Benefits of powering off

Hollywood67

Reaction score
What are the benefits to powering down the Bionic? How often should I do it?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Do you mean battery calibration wise or how often should you reboot the phone?

dannyxiii

Reaction score
Well for me I leave my phone (and every phone I had) off for at least an hour without it plugged in to a charger after a full charge. I would unplug my phone and leave it off every morning (after charging with the phone over night) while getting ready/going to school. For me it feels like the charge lasts longer and keeps things running smooth.

This habit just formed after I had many issues with one of my first flip phones from Verizon. We had to call Verizon and they told me to try to do this every day to "help with the issues I was having". Not sure if its still needed for todays phones, but I just feel that if I can leave my phone off for an hour or so and it having a possibility of giving my phone longer battery life/longer lifespan of the phone itself I might as well do it.

Lol sorry for the lengthy reply. Just reporting what I've been doing. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
rebooting the phone is pretty much the same as rebooting any tech device.. it allowes the OS to clear it's memory and start fresh. Personally my belief is that a proper power cycle goes in this order (when possible).
Turn the phone off by pressing and holding the power button and then hitting shut down
Pull the battery
Press and hold the power button for at least 10 seconds
Reseat the battery and power the phone back on.

IMO this is the best way to do it.. the battery pull allows any resonant power to discharge which is a good thing.

This is just MY opinion from all the reading I've done.. it's by no means meant to be 100% by the book.

Crux

Reaction score
I personally find it to be more than sufficient to let it do its thing for around 3 days before needing to do a powerdown cycle. The phones don't really build up enough in 3 days to affect the usage. Its better to do it more often; but for those who are lazy and/or forgeful, its simpler.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Power off before a flight takes off. Power back on when they tell you it's ok.:icon_ banana:

Bear in NM

Reaction score
It really will kinda depend upon each user, and what all you are doing in terms of loading up your cache. It is absolutely not necessary to do it every day, but the longer you go, and the more complex things you do on the phone, the more likley you will have some issues. Me, I liked to wipe the cache on my D1 fairly frequently. Not so with the Bionic, as I am only rooted. I do also like to reboot whenever I get updates to apps, although I have no proof that this is needed. Rebooting does not hurt in any way, so there is really no decent reason to not do so every now and again.

Craig

OP
Hollywood67

Hollywood67

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I usually do it every couple of days. I guess I will just keep on with what seems to work...

Sent from my recently powered off DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Blackberry...every day. Android - never. No benefits from rebooting/powering off unless you're having issues.

gsDroid

Reaction score
Blackberry...every day. Android - never. No benefits from rebooting/powering off unless you're having issues.
Why wait for issues? I turn mine off every night. I have an alarm clock, no sense wasting battery, I can't use the phone while I'm sleeping, I know people will have problems eventually if they don't power off once in a while.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Why wait for issues? I turn mine off every night. I have an alarm clock, no sense wasting battery, I can't use the phone while I'm sleeping, I know people will have problems eventually if they don't power off once in a while.
With that mentality, I should change my cars oil everyday cause it's dirty from that day's usage.

dannyxiii

Reaction score
With that mentality, I should change my cars oil everyday cause it's dirty from that day's usage.

I don't think you can compare changing a vehicles motor oil to keeping a phone off while you sleep... o.0

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums