1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Beginner ROM: Which One?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by mikespe, Nov 15, 2010.

1. mikespe

mikespe New Member

I've been rooted for a few weeks now and did the overclock thing and a few minor tweaks...however now I am thinking of flashing a ROM (something I thought I would never do! LOL) But I am unsure what is a good ROM to start with? I tend to be drawn toward Ultimate Droid or Bugless Beast....they seem to be the two most popular ones. Are they a good start? Also I really don't want to lose any of my SMS/MMS or any other data. I am fully away that I need to wipe the data but I have read of some people not recovering their data.

I am assuming there is a tutorial thread somewhere here on the forum that will walk me thru everything. To be honest though I WILL be using ROM Manager to flash for the first time. I know everyone says to do it the manual way but for the first time I feel more comfortable with ROM Manager. Eventually I will learn the manual way...

Thanks for your help!
  2. turdbogls

turdbogls New Member

this works for me.
    First: Make sure you make a Backup. this ensures you will not brick your phone or mess it up.
    second, choose your ROM. best thing is to just try them on the phone, once you do one, you will want to try them all out to see which one works best for you. personally, BB and UD worked fairly well for me, however i dont need/want all the options of either of those ROMS. i am currently running Project Elite, i am getting the best benchmarks from this ROM, it runs FAST and smooth with Zero Bugs. this is also a good starting point for you since it is mostly stock, just optimized for your device.

wipe data and cache (some say do it 3 times each....works after just once for me)

Flash the ROM...once you get it up and running, give it about 15-20 minutes for it to download and install all your apps. there will be a notification saying "number of apps restored"

if you are using clockwork mod recovery (sorry cant help with SP recovery, dont use it), reboot into recovery, go to nandroid, advanced backup, and restore data. let it run, and reboot once finished.
    the advanced backup will restore your SMS and recent phone calls.

hope all goes well. dont be afraid to ask questions, we were all in this position once and we are willing to help.

sorry, must have skipped over the part about using ROM manager. it is simple then, open RM, download rom, choose the rom...once it finishes, it will pop up a menu asking to backup and wipe data/cache...make sure both are checked. it will reboot into recovery,backup the rom, and wipe data/cache, then install the ROM. once it is finished i would let it run to install the apps, then do the advanced nandroid to restore the data.

to reboot into recovery, turn the phone off, then hold the x button and the power button, once you see the "m" logo you can release the power button, but hold the x button until the menu comes up.

i personally done use RM, simply because i like downloading ROMs outisde of the app using the browser, then i move the .zip file to a specific folder i have made for my different ROMS, then "x" and power, install .zip from sd card, choose .zip, navigate to my ROM folder, install and i am done.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  3. iamasongnow

iamasongnow New Member

to save your texts you should get titanium backup (the paid version) it's a little expensive but it's truly a "must have" app. this will restore apps, texts, settings, etc after you wipe. and unfortunately you should wipe data/factory reset before flashing roms, in order to avoid running into any problems. once you do this a few times you'll get over that "ah man my droid is all set up perfect, i don't want to have to redo anything" kind of feeling.

the rom question is all personal preference. they all have their pros/cons. ultimate droid, cyanogenmod, simply stunning, liquid, miui are ones that i've tried and they're pretty solid. definitely depends on what you're going for though.

you should at least learn HOW to flash a rom manually so you have a better idea how all of this works. in my opinion, it's much easier than using rom manager.

and remember, make a nandroid backup BEFORE you do anything so that you can always go back if you don't like it or something goes wrong.
  4. k00ey

k00ey New Member

5. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

simply because you're a beginner, i would steer you away from BB - but just until you get your flashing down. BB is a great rom, no question. but, the install process for BB is a tad tricky, and may not be the best choice for a first timer. all the other roms install pretty much the same way.
  6. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Check the link in my signature on creating backups.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  7. mikespe

mikespe New Member

Thank you guys for the help. I am leaning towards UD but Simply Stunning looks like a good beginner one since I don't need to wipe my data...UD seems to have a LOT of "toys" to play with (lots of settings) which I do like tinkering :)
  8. dbst

dbst New Member

Chevy says you might not need to wipe, but you could still run into problems from not not wiping on SS or any rom
  9. Hairydawg

Hairydawg New Member

I am about a nitwit when it comes to this type of stuff. SS has been super easy to use and stable.

10. mikespe

mikespe New Member

You know where I can get some screen shots of SS? I posted this question in the SS 4.9 thread but no one responded yet...

Thanks
  11. Hairydawg

Hairydawg New Member

I think I saw a few in here under the "Halloween Special" post by Chevy. I have a friend that had installed it and he is who showed me SS 4.9. It has OTA updates which makes it easier to keep up with. I used 4.8 and the 1.2g low volt kernel and was impressed with the speed and the lack of battery use.
  12. NattyBee

NattyBee New Member

So you're using the Droid 1 right? I miss mine! But alas, the poor thing has a damaged screen...anyhow...I've been a loyal Chevy follower since SS 4.1 and lemme tell you, SS is the best of the best! I hope you give it a shot, I'm sure you'll love it!
  13. mikespe

mikespe New Member

You know I searched that thread twice and didn't see any screens...in the original post bt Chevy he said "Screenshots coming soon..." but that thread spans a big time span...
  14. Hairydawg

Hairydawg New Member

Give it a shot. If you're using ROM Manager you can change to something else pretty quick. SS is the 3rd one I tried and I really like it. Chevy does a great job supporting his work and I even gave a donation to him. Will give more $ with future updates.

15. NattyBee

NattyBee New Member

Indeed, Chevy does a great job supporting his work, and he's very involved in the forums, helping etc. I was on the beta tester list up through SS 4.9 when I broke my Droid's screen...If I can answer any questions I will do so...btw, I'm working on finding another Droid1 so that I can get back to Droid's SS...

put it this way, Chevy's built a fanbase to the point where his fans put together a special donate fund to buy him an X to dev on ;) in fact, after breaking my Droid, I bought an X specifically for SS X...
  16. Logan3824

Logan3824 New Member

Hell, MIUI may take some getting use to, but I love it! You should check it out, if ya don't like it then you can always nandroid back.
  17. k00ey

k00ey New Member

I have always used the "non-themed" version of SS as I prefer the stock/vanilla look compared to an all blue, so while I cant tell you what SS 4.9 looks like, I'm assuming its probably similar if not the same as the way SS 4.8 looks like.

Screen shots here. SS Android • View topic - SS 4.8 - More Statusbar Options - Music Controls Incl. BT

For the non-themed version, get it here
    Index of /froyo/4.9
  18. mikespe

mikespe New Member

There we go! Thanks for the link. I agree that the theme itself isn't my thing but I like that I can change so much on my own to my liking. This is a tough call. UD has so many cool options (and SS appears to have quite a bit as well!

Thanks
Search tags for this page

best beginner droid mods

best beginners rom for nexus 7

best rom for beginners nexus 4

best roms for a beginner

good beginner rom droid x

nebies guide to rom android razr