well, here is what I saw with Best Buy and also Verizon...

One - Employees are not getting 100% trained. Unfortunately, in the case of Verizon and Best Buy, a lot of their employees are not hired to be 100% tech experts. They are hired to sell and help customers get what they want.

Two - Not all of them are informed of all the particulars in their training. I found that some of the Best Buy Employees had to refer to another employee with some of the particulars. The Verizon person I spoke with was unaware of the 4G upgrade option, believing it was over the air. So training didn't cover all the facts.

Some are also particularly biased. Point in fact. The Best Buy I was at, one of them was telling some of us we wanted to get an iPad, it's better. I disagreed. He insisted the iPad is better than the Xoom. It could also be that he was trying to sell something, at the time the Best Buy was out of Xooms at the time, of course, didn't know that until I spoke with another employee at the time.

Some things to note:

When I spoke with another Best Buy Employee, they were not a Verizon Wireless Dealer, persay, but a reseller. So in their case, they cannot do the 2 year contract sign-ups. They can do month to month as they aren't directly tied to the Verizon Wireless System like the Verizon Wireless Stores are. Your mileage may vary with different Best Buy groups and also how well they are trained.

Newton122189

Reaction score
The way I look at it, the people with high level technical ability usually have more important jobs than being a sales rep at verizon and best buy. Typically the people working in these retail sales rep positions are just your average joe citizen, not tech geeks.

However, people on sites like this one, are usually tech geeks. Im sure you have been in the situation where you know more about a product than the person selling it to you, its because the people on sites like this are rarely your average consumer.

LaxzBro

Reaction score
The way I look at it, the people with high level technical ability usually have more important jobs than being a sales rep at verizon and best buy. Typically the people working in these retail sales rep positions are just your average joe citizen, not tech geeks.

However, people on sites like this one, are usually tech geeks. Im sure you have been in the situation where you know more about a product than the person selling it to you, its because the people on sites like this are rarely your average consumer.

It was actually a Verizon sales rep who showed me this forum. I went in because my video camera wasn't working and he saw ATK and was like "Aw hell naw"

Lax bro, closet geek

Newton122189

Reaction score

It was actually a Verizon sales rep who showed me this forum. I went in because my video camera wasn't working and he saw ATK and was like "Aw hell naw"

Lax bro, closet geek

I'm sure there are plenty of tech geeks working at Verizon and Best Buy and probably many other stores as well. However, typically, they dont know much more than the average person on the street.

They often act like they know more than they do and I've actually embarrassed some sales reps before by instinctively correcting them when they provide false information. Its sort of a dick move on my part but when a sales rep tells me something thats incorrect it makes me cringe to think how many other people they told that too that believed them.

For instance I have a friend who refuses to believe that the iPhone 4 isnt a 4G device. An apple "genius" told him that the iPhone 4 only has 3G for now but will be 4G capable once its available on AT&T's network. Because the apple "genius" told him that, he swears I'm just trying to trick him or something. I just gave up trying to argue with him about it cuz he's dead set that he's gonna be able to use the 4G data on AT&T's network in the near future. Its really funny actually.

tommyb38

Reaction score

One - Employees are not getting 100% trained. Unfortunately, in the case of Verizon and Best Buy, a lot of their employees are not hired to be 100% tech experts. They are hired to sell and help customers get what they want.

Two - Not all of them are informed of all the particulars in their training. I found that some of the Best Buy Employees had to refer to another employee with some of the particulars. The Verizon person I spoke with was unaware of the 4G upgrade option, believing it was over the air. So training didn't cover all the facts.

Some are also particularly biased. Point in fact. The Best Buy I was at, one of them was telling some of us we wanted to get an iPad, it's better. I disagreed. He insisted the iPad is better than the Xoom. It could also be that he was trying to sell something, at the time the Best Buy was out of Xooms at the time, of course, didn't know that until I spoke with another employee at the time.

Some things to note:

When I spoke with another Best Buy Employee, they were not a Verizon Wireless Dealer, persay, but a reseller. So in their case, they cannot do the 2 year contract sign-ups. They can do month to month as they aren't directly tied to the Verizon Wireless System like the Verizon Wireless Stores are. Your mileage may vary with different Best Buy groups and also how well they are trained.

I will promise you that Verizon employees are educated and trained on the devices. The difference is how much you take away from those trainings. I would say that it is correct in that some of Verizon's employee's are just there to sell, but we are all commissioned sales people and a well informed and knowledgeable salesperson will make more money. I have fellow employees in my store that are clueless about the specs of most devices. They know a price and that is about it.

Newton122189

Reaction score

Some things to note:

I will promise you that Verizon employees are educated and trained on the devices. The difference is how much you take away from those trainings. I would say that it is correct in that some of Verizon's employee's are just there to sell, but we are all commissioned sales people and a well informed and knowledgeable salesperson will make more money. I have fellow employees in my store that are clueless about the specs of most devices. They know a price and that is about it.

the fact that you are a member on this website means that everything he said doesnt apply to you lol

joker402

Reaction score
This is why Verizon stores are encouraged. You did not give them your Soc and you didnt sign anything did you?

OP
D

Dan_08

Reaction score
No didn't give them anything cause when he was using the computer "beast" I think he called it, another rep came over to correct him. It is a training flaw, but they should at least have some sort of training guide.h