Behold the Motorola Atrix 4G

DaWolf85

Reaction score
Docking station=brilliant idea

except the placement of the phone totally blows... hopefully this is resolved in the next laptop docking station

They should have come out with a dummy tablet instead of laptop. Can you imagine if that just like snapped into the back and BOOM! your Atrix becomes a tablet.

Why? The laptop dock accessory gives you a normal-sized physical keyboard, something that a tablet accessory wouldn't. Plus it would provide a cheaper alternative to the Xoom.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why? The laptop dock accessory gives you a normal-sized physical keyboard, something that a tablet accessory wouldn't. Plus it would provide a cheaper alternative to the Xoom.

Well, why do people buy tablets in the first place then? I could see the argument, because of the keyboard, that the lapdock makes more sense, but given that's it's basically an underpowered netbook the tablet may have been a better move (although perhaps more difficult to pull off from a technical perspective).

I'm sure a tabletdock will follow at some point, probably at least the next version of Atrix if it sells well.

DaWolf85

Reaction score
Well, why do people buy tablets in the first place then? I could see the argument, because of the keyboard, that the lapdock makes more sense, but given that's it's basically an underpowered netbook the tablet may have been a better move (although perhaps more difficult to pull off from a technical perspective).

I'm sure a tabletdock will follow at some point, probably at least the next version of Atrix if it sells well.
I think I explained my reasoning as to why they won't make a tablet dock as well.
Plus it would provide a cheaper alternative to the Xoom.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Plus it would provide a cheaper alternative to the Xoom.
[/QUOTE]

You do realize the Xoom is a tablet? The lapdock or whatever you call it is more of an alternative to netbooks than tablets.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You do realize you were talking about a tablet dock for the Atrix 4G?

Yes, to which you responded "it's a cheaper alternative to the XOOM".

No doubt at some point they come out with a tablet doc. Actually, like the zoom, they could have a keyboard, maybe wireless, and it becomes potentially a 3 in 1 device.

Xoom and Atrix both offer alternatives to netbooks. A wireless keyboard that a tablet or tabletdoc snaps into makes the netbook obsolete.

It's a pretty simple question - if the Xoom can become a netbook and the Atrix can become a netbook, why wouldn't they have made the Atrix a 3 in 1 device that could become a tablet that could become a netbook?

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it should move to a 8mp camera or higher. Atleast meet or excede the DX capabilities. Love android OS but kinda disappointed in the camera or maybe the material of the cover over the lense. Cant wait for the future of android!

rybnik

Reaction score
if you haven't seen this video.

Motorola ATRIX 4G hands-on! | BGR | Boy Genius Report

this is just amazing.

Since I am not a droid owner... Yet. I am obviously unfamiliar with it all. But is anyone else concerned about this phone being locked down? I want to be able root it and really customize it.

That phone is impressive. Looks like it will do what it says very well with regards to docking, but still seems like kind of a gimmick.

The wire is still a disappointment. Get this done over bluetooth and you have something.

IMO, this device looks to be a real breakthrough for mfrs. Seemed apps and UI would be the only way to differentiate going forward, and the docking app is one example of that. But now you can see the potential for all kinds of accessories - car dock, desktop dock, remote control...More ways to monetize functionality and create cafeteria type purchase experiences.

I thought this thing was a gimmick too....until I saw this. This is probably one of the slickest, sickest demos I have ever seen and really makes me wish Verizon had ignored apple and gone hard after continuing their relationship with Motorolla. This makes me a believer, Verizon is massively missing out.....:icon_eek:
Motorola Atrix 4G, HD multimedia dock, and laptop dock hands-on -- Engadget

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I saw that clip before, but I looked at it again and paid a lil more attention this time....I thought the webtop only worked with the laptop dock. I see you can connect a keyboard and mouse to the multimedia dock.

That means I could have a decent web experience on my 46" HDTV without connecting my PC to it...

This phone is amazing...

rybnik

Reaction score
I saw that clip before, but I looked at it again and paid a lil more attention this time....I thought the webtop only worked with the laptop dock. I see you can connect a keyboard and mouse to the multimedia dock.

That means I could have a decent web experience on my 46" HDTV without connecting my PC to it...

This phone is amazing...

Bingo, now you see what I see. It truly is. I thought it was a limited, gimmicky thing, but not know. I don't think Motorolla even realize the ramifications for the PC industry this powerful idea they are about to unleash may entail. I am kind of dumbstruck right now. :icon_eek:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Bingo, now you see what I see. It truly is. I thought it was a limited, gimmicky thing, but not know. I don't think Motorolla even realize the ramifications for the PC industry this powerful idea they are about to unleash may entail. I am kind of dumbstruck right now. :icon_eek:

OK, that is pretty slick. But with HDMI out can't you do basically the same thing with user agent on your browser set to computer? The one issue, I suppose, is the keyboard but it doesn't seem that unreasonable that we should see a bluetooth keyboard capability at some point (if it's not out already).

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
This phone is HOT, but the thing that gets me so far is I wish they went with DDR2 RAM and went with Verizon to open, they could have single handedly destroyed iPhone sales with this right here, when this catches on with the public it will be a Juggernaut. Actually it still has a chance if they switch it to Verizon by Q2, but I don't know...but all I can say is that if this was on Verizon day one, my 07' HP Laptop would be on Ebay day two to pay for my peripherals. :)