Best and most convenient extended battery for Razr?

STLPilot

Reaction score
Do a lot of travelling and need a plug in / external battery, but something that fits and works nicely with razr. Are there any custom snap on ones anyone seen?

Thanks!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Take a look at this, I haven't bought it yet, but I think its the only way to charge the razr on the go.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c...ryDetails&archetypeId=12824&accessoryId=47872

I have it and it works as expected. Since it's made by Motorola, and for Motorola products, it is your most appropriate choice, however it will only charge the phone once, and doesn't provide a 100% charge from a completely dead phone. It will charge to 100% if the phone has around 20% remaining.

The difference between this one and many of the others out there is that this one is a true "CHARGER", not just an external power source. What I mean by that is, this will unload its charge onto the phone and drain itself when you press the charge button. Other external power sources only drain as the phone uses it up, so there is always at least as much left in the external power source as there is in the phone. If the phone has for instance 900mAh still in it, and the external power source has 900mAh, the external power source will not actually charge the phone, but will allow the phone to use the power from itself as part of its own. In other words, they will both drain equally until they are both empty.

The way to tell one from the other is if the charger has a button that you actually activate the charging process from, and if the phone doesn't actually detect the charger as having been plugged in until that button has been pushed, then you know you have a "charger" and not just an external power source. This may not be 100% accurate of a way to determine one from the other, but if the external source doesn't have any buttons, you can be relatively sure it's not a "charger".

There are others out there that are true "chargers" and have a much larger battery reserve. I have seen some as large as 8000mAh, and I know there are even larger ones. The sacrifice is that with the larger ones, they are physically larger as well.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-accessories/192257-video-new-trent-imp99d-portable-charger-droid-razr.html

C
heck out the videos this user did, the one battery will charge the Razr four and a half times to 100%, much better than not even being able to charge to 100% once from a dead battery with the Moto charger.

The video proves this one is a CHARGER, not just a external power source. dancedroid Since he had to hit and hold the charger button for 4 seconds before the phone even knew it was connected proves it. This is one heck of a power bank. :blink: I also LOVE that it has TWO ports, and they are both rated for different values (1 Amp and 2 Amps), but I would like it even more if you could specify the amperage for either or both ports such as with a slide switch, perhaps to selections such as 500mAh, 750mAh, 1A, 1.25A, etc... Since the rate the phone charges is dictated by both the voltage and amperage available, you are actually charging 33% faster with the New Trent than with the stock charger (which is rated at 750mAh) while on the 1 Amp port. DO NOT connect to the 2 Amp port under any circumstances, as it will cause the battery on the RAZR to heat up to potentially dangerous and damaging levels, and could result in a failure of the phone, not to mention voiding the warranty.

The only drawback (which is unavoidable due to present battery technology) is the size. I found the Motorola one that TayDee linked to is slim enough to get lost in my pocket, even with the Droid RAZR attached. I also love the short cord and how it stores in the side rather than all those plugs and adapters. Would I like it if it were able to provide more than one charge - well hell yeah, but for my purposes, perhaps 2 charges size would be better for me than that monster supply. I would certainly take something like that New Trent with me on a trip however.

Last edited: