Before I take the leap, Is there a "Down Side" to ROMS??

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by MuGGzy, Apr 28, 2011.

1. MuGGzy

MuGGzy New Member

I was having some issues with my Droid X and it was suggested that I do a factory reset. Since I was already rooted, I figured I would try a custom ROM before I gave up and exchanged the phone.

Right now I am looking mostly at the Liberty ROM, I just like the looks and have read a lot of good things, but then again every ROM has it's own "cheerleaders".

So since I am looking for a faster interface, better battery life, and less crap besides what I WANT to install, is a ROM the right way to go?

Is any one ROM more stable and "lean/barebones" than the others while still allowing me to do the stuff I actually want, like web/text/Nav etc?
  2. mcapozzi

mcapozzi New Member

Liberty is nice, all the Motorola stuff is ripped out so you lose things like the Motorola Corporate Calendar Sync, and HDMI.

Also the following apps (I'm sure I am missing some):

dialer
    contacts
    messaging
    camera/camcorder
    gallery

are replaced with open source alternatives which have their own associated benefits/disadvantages. I personally prefer the Blur apps (not the Launcher) over their AOSP counterparts.

There are other ROMs that are more true to the original software release such as ApeX and Rubix Blurry.

All of these ROMs are very stable and well supported by the community.

-Mike
  3. MuGGzy

MuGGzy New Member

Thanks for the reply, I only really use my phone to talk, text, take pics, and Navigation via Google Maps and such, with some web browsing and Ebook reading thrown in. Since I use installed Apps for most of that already I assume I can still install those and continue using them?

Also, will I have to re add all my contacts or will I be able to download them through my GMail acct like I would through the stock systems?
  4. mcapozzi

mcapozzi New Member

If your contacts are already in Google, then you are set to go.

There is a small chance that they may be only on the phone, you would have to check that in GMail and in the Contacts app on your phone.

Also, installing a ROM will erase all user-installed applications and their associated data (high scores, level unlocks, configuration information). Since you are rooted already, you can use something like Titanium Backup to backup and restore those apps (the apps can be pulled from the market as well). Also you will want to save any text messages and SMS/MMS pics or videos because those will be erased as well.

Most importantly, you better be able to remember your Google account password, otherwise you will not be able to set your phone back up properly.

-Mike
  5. danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs New Member

Honestly there is only one downside, but for me it had been unavoidable.
    Time. The things to learn and all the fun to be had only have one trade-off and that being there isn't enough time in a day.
    I now have given up watching several TV series I used to love.
    I read several books a week and now barely pick one up. For me that has been the worst as I would devour books and information on everything under the sun. Now most reading is on how to do this or that with my phone.
    Of course I had very little knowledge regarding computers, codes and scripts. So I imagine less time is needed if you know your way around already.
    You can literally get lost in time messing around with your phone, suddenly you have only 2 hours to sleep before you need to be up for work.

Otherwise, awesome.
    And side benefit for me is I now have a load of knowledge re: computers and tech, which has been quite beneficial. Downside being everyone now comes to me for computer help rather than me to them.

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
    danceswithbongs
  6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I have never seen one ROM made that didn't have some issues. Not one. I've seen people lose phone service, brick phones, have strange things happen with texting or lose texting all together. I've see battery issues.

Every ROM that is out there has bugs. Some have less then others. I have rooted and only have installed 1 custom ROM ever in my original Droid.

I recommend rooting so you can have access to make your own changes to your phone. If you want someone else's idea of how your phone should be then by all means try ROM. But don't let anybody tell you there are no down sides.
  7. danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs New Member

hook is 100 percent correct, the case on most things here, but you can encounter many an issue without ever being rooted. These are delicate highly advanced technological items we throw in our pockets, drop on the ground and spill water on. Things happen.

I have returned 2 OGs due to internal issues, neither was rooted and they were 2 completely different issues.
    One was my touch screen was not working correctly, i.e. I go to call a friend and my ex's button lights up and now she thinks I did a call and hang up...great, really needed that.
    The other was the package installer was malfunctioning and was having lots of problems fully seeing the apps moved to SD card.
    But third time was a charm.
    Encountered the not reading apps on my SD card in the first week and decided what the hell, since the program I used to get root could also remove all evidence of being rooted so I could exchange again of needed.
    Since that day, I have never had that issue again. Don't know why or how? That's fine by me though.

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
    danceswithbongs