Beginner at driod, and interested in rooting.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mjgcml, May 11, 2011.

1. mjgcml

mjgcml New Member

So can anyone explain [as basic as possible] what rooting is, what it will do to my phone & how it will affect my phone [like i have heard future update will not work, which i dont believe lol], and why verizon dont want me to do it? lol. If you would happen to have pictures or videos to show would also help.
    I have read a little and they throw words out like rom and stuff, and im completely lost.

And also am interested in creating my own UI if anyone feels like discussing this. Very appreciated. thanks.

"ignorant" responses will be ignored.

**Also I have a Sam. Fascinate and just got my froyo 2.2.1 update**
  2. seripth

seripth New Member

This is what root is:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

Future updates via OTA(over the air-pushed from verizon straight to your phone) will not show up, if they do, will most likely have to re-root afterwards. This is generally not a problem, as most developers like to incorporate the latest and greatest asap...but you will have to flash an updated ROM.

Which brings us to ROMs. A ROM is what you will install in place of the stock UI. They will offer different themes, kernels, tools, and apps. Most ROMs disable some apps(bloatware-not needed), while starting you off with the most commonly requested/usefull apps.

Verizon doesn't want you to root for a few reasons. The ones off the top of my head are the longevity of the life of your phone. The longer you can stay with the same phone and not update, the less money they get. If the OG Droid(original Droid 1) were not rooted, many people that own it would have upgraded a long time ago to get a faster phone, among other reasons. But since we have more control on the speed and can overclock, we don't NEED to upgrade. Another reason being the wireless tether.

Kernel: The main driver for the phone. All ROMs will have one. Even the stock phone has it. It is what allows overclocking, and most(if not all) of the phones base functions.

Hope this gets you started.

EDIT: Read the article on root. If you still have questions, let us know.
  3. mjgcml

mjgcml New Member

thanks, very helpful understanding it, but as i read on how to do it, i got a headach, i dont think i should try lol.
  4. seripth

seripth New Member

It's really not all that hard, and the people here are very helpful, so long as you treat them well. It's mostly a matter of being comfortable with it all, and a decent amount of reading. If you're still not comfortable with it, then it may not be for you.
Search tags for this page

rooting a driod 2 basics