Best app for reading & learning the Bible

jrod2183

Reaction score

Thanks

If you just search for "bible" in the market place a couple of good options pop up at the top. I have the Bible by LifeChurch.tv, it has tons of versions and you can bookmark passages by clicking on a verse (or verses) and the longpressing to set a bookmark. Haven't spent too much time with it but I like it so far. Also, you might want to check out "the christian patriot" app, again just got it so haven't spent much time with it, but it has a ton of info, like the westminster confession of faith, various creeds, and even historical documents of America like the Declaration of Independence and the Mayflower compact. And if your interested in daily bible verses check out the DailyBibleVerse Widget by Andrei Goumilevski.

MarkDF

Reaction score

Thanks
I have the Bible by LifeChurch.tv, it has tons of versions and you can bookmark passages by clicking on a verse (or verses) and the longpressing to set a bookmark.

Does the LifeChurch.tv Bible app use files locally stored on the Droid, or does it require internet access to get the Bible text online? I ask because I've never seen some of the versions they offer for free access (particularly the NIV) offered in a local version. I'm interested in local version for those times that I don't have wifi or 3g and would still like to have access.

Thanks.

acepelon

Reaction score
The youversion bible is online only at the present time on Android. VirtueBible allows for many downloadable versions although you won't get NIV. Of all of its myriad translations, not one is my favorite, but the interface is very good. Finding passages during sermon is very easy- easier in VirtueBible than any other app I have used- and that makes a big difference to me.

I have not seen any apps that I like with NIV using a local version- Zondervan would not allow it with my favorite iPhone app BibleXpress even though we begged and pleaded.

DarrellM5

Reaction score
The Lifechurch.tv Bible pulls the data from online. That's why it's a free app that's able to access non-free versions of the Bible. I like it because it's got NKJV and a daily reading plan that takes you directly to the chapters for the day.

acepelon

Reaction score
Great points DarrellM5. I guess it really depends on what you want it for. VirtueBible, for example, has a memorizer function to memorize verses more easily. But neither of these two have a really good notes section that isn't tied directly to specific verses. One thing I really liked about the iPhone's BibleXpress was that you could write your sermon notes all in one place and then tag them to tie them to the bible quotations. With VirtueBible, even though it has tags and categories and such, there isn't a place just for note-taking. So I take my notes in Evernote which works great on the Droid and just keep my verses for the day tagged and categorized in VB. Especially the ability to multitask on the Droid makes flipping between the two apps during study/ sermon very easy. With the iPhone, although it can't do two apps at once, its BibleXpress app allows all of the features I like within the app itself. Can't lose with any of these options. It is amazing the opportunities we are given as long as we aren't overruled by our cynicism.

snowman

Reaction score
MarkDF, mark NIV is a pretty Standard ersion used now days it's the New International Version, it's a good one , I use New American Standard (NAS) I like it a little better, but thats all what you like stuff, but I think you might like NIV

MarkDF

Reaction score
Good points here. I'm asking for a couple of different uses. I'm ok with a reader that pulls data from online with the Droid and 3G, but I'm also curious for offline readers for my son and his iPod Touch. He's got wifi at home, but no wifi at school and he'd like to get offline Bible there.

He downloaded OliveTree's reader which has free (I assume because the text is public domain) KVJ and NAS. You can purchase NIV for them (if I read their web site correctly).

I've been using the mobile version of BibleGateway, but they don't support bookmarks or integrated reading plan, which makes the lifechurch reader look appealing. Until I decide on a reader, I'll stay with the mobile version of youversion.com.

refthemc

Reaction score
I use an app called, LiveBible. The main reason I switched from the "Youversion" bible was because I like to have the titles above each section of the chapter, its makes it easier to navigate for me. But like the youversion bible your gonna need an internet connection present.

TheZuneLune

Reaction score
OliveTree

:motdroidhoriz:
I just installed the Olive TRee Biblereader. I use the ESV, so it was not free, but realy worthwhile nonetheless. I do actually have family in areas where the data signal is weak, so having it on the device is a big bonus.

The reaosn the Olive Tree reader is so great is the bookstore with free and paid ebooks that go along with it. There is a free of John Piper resources (of course, he loves to make stuff free) as well as a lot of other stuff and it seems as though they are ramping up their Android support.

It is one of the best apps I have installed on the device to date.