bekit Kernel compatible with CM6.1.2?

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by ti-force, Apr 5, 2011.

1. ti-force

ti-force New Member

Hey guys, I'm new to all of this and I have some questions. I recently rooted my Droid, installed CM6.1.2 and I'm thrilled with the results and now I'm interested in overclocking :). I have Rom Manager Premium, and looking under 'Download ROM': 'CyanogenMod', I only see bekit Kernels (0.8.4). Is this compatible with CM 6.1.2? I've searched and searched on here and elsewhere to find info on this, but I've been unsuccessful. If there's already a thread about this I apologize, and if you could please supply me a direct link I don't mind reading. I'm also planning to purchase SetCPU, but I wanted to check here first.

Thanks!
  2. mightybrick

mightybrick New Member

I don't believe bekit ever updated his kernels for froyo. They only work on eclair (2.1 based) builds. For froyo you can check out slayher kernels which are under "liquid froyo" in rom manager. They should work fine with 6.1.2.
  3. ti-force

ti-force New Member

Thanks! That info is greatly appreciated :).
  4. mightybrick

mightybrick New Member

No problem.
  5. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Before you purchase setCPU, check out CPU tuner (it's FREE). Nothing against setCPU, but CPU tuner gives you a lot more options with how to manage your kernel. I used to use setCPU, but have since moved on to CPU tuner and have not looked back.

Also, CPU tuner is a bit daunting at first, but once you dig into the settings it's really quite simple.
  6. ti-force

ti-force New Member

Thanks! I'll try that.
  7. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

FYI - CM7 offers it's own CPU scaling and customization. The only thing I would use SetCPU for would be for the profiles, but otherwise CM7 handles kernels greatly.

But that is only if you are willing to move over to CM7 RC4.

Just a side thought :)
  8. ti-force

ti-force New Member

Thanks! I didn't know CM7 had its own CPU scaling and customization. I've wanted to switch to CM7, but I've been hesitant because it's not yet a stable release. I've read that CM7 is in its final stages, so does that mean I'd have a very good chance of not having any problems with CM7? As I mentioned earlier, I'm still new to this, and I haven't yet learned how it all (or most of it) works, the terminology, or how to diagnose, troubleshoot, etc.

I've made it this far by reading/watching a lot of informative/how-to videos and posts, and informative posts by all of the kind people who are willing to share their time and knowledge showing newbies like myself how to do this stuff :).

Thanks again for your time.
  9. sbenson

sbenson New Member

It's quite stable in my opinion. Day to day use is great and everything works as it should. The only nagging issue is the 3g not coming back automatically after a call or loss of service. It's easy enough to fix by toggling airplane mode, but it's still a huge pain in my arse.
  10. thepolishguy

thepolishguy New Member

I just wanted to chime in. I have been using the CM7 nightlies for a couple of months. They are very stable. as the aboce poster stated - the biggest "bug" is that after you make a phone call - your 3G does not immediately return. Mine returns on its own 90% of the time after about 15 seconds without having to toggle airplane mode. Some people have had worse experiences.

Plus cm7 is Gingerbread - so there are pluses and minuses. On the plus side - it is more visually appealing (to me) and supposed to be easier on your battery. You get the GB multi touch keyboard. Plus, come on, its Gingerbread on the D1 -that's cool. On the minus side GB was meant for more powerful phones so it can really dog down on the D1 (just my experience). But there are some great overclocked kernels available. I run Gingerbread at 1200mhz and get decent performance and decent battery (all day medium use).

So just my .02 cents.
  11. sbenson

sbenson New Member

In addition to what Polish said, you will also have to deal with the memory issues our poor 256mb droids suffer from. As you will come to find, gingerbread is incredibly aggressive with keeping memory free and will kill apps as it sees fit. 256mb and our droids were never meant to have gingerbread running on them because of this.

The cure that a lot of us here have worked into running gingerbread is to install auto memory manager (you can find it in the market) or something similar. It helps you fine tune your phones internal task killer and greatly improves performance and drastically reduces stress and anger in the user :)

Also, Peter Alfonso over in the bugless beast section has built the memory fix directly into his gingerbread builds and it works extremely well. His build is pretty vanilla so you wouldn't have all the cm extras.
  12. tnronin

tnronin Member

I'm having good luck with 2.3.32.9-P3Droid. I'm running your 6.1.2 and set cpu.
  13. ti-force

ti-force New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone :D. I downloaded CM7 last night and I'm extremely pleased with the results so far. Thanks again.
  14. Trauma_Hound

Trauma_Hound New Member

3G issue isn't the only problem with CM7

The other big issue I had with CM7 was that when playing music and doing navigation it would lower the volume of both the music and the navigation, instead of just the music. So I'm back on CM 6.1.2 for the time being.
Search tags for this page

bekit kernel download