Best Battery tips for cm7?

James_W

Reaction score
I must not use my phone as much as I think I do. Yesterday I was at 16 hours with 30ish% left. with 1hr 45min of display time. at work I run Remote Web Desktop to read/reply to my text messages from my computer. It is sitting on wifi during that time, but the wifi never sleeps. on the battery stats it said stay awake for 4 hours. Guess that means how much time was spent transmitting data.

Anyway, I hope that helps some. I am on build 29, and use SetCPU to limit the CPU to only run at 300Mhz when the screen is off.

Dream

Reaction score
Doesn't this ROM already have the CPU set at 300 when it sleeps? I thought it did....

James_W

Reaction score
No, my understanding is the CPU itself is still allowed to throttle up and down as needed by apps in the background. I could be way off, I am 90% sure that is how the stock rom works since I noticed a significant increase by setting it to do that. And would wager to say that it is the case here.

That being said I haven't totally gone through all the settings in CM7 yet, so it may already be set to do that, in which case I have no idea why I am seeing decent battery life.

Chillout

Reaction score
so, from reading other threads it seems liberty 0.9 has much better battery life then cm7?

To say the least...

I've given up on CM7 for now, I'm going back to either Apex or aosp Liberty tonight. I need my battery life and camcorder.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

I don't have any problems with the camcorder or camera on CM7, but yes the battery life is sub par still.

gambit07

Reaction score
I'm going through testing with quickclock to see how low of a vsel I can get at the stock speeds. Right now I'm at
1000 @ 47vsel
800 @ 40vsel
600 @ 30vsel
300 @ 15vsel

All except 1000MHz are what quickclock gave me, and for 1000MHz I've lowered it a little from the calibrated number.

I've also been more conscious of turning off wifi when I'm out. With Apex and AOSP Liberty I could just leave it on and not worry about battery life, but CM7 is another story. I also make sure to turn off my phone when I know I won't be able to use it, like in meetings or movies. I really wish CM7 had a sleep mode like the stock Motorola GB has.

You can use Tasker to do almost anything you want, one thing it can do though is turn wifi off when you leave your house and turn it back on when you return automagically, saves battery for me since I pretty much never remembered to do it on my own. I get 15-20ish hours on battery typically, not too bad.

sigua

Reaction score
so, from reading other threads it seems liberty 0.9 has much better battery life then cm7?

To say the least...

I've given up on CM7 for now, I'm going back to either Apex or aosp Liberty tonight. I need my battery life and camcorder.

i just feel like going back is a pain lol

That's how I felt, but my phone almost died on me because of the bad battery life and I had enough. Getting set up to sbf is the hardest part. Actually doing it is a piece of cake and only takes maybe 20 minutes, most of which is spent waiting for things to load. Now I'm back to Liberty AOSP and getting roughly 40% better battery life (at 70% after 7 hours, as opposed to about 50% after the same amount of time).

I miss some aspects of CM7, but not enough to have to change how I use my phone to make it through a whole day.

Chillout

Reaction score
So here's my question and believe me it's no disrespect to the outstanding devs that created CM7 for our beloved DX's. My question is, if battery life such a problem with this rom, reported by countless users, shouldn't that be the most important fix in these nightlies that come out? It seems the battery life gets alittle better with one release and then alittle worse with the next.

I've said before I have no idea what goes into the roms updates and how intensive the fixes are for each one, but it seems to be that I'd rather forgo the bells and whistles and just get the battery life up to par. Then once you do that release nightlies around the fix. That way you can tell more easily where the problems are.

I have the luxury of being able to charge my phone while I'm at work so the the poor battery life isn't as bad for me. However on the weekends it is hard to deal with it when you're out and about all day and your phone is dying before your eyes quicker than it should.

griz.droidx

Reaction score
Greetings, I was just perusing the various forums and came across this. I am on CM7 nightly 30. At first I was questioning battery life too. I'm not sure what fixed it, but even without using the "sleep" mode and just hitting the power button, you can see below what kind of life I'm getting. Not too shabby for CM7 or any rom for that matter. Granted, I didn't make a ton of calls yesterday, nor did I stay on the internet forever. Nevertheless I have never had battery life this good on ANY 596 rom. Aosp Lib, Apex, Lib, DSX, Zombie 595, you name em, and I've tried em. Although I have to say, after removing a lot of the blur from Zombie a couple of months ago, it got excellent battery life. Darkslide X is not bad considering it's a blurry rom. Lib and Apex are both awesome too. But I don't think I've ever had battery life this good.

sigua

Reaction score
It's crazy that your display is using so little of your power. It's pretty much always at the to for me, even turning it off when I'm done, low brightness, and everything else. I guess I just browse a lot.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how that's even possible lol. I guess I use my phone too much.

CM74DX

griz.droidx

Reaction score
Like I said fellows, That was not a typical day.. Only a few calls, no texts, and very little browsing <30min at work all day, 10 hours, yard work all evening. However. I did that to illustrate one thing that I griped about on another forum. Standby Time. Do you guys get that kind of standby time? That's my question to you..

To answer the original post:

1. I did the display brightness tweak.
2. Imoseyon Tweak. (may not be needed)
3. V6 (may not be needed) Launcher is hard to kill, Megamemory Device 10 I think is the option.
4. Battery Calibration (a must of course)

Now, I don't know and can't say if those tweaks helped. I do know that before those I would lose at least 20% at night. Now I only lose like 5%. I will use my device normally tomorrow and report back. If only HDMI worked.

Me and a guy on that other forum are both gonna use our phones normally in the next day or two.. I'm not sure if he's on here, but I'll post back at least my results. And after a little browsing tonight using tapatalk, display started using more than anything else.

Last edited: