#Bendgate Continues as LG, Samsung and HTC Get in on the Apple Bashing Action

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 6 Plus: Day 8, front pocket, no bending.

Galaxy Note 3: Day 367, back pocket, no bending.

scott craft

Reaction score
Exactly. Those who found out from it bending in their pocket deserve a replacement. Those going world's strongest man on their phones should not get anything. Especially as of late where you can just buy a case. But maybe I'm being too harsh and not understanding those who think it is cool to try and break their 700 phones on YouTube. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

I definitely think this is something that has been a legitimate problem for some and there will be more that experience this problem, but it seems like too many are jumping on the hype train and making their own videos. I'm confident Apple, just like Samsung or any other manufacturer will make this right for the affected customers.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I definitely think this is something that has been a legitimate problem for some and there will be more that experience this problem, but it seems like too many are jumping on the hype train and making their own videos. I'm confident Apple, just like Samsung or any other manufacturer will make this right for the affected customers.
No, they won't. Phone manufacturers have never been one to say, "recall" a device. I've never seen a device actually recalled. They usually come out with a technical bulletin that still won't result in a replacement. If Apple replaces those devices, I will be extremely surprised.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

scott craft

Reaction score
No, they won't. Phone manufacturers have never been one to say, "recall" a device. I've never seen a device actually recalled. They usually come out with a technical bulletin that still won't result in a replacement. If Apple replaces those devices, I will be extremely surprised.

I meant replace the devices that are bent, not a recall. I doubt it's widespread enough for a recall to be seriously considered.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
The ability to bend is an Apple 'feature' so that it will fit nicely against your butt in your back pocket:)

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I actually think this was a logical conclusion to the 'make it thinner' syndrome. Why even have a back or neat metal trims. Just ship in a protective case.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I meant replace the devices that are bent, not a recall. I doubt it's widespread enough for a recall to be seriously considered.
As far as they're concerned, they probably won't get a replacement due to "physical damage". Manufacturers love using that term, from professional experience.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As far as they're concerned, they probably won't get a replacement due to "physical damage". Manufacturers love using that term, from professional experience.

Yup and for people crying how will they know. You can easily tell between a phone being bent in half vs a phone bending in a front pocket.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The problem is with replacing them, people will drop the phone, scratch it, want a new device, and slightly bend it for a replacement. Apple won't replace them. I can almost guarantee it.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think, after a few months when the bulk of 20M+ units have been sold or whatever, this will only be an issue with a few thousand phones (extremely rough estimate from 9 units after 1wk and several million phones in peoples hands).

Even if it's 10k customers total, that will have no impact on Apple. Probably just let those customers go pound salt.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think, after a few months when the bulk of 20M+ units have been sold or whatever, this will only be an issue with a few thousand phones (extremely rough estimate from 9 units after 1wk and several million phones in peoples hands).

Even if it's 10k customers total, that will have no impact on Apple. Probably just let those customers go pound salt.
They'll lose at least that many to another os anyway. No biggie

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

scott craft

Reaction score

Agree. I've read that Apple estimates they sold 10 million iPhones this past weekend, so 1% of that is 100k. 10-15 thousand is a drop in the bucket.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I saw another site defending this.. I can't believe it. Aluminum is a very pliant metal... But not all aluminum is that way. There are different grades of aluminum and they should definitely look into that before they go and open their yaps IMHO. Even made claims that engines are now aluminum so they can "absorb" high pressures and not blow up like cast iron blocks.. Smdh... This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.. The main reason for casting blocks out of aluminum was to help the weight balance of vehicles and because they were able to cast blocks thinner with the stronger aluminum.. (it varies by application)

Apple could've used a stronger grade of aluminum, or even reinforced the problem areas. If you're going to charge a premium for a supposedly premium device... You should put premium effort and materials into it.

We complain about our screens cracking from flex... At least we've never had this..

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've seen the same on another site I visit. They said "It doesn't bend any easier than any other Android phone on the market." They were challenged pretty quickly, and they couldn't come up with a single Android device that has had the same issue.

The thread was eventually overtaken by people doing virtually the same thing we've done here, basically trashing Apple with ridiculous pictures.