Beep/Tone during calls

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Far fetched but is the screen turning off when the sensor is covered, just wonder if your touching the dial pad...

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thanks for the idea, but it's not a phone notification. Started on my OG Droid in September and carried over to my razr. It sounds just like someone on the other end pressed the #1 key like they are dialing. Not long, not super short. Just like when you dial. Way different tone than the beep for a text or email notification.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Perhaps I didn't make my inquiry clear...I am not referring to a Phone notification for either Text OR Email, but a Phone Company notification for an awaiting Voicemail on the Verizon Voicemail system. I used to use Verizon's Voicemail and get those notification beeps in my ear while on a call, but when I switched from the Verizon Voicemail to Youmail (www.youmail.com or the Youmail app), I no longer hear them.

On the other hand, those beep tones sent by Verizon didn't sound like the dual-tone of a Touchtone phone button push. If what you are hearing is a dual-tone (DTMF) like 1209 Hz on 697 Hz to make the #1 tone (ref: Dual-tone multi-frequency signaling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), then it's almost definitely being produced by the switch at some node on the Phone Service Provider side (in other words, not the phone). There is the possibility that an app or a glitch in a resident application could inject Touchtones into the phone call since it does have a DTMF generator in order to place calls and signal equipment as we all know, but it would be highly unlikely and irregular that the phone would do so without being asked to, either by button pushes or an app that was intended to inject Touchtones.

Agoofydiver

Reaction score
Yeah I've been trying to explain all that to Verizon. they had me dial ###1 after calls that it happened on to check for irregularities. They said everything was fine after just 3 calls. I've checked the voicemail to make sure. No saved voicemails, no new ones, nothing. The tone happens at random times no matter who I'm talking to or what network, 3g or 4g, and while talking to different carriers. And no it's not something as simple as I'm accidentally pressing a key. LOL happens wether on the phone physically, using headphones, or on my jawbone icon or jam box. I've gotten used to it. But it's bugging me that Verizon isn't very willing to fix it. I don't know. But thanks for the Ideas.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah I've been trying to explain all that to Verizon. they had me dial ###1 after calls that it happened on to check for irregularities. They said everything was fine after just 3 calls. I've checked the voicemail to make sure. No saved voicemails, no new ones, nothing. The tone happens at random times no matter who I'm talking to or what network, 3g or 4g, and while talking to different carriers. And no it's not something as simple as I'm accidentally pressing a key. LOL happens wether on the phone physically, using headphones, or on my jawbone icon or jam box. I've gotten used to it. But it's bugging me that Verizon isn't very willing to fix it. I don't know. But thanks for the Ideas.

I'd love to hear it for myself, not to disprove what others are saying, but simply so I can get a personal perspective. It sounds like you've done all the troubleshooting you could have and are coming to the same conclusion as me...it's generated on the phone network - not in the phone.

OP
rob1459

rob1459

Reaction score
Beep/Tone

FoxKat, I wish I could record and post it. I have had one full day of no tone, and it drives me crazy every time. I guess I will get use to it or get the new Iphone 5 this summer.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
FoxKat, I wish I could record and post it. I have had one full day of no tone, and it drives me crazy every time. I guess I will get use to it or get the new Iphone 5 this summer.

Well, here's hoping your one day of freedom from the tones turns into many more! ;)

roguegal

Reaction score
As I posted some time ago, I am on my 3rd Droid. I didn't have any beeps for 3 to 4 days until I turned on my bluetooth--Planatronics Pro. Immediately the beeps started. I turned it off, unpaired it, called my friend back and NO beeps.

However, I have occassionally heard a few beeps, but nothing steady or frequent. I could have beeps going for 30 plus minutes while on the phone with a friend when I had my other phones.

I am with verizon, but hadn't been until I got my droid razr. I live in southern oregon, 3g.

Is there somewhere I should be logging in to complain whenever I hear the beeps--just call Verizon? Also, I have read about "updates". Should I be getting these too?

I don't like to NOT complain about things that aren't functioning properly. I believe in letting them know, though I don't want to be belligerent, but feel that they should stay informed and know it isn't working.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Is your Bluetooth fully charged? Cuz my BT will beeb when it's low. Took me a while to figure it out.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

garywojdan81

Reaction score
Don't know if this is just my personal experience but the Last 2 times I've heard the beep something was using background syncing. The sync icon was visible when I pulled the phone away & the screen came back on.

NetDoc77

Reaction score
I don't use a Bluetooth have never even turned my bluetooth on ever on my razr and still get the beeping. So it can't be that

Same here! On my second Droid Razr...installed only a gtasks widget and FB app on the second, don't use bluetooth, live in a solid 3G area in Pennsylvania...and I want to throw my Droid out the window from all the beeping!!! Doesn't matter where I am...no rhyme or reason...reported to Verizon. Unhappy customer!!!

roguegal

Reaction score
I rarely have beeping anymore. paired my bluetooth with it today and used my bluetooth with it and no beeping not like before where the minute I turned on Bluetooth it started. I decided to try it again so I connected up my bluetooth and surprisingly hardly any beeps.this is my third droid razor and I have had it now for 3 weeks.
as far as my bluetooth battery being low as someone suggested I don't think that was a problem because I always keep it charged up.
I keep checking back here to see if anyone has figured it out.
I did take someone's suggestions and about deleting banner notifications and roaming notifications. has anyone else tried that? Maybe that is part of the problem.

NetDoc77

Reaction score
This just in from Verizon. Motorola is aware of the issue and releasing an update mid-February to fix!

roguegal

Reaction score
How do we get the "fix"? Do we have to dial something? Contact them?

This is just what I was hoping for! They have got to have known about it and were just acting as though they didn't. They told me there wasn't any record, etc. Then I go back to my Costco store and the dealer there says at least two other people complained about beeps! Probably a lot of people don't follow through and call the company, but I turned in two phones to get a third one that rarely beeps.

Tell us more when you hear about it!

Thanks!

SGTSCHU

Reaction score
Just wrapping up with tier 2 support, sending out a phone. We'll see how this goes.