Before upgrading from your Droid or Eris, please read this

Darkseider

Reaction score
Nice first post! Although there is one thing that kind of made me laugh...

"An Eris, rooted and overclocked to 700mhz will wipe the floor with any brand new Android phone you will be able to buy from Verizon today and probably tomorrow."

Granted an OC'ed Eris running Evil Eris is really nice it ain't an Incredible or Droid killer though. With 2.2 it will be interesting to see.

OP
C

CyborgTakeover

Reaction score
Nice first post! Although there is one thing that kind of made me laugh...

"An Eris, rooted and overclocked to 700mhz will wipe the floor with any brand new Android phone you will be able to buy from Verizon today and probably tomorrow."

Granted an OC'ed Eris running Evil Eris is really nice it ain't an Incredible or Droid killer though. With 2.2 it will be interesting to see.

I meant an OC'd Eris running a custom 2.2 ROM. I don't see any way a device running 2.1 would be faster than any 700mhz device on 2.2.

I just set my speed back to 400mhz and ran the Quadrant benchmark test and got 860. The HTC Incredible, according to them scores a hair over 500.

A 2.2 Eris would be a blazing fast little phone. Fast enough that many people would be happy with it until their contract allowed an upgrade.

droid d'oh

Reaction score
I'm a suker for hardware. The droid x has a few things I would have loved to see on the droid like the 8mp camera, screen and no hardware keyboard, but I won't trade it for the development base. Same reason I don't have an incredible right now.

Now if pete or cyanogen devotes more of their time on the X, then id defonately switch. Right now though droid 1.0 hasn't even peaked.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
you FSU backgrounds caught my eye.... I have the first wallpaper.... here are some I use

Homeb.png

Homea.png

in my quickdial app, that allows for a unique wallpaper, I have this **Link Removed** or any other random FSU Cowgirl photo

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

CyborgTakeover

Reaction score
you FSU backgrounds caught my eye.... I have the first wallpaper.... here are some I use

Homeb.png

Homea.png

in my quickdial app, that allows for a unique wallpaper, I have this **Link Removed** or any other random FSU Cowgirl photo

Look carefully in the paragraph where I describe FSU and you shall be rewarded. Clickdancedroid

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunn23

Reaction score
It really is kind of like customizing a car. I am constantly messing with my phone now.

Mulciber

Reaction score
I love my phone. My friend had a evo and his is faster but recently I clocked mine to 1ghz and we will see lol. I think I might upgrade for a 4g device but we will see. O am really liking the dual cameras on theses new phones.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I've had my Droid for five months and don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. My annual upgrade is in January but I'm in no hurry because I'm content. dancedroid

Bluehand

Reaction score
I haven't read through all of the replies, but I plan to today. The OP was great! I'm going to start working on rooting my Eris ASAP. Great points, thank you for taking the time to post this, I've already sent this on to others.

* Today I have to move everything over to a refurb I received in the mail yesterday. Lame of me for doing this, but I went to the Verizon store to show them a problem I was having. The guy played with my phone for a few minutes, said he'd not seen this problem before, and decided to "fix" it by sending me a refurb. I don't know why I think they can help. :icon_evil:

Thanks again & wish me luck as I work on rooting!

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
An Eris with 2.2 won't be wiping the phones with any of the new Android phones being released. Sorry, just isn't happening.

cb3FSU

Reaction score
An Eris with 2.2 won't be wiping the phones with any of the new Android phones being released. Sorry, just isn't happening.

If it weren't faster than an HTC Incredible running 2.1 I would be shocked.

The point is, an Eris running 2.2 is absolutely a capable device and fast enough to do anything you will want it to for the foreseeable future.

The hardware they are bringing out sounds great, but it simply cannot take advantage of its potential due to current battery limitations.

Anything over 1000mhz running 2.2 is kind of like chocolate syrup over chocolate icecream piled on top of fudge brownies. Yeah, it sounds great but you'll get sick if you eat too much of it.

IMO, with Froyo, 800mhz is all you really need at this point. You get about 8 hours of use on a Droid with the screen on full blast.

Speed, stability and battery life are all very important. At 800mhz you get all 3.

The Eris on 2.2 will be a great phone.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

If it weren't faster than an HTC Incredible running 2.1 I would be shocked.

The point is, an Eris running 2.2 is absolutely a capable device and fast enough to do anything you will want it to for the foreseeable future.

The hardware they are bringing out sounds great, but it simply cannot take advantage of its potential due to current battery limitations.

Anything over 1000mhz running 2.2 is kind of like chocolate syrup over chocolate icecream piled on top of fudge brownies. Yeah, it sounds great but you'll get sick if you eat too much of it.

IMO, with Froyo, 800mhz is all you really need at this point. You get about 8 hours of use on a Droid with the screen on full blast.

Speed, stability and battery life are all very important. At 800mhz you get all 3.

The Eris on 2.2 will be a great phone.

But u also have to factor in the cpu its using too. Certain phones might cant run Flash or run it well based on the cpu its using. The Eris runs a Qualcomm MSM7600 528Mhz

This is a review of the LG Ally talking about Flash 10.1:

It is powered by a Qualcomm MSM7627 600 MHz processor. This means you might not be seeing Flash on the Ally. Adobe said back in February that Flash will only run on phones with ARM Cortex-A8 processors and 50MB or more of available RAM, like the Nexus One, the HTC Incredible, and Motorola Droid, but the Qualcomm MSM7627 is a less powerful ARM11 processor.
**Yea, Adobe said it back in Feb and things may have changed since then.**

Now u right, it probably will be faster than an Inc. running 2.1....and since the Inc. just came out in May it is still a new phone. But I cant see the Eris on 2.2 wiping the floor against the Inc on 2.1.

The 2 newer phones from Motorola? They have better cpu's than the Inc. I definitely cant see the Eris on 2.2 wiping the floor with either of those 2 running 2.1

Just for benchmarks, look at the Quadrant scores of the "Shadow" (thats the X) vs. the other phones on that list. Yea, any phone running 2.2 will be nice, but a software update doesnt change the cpu its running. If its running cpu A, it will still be cpu A after an update.

**I totally missed the OP saying an overclocked Eris will wipe the floor with any new phone from Verizon....when an Eris probably cant even handle Flash....lol Thats too funny...l***

Last edited: