Benchmark Results with P3 and Chevy Kernels

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by G8GT594, Jul 8, 2010.

1. G8GT594

G8GT594 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick update. Still using p3 1.2ghz lv set at 1200/700 on demand. Idle temps are at 40c which is 104f. Someone correct that if my conversion is wrong. Its been a while. Wondering if everyone that swtiched to a p3 kernel is getting higher temps.

2. G8GT594

G8GT594 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ten times? No need for ten times. I benchmark my phone how I benchmark my computers. Ten times is a little extreme unless testing for stability. But feel free to uload each kernel to your phone and benchmark each ten times!

3. Jmart922

Jmart922 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Currently running jrummys kangrade Droid x theme with p3's 1.2 ghz kernal and my benchmarks are currently running in the 1600s, highest has been 1630, but im hoping to beat that with cm6

4. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    The only issues is your conclusion is based on faulty results. As part of my research on Overclocking the Droid, I have found one thing to be an absolute fact. When using Linkpack to test a kernel, you must remove EVERY application possible and boot the phone with only the OS being the choke point if you are going to only run the test once or twice. Otherwise you must run the Linpack benchmark 10 to 20 times and look for the best MFLOPS. The reason for this is simple. Linkpack is a straight CPU benchmark. That means it can only test the clock rate of the CPU and nothing else. And since ALL kernels have to obey the same laws for running on the OMAP3430, the results will ALWAYS be the same if you remove your background apps and streamline the OS to the bare minimum needed to boot the phone. So a P3Droid, Chevy, Bekit, etc kernel that is clocked at 1.2Ghz will ALWAYS give the same result in linkpack if you setup the test properly.

And if you wish to test this theory, feel free to use the following formula under any Froyo 2.2 ROM and kernel combination with your standard load out of apps. Set Advanced under SetCPU to 32000, 20, 0, 0. Turn off all profiles. Set Min and Max to top frequency choice. Run the benchmark 20 times quickly, remember the top MFLOPS and then take MFLOPs / .01606 = CPU Frequency.

Your current results come out to:

17.406 - 1083.81 Mhz
    16.812 - 1046.82 Mhz
    - 1046.82 Mhz

That means your test results have a 10% error right now. Which is usually considered a large enough discrepancy to invalidate them as useful for making an informed choice.

No one at present has developed a benchmark that is truly useful to pick the best kernel for a particular Droid with a particular load out of apps. I have spent the past four months trying to figure out a way to do just that. And every time I find the flaw in the testing.

BTW, Quadrant has the same issue as Linkpack. The very fact that you can get different results based on running it 10 times, should prove that beyond question.

5. bdholsin

bdholsin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is my best Quadrant benchmark yet.
    [​IMG]
    Originial Droid, running BB, P3 1000Mhz kernel (250 minimum), and Blue Energy theme.

6. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1
    These posts just go to show you how much results vary on different Droids. I've tried every single Froyo kernel available, at least at 1.0Ghz and above. None of the jdflg kernels will even boot on my phone (but some folks swear by them); wait, I take that back: one of them (I don't remember which speed) did boot all the way up, but showed 0 battery when it did, and I was at plugged in and at 100% at the time. The P3 kernels all either won't boot or reboot constantly once they boot up. The jake kernels wouldn't boot for me, and so far Bekit only has an 800Mhz test kernel out. None of the Chevy ULV kernels would boot, and only the Chevy 1.0 and 1.1 LVs would. I used to be able to run Chevy's 1.2Ghz MV kernel on pre-Froyo ROMs, but the 1.2Ghz MV Froyo kernel reboots randomly.

All of my kernel testing has shown that, for my Droid on Froyo, the ONLY one that boots up consistently, and continues to be stable without any heat issues, is Chevy's 1.1Ghz LV kernel. With that 1.1Ghz LV kernel, I'm getting Quadrant scores between 1500 and 1600 consistenly, and that's running BB v0.4 with a modified NexTheme and my normal heavy load of Sweeter Home 2 with 20 widgets and 107 non-system apps. It is snappy, smooth, and has no lag on my setup.

Everyone's Droid is different, and kernels perform differently on every Droid and sometimes even between ROMs on the same Droid.

The only way to judge a kernel's performance is by testing it yourself on your own Droid.

#18 GirLuvsDroid, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  7. SupAll

SupAll Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried P3 Kernels and I loved them on 2.1 (and the respective BB versions), but on BBv0.4, they seem to run hotter than Chevy. Although, Chevy's isn't fun either. I had 1.2 Ghz kernel and when I tried to use the navigation on my Droid, it locked up and rebooted, which I'm assuming is the direct result of overheating. 1.1 GHz has been the most stable for me, and I can get some pretty low temperatures.

8. droid420

droid420 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :lifting:specs in sig

9. Car

Car Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you install a kernel and your phone runs hot, why use it? I can see it running warm when you first install it or that it may run warm for the first few mins after a reboot as the os is loading, but if your phone stays running hot you really ought to consider another kernel. While processors are designed to get hot, there is a point of failure. Also, running hot like that is also going to effect overall life of the CPU. Your also not going to get decent battery life running under those conditions.

10. quit_killin_me

quit_killin_me New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is the kernel I ran to get the 1726 on Quadrant, 250-1250-v32kernel from P3. It was ran on a Moto-Droid, with this release from Pete...VIRGINDEODEXEDFRF84B.zip

11. DHGroove

DHGroove New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm only getting 1196 using Chevy's uLV @ 1.25Ghz and Simply Stunning v4.5. Before I was getting 1022 using his LV@1.0 GHz and SS v4.4.

I just don't know why my scores are so slow compared to everyone else's here. Any guidance?

12. BrownYacht

BrownYacht New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just got 1426 in quadrant. Motor Droid running Chevy's 1.25 ulv kernal. Not sure how good that is, but my phone doesn't really ever get hot with regular browsing. Battery life is also solid

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Search tags for this page
p3 1.2 benchmark

p3 benchmark