Best App for Making International Calls Home

robc311

Reaction score
I have a Droid X with the OTA Gingerbread update and I am looking for an app to use to make calls home to the US over WIFI while I am in Costa Rica. I had Fring and it worked fine until the GB update and now the mic doesn't work so it's worthless. I'm considering Vopium as an alternative...does anyone have experience with that app? Or is there another app that is recommended? Thanks for your suggestions.

OP
R

robc311

Reaction score
Are you talking about pc skype or skype mobile? The version of Skype on the Droid X cannot make calls over WIFI...so it will not work for what I need.

Atook

Reaction score
While in Costa Rica this past April I used google voice to call home (US) and wasn't charged at all. This was via PC though. I would think you could use Android as well.

OP
R

robc311

Reaction score
Actually, I already checked on Google Voice and that won't work either. Has anyone used Vopium over wifi from another country to the US?

Snow02

Reaction score
Try groove ip. It uses your google voice number to place voip calls.

OP
R

robc311

Reaction score
Well, I just got an email from Fring tech support and they sent me a beta version of Fring to try...and it works now! So, I will be able to call home via wifi using Fring. Thanks for all the help.