best browser for droid

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pinch zoom is nice, but I am realizing more and more that it is honestly a bit gimicky and less functional for a browser.
It's really a matter of subjective preference. I find it very useful. YMMV. I know it's easy to perceive anything you don't get as gimmicky or overrated.

orion2001

Reaction score
Pinch zoom is nice, but I am realizing more and more that it is honestly a bit gimicky and less functional for a browser.
It's really a matter of subjective preference. I find it very useful. YMMV. I know it's easy to perceive anything you don't get as gimmicky or overrated.

Sure YMMV, but it's not like I don't "get" it, it's just pinch-zoom, not rocket science. It is useful, and I'd love to have it in conjunction with the double-tap zoom, not as an either-or option. The primary reason for that is that double-tap works much better for single handed browsing. If you are browsing a 3-column site which isn't formatted for mobile devices it is much easier to browse via the stock browser. You double tap to zoom in on one columns text...once you;re done, you can double tap to zoom out to get a snapshot of the whole page again. Then double tap to zoom in on another column of interest with all the text aligned nicely against the left of the screen. If you tried that with just pinch-zoom, a) You'd have to use two hands, one to hold the phone, the other to perform the pinch-zoom. b) Zoom in on a column with pinch zoom, and then also manually scroll to align the left edge of the column with your screen. c) Once you're done, you'll have to pinch-zoom to zoom out, then scroll/pinchzoom to the new column and again re-align the left edge of the column. Double-tap is definitely a lot more convenient and works better in such scenarios.

Of course it does have its benefits with picture heavy/media rich sites when there isn't any real defined columns of text. However, in my daily browsing, I am usually doing far more of of the former than the latter and I find the double-tap to save me the most time.

Anyways, I did enable the regular droid zoom option in Dolphin, and that works well enough instead (although double-tap would be sweet imho). Now I am back to being as conflicted as ever on which browser I prefer.

Last edited:

hyunkoon

Reaction score
I think utilizing your computer's browser via phonemypc is the best

vinimack720

Reaction score
Yeah I used Dolphin for quite a while, then switched to xscope. It definitely isn't polished but it is pretty damn quick. I liked the way dolphin operated and such but there was some annoyances as well! It was definitely slow, it never had a start page, refresh/stop buttons were awkward, and some other things. Stock browser is good minus pinch zoom which is huge for me and it doesn't resize well. One reason I am still using xscope is because it auto-resizes perfectly. I would never pay for xscope though, not polished enough and not feature rich enough to pay for. Also, I won't buy much of anything until I test the new 2.1 platform.

How do you get it in desktop mode? Is that only in the paid one and not in the free one?

Locnar

Reaction score
No fans of the Opera mini? Or is it even out for the Droid yet?

BBC

Reaction score
I really like Opera Mini other than not being able to set it as the default browser. Since it's still beta, I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before that gets resolved.

Mojo

Reaction score
x scope is the best browser in my opinion. To me it has everything the default browser is missing.

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
+1 for xScope (paid version) - full feature and the developer is ultra responsive! The ready made links to sites like Facebook, etc. makes it too easy, but all around the features make the stock browser not even close (in my opinion)

authority11

Reaction score
+1 for xScope (paid version) - full feature and the developer is ultra responsive! The ready made links to sites like Facebook, etc. makes it too easy, but all around the features make the stock browser not even close (in my opinion)

What are feature diffs between paid and free version of xScope?

xowktiger

Reaction score

Sure YMMV, but it's not like I don't "get" it, it's just pinch-zoom, not rocket science. It is useful, and I'd love to have it in conjunction with the double-tap zoom, not as an either-or option. The primary reason for that is that double-tap works much better for single handed browsing. If you are browsing a 3-column site which isn't formatted for mobile devices it is much easier to browse via the stock browser. You double tap to zoom in on one columns text...once you;re done, you can double tap to zoom out to get a snapshot of the whole page again. Then double tap to zoom in on another column of interest with all the text aligned nicely against the left of the screen. If you tried that with just pinch-zoom, a) You'd have to use two hands, one to hold the phone, the other to perform the pinch-zoom. b) Zoom in on a column with pinch zoom, and then also manually scroll to align the left edge of the column with your screen. c) Once you're done, you'll have to pinch-zoom to zoom out, then scroll/pinchzoom to the new column and again re-align the left edge of the column. Double-tap is definitely a lot more convenient and works better in such scenarios.

Of course it does have its benefits with picture heavy/media rich sites when there isn't any real defined columns of text. However, in my daily browsing, I am usually doing far more of of the former than the latter and I find the double-tap to save me the most time.

Anyways, I did enable the regular droid zoom option in Dolphin, and that works well enough instead (although double-tap would be sweet imho). Now I am back to being as conflicted as ever on which browser I prefer.