Bendable Prototype Smartphone in Action; Controls Apps as it Bends

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
auo-bendable-phone.jpg

We are still some distance in time away from having fully functional bendable retail market smartphones, but they took a big step forward toward reality recently. AUO is a smartphone OEM in China, and they just showed off an animated gif of their new prototype bendable smartphone in action. [Please check out the animated gif in the thread below]

The device is actually able to use the bending of the phone as a control mechanism for the app running on it. We aren't sure how useful this particular "feature" will be in the real world, but it's intriguing to see functioning regardless. Here's a quote with a few more details,

This AUO prototype is hardly ready for primetime, but it’s a pretty novel concept. As you can see in the animation above, bending the phone in different spots actually sends commands that can be used to control apps.

In the case of the software used in this demonstration, bending the phone away from the user zooms in, bending it toward the user zooms out, and bending a corner causes the screen to pan in that direction. ~ BGR

What year do you predict we will see the first truly flexible (in functionality as well as form) smartphone hit the market?

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's that animated gif of the bendable AUO smartphone:

AUO-bend-phone-animation.gif

Source for the animated gif: Engadget China

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm....one of those features that I can't see as being that functional/practical, until developers do something to make me realize it's the greatest thing ever!

It's innovative, but I generally shun any smartphone or action requiring two hands to FULLY interact.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I'll still with Pinch and Pull for Zooming

Amagine

Reaction score
I'm just waiting for a touch smartphone that folds. A La a flip phone.