1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Beginner Questions

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by calicocal, Mar 19, 2010.

1. calicocal

calicocal New Member

Hello I am just getting into hacking my droid and have a few questions. I am rooted and am running cyanogen.

1) What is the difference between a kernel and a rom?

2) Am I able to easily switch from rom A to rom B and then back to rom A without losing my settings on rom A? I am using clockwork and it makes it easy to back up and restore cyanogen, but can I do the same thing for other roms?

Thanks
  2. christim

christim Super Moderator

1) Think of a kernel as the version of windows and the rom as the apps that run on top of it. You can run Office 95, Office 98, Office 2003 (the roms) on top of Vista, XP, Win98 (the kernels)

2) You can keep your data and cache (your apps, and settings) but sometimes you need to wipe them. Backing up installed apps save you time so you don't have to download them again. I just use Astro but there are other apps too. You've already gotten rooted. My understanding is to go to other roms you need sprecovery. Cyanogen has its own bootloader/recover utility and you can't use two at the same time.

How to unroot cyanogenmod might be of assistance. It's in the Hacking/RescueSquad section of the forums

Good luck!
  3. calicocal

calicocal New Member

Another quick question. What is the difference between ESE53 and ESE25?
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

ERE25 leaked first and was essentially an early version of the 2.1 update the Droid will (maybe haha) be getting.

ESE53 is a release candidate, meaning it is basically what they will be pushing OTA.