Beep for missed call despite being in priority / silent mode after 5.1 update

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Try in settings ..sounds and notifications..tap on interruptions..
5f607482196e70005595b024f94718ed.jpg
here's how mine is set..

That's the same menu that pops up when you tap volume down and tap priority..

OP
C

chakfu

Reaction score
Try in settings ..sounds and notifications..tap on interruptions..

That's the same menu that pops up when you tap volume down and tap priority..

As I have repeatedly said, the problem occurs whether I have it set to "none", "priority", or "all" interruptions. Also, it is not affected by volume/vibrate settings when I am set to "all interruptions." I already have "calls" set to off on interruptions, which turns off the ringtones for incoming calls, but not this end call beep. Obviously, this interruptions priority/exceptions menu should not have anything to do with a problem that occurs when I set interruptions to "none"!

To understand this problem better, the first thing I would again like to know: Does anyone else even receive this "end call" tone following a missed call, when the caller hangs up?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
OK...when you have it set to NONE. Do you have "indefinitely" toggled??? Because if you do..then there should be no sound unless you changed a different setting..I've asked this several times..
44008ee58164fecebff0b7b4d94b3495.jpg

And this tone your describing ..sounds like a list connection tone or end call tone..do you have any downloaded apps that would add this??

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I just dialed my phone in my music room where its quiet..and I do hear a call disconnect beep when calls are hung up on the other end..

Let me tell ya..I have sonic ears...and that wouldn't wake me up...to put it mildly a car makes more noise when driving by....

Trying to find a work around...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The tone is a call disconnect beep. If I set my phone on a pillow or anything that muffled the speakers at the top of the device..it was barely audible even in my music room..which is studio quiet..

There are no settings to shut this off. I've toggled them all and reset them..I've tried with vibrate on and off and I've tried with volumes at different settings and then turning them off..your phone also emits this sound when you shut it off with the volume on...

OP
C

chakfu

Reaction score
OK...when you have it set to NONE. Do you have "indefinitely" toggled??? Because if you do..then there should be no sound unless you changed a different setting..I've asked this several times..

And this tone your describing ..sounds like a list connection tone or end call tone..do you have any downloaded apps that would add this??

I do have indefinitely selected. The star and circle/slash display properly with priority/interruptions selected, and silencing of the ringtones works correctly.

It sounds like the usual end call tone I have always heard. I do have skype, reliance globalcall, and imo installed but I don't use audible notifications; I just turned off skype notifications and it didn't make a difference.

I see several outside posts describing "system sounds" and app notifications not being silenced correctly; it seems likely my problem is one of those and I worry it is a system sound.
Evo_Shift
16th November 2014, 06:57 PM |#3

Under "Interruptions" turn off everything and the only thing that will make a sound when the phone is in Priority Mode is the Alarm.

And the low battery sound and the charging sound and a few other system sounds. Priority mode is a poor substitution for a real silent mode.****

personofknownorigin

My problem is that system sounds still come through. I haven't found a way to use priority and not have my phone tell me that the battery is fully charged while still allowing my kids to contact me.

WireFlare

I've never noticed system sounds other than low battery, which is kind of important to know about when muted. I'll have to pay attention to listen for battery full.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I can think of one way to prevent this .toggle airplane mode on..your alarms and other stuff should work..you won't receive texts or calls or be connected to the network ...but as soon as you get up..toggle airplane mode back off..and you'll reacquire the network and get notifications of missed calls...texts...and whatever..

OP
C

chakfu

Reaction score
The tone is a call disconnect beep. If I set my phone on a pillow or anything that muffled the speakers at the top of the device..it was barely audible even in my music room..which is studio quiet..

There are no settings to shut this off. I've toggled them all and reset them..I've tried with vibrate on and off and I've tried with volumes at different settings and then turning them off..your phone also emits this sound when you shut it off with the volume on...

Ah, have you reproduced my problem then? Hearing it after missed calls despite interruptions being set to none or priority?

Perhaps I am over sensitive, but I keep the phone on the bedstand and was disturbed from sleep twice already. I think this constitutes a very real and serious bug if this tone occurs after missed phone calls when the phone is supposed to be silent - even if it is relatively quiet!

OP
C

chakfu

Reaction score
Unfortunately airplane mode doesn't help because I want to be able to visually glance over and see notifications.

Perhaps my only recourse now is to muffle the sound a bit. My hope is that this can be recognized as a legitimate bug and fixed in a future update - rather than dismissed as being too quiet to be important.

Thank you for your persistence in reproducing the problem!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah I was in my music room and I called my phone and hung up and heard it...I have exotic birds and a 13 year old..so my house has background noise..and in southeast TX its 90° still..so my ac is kicking on..

So the only way I could make it not happen was phone off..but if you need alarms..not going to work..but airplane mode..alarms and notifications still work..and no calls or text messages..or beeps

Set it on a pillow...or something like that. Probably the best bet..glad we got it figured out..

OP
C

chakfu

Reaction score
It's a pretty unacceptable oversight to me and I'm surprised it's not a common complaint.

I suspect it's a combination of two factors.
1. "System sounds" are not silenced by the interruptions settings, whether by mistake or (in my opinion) poor design choice.
2. Missed calls are newly treated as a call disconnection, prompting that system sound.

It's extremely frustrating that there is no true silent mode and that a beep remains even when ringtones are silenced. I would hope that some outcry would publicize the issue and prompt a fix.

1coopgt

Reaction score
OP did you completely set up Sleep mode in Moto As
2015-07-17 13.54.18.png
sist ? Just wondering .

OP
C

chakfu

Reaction score
Interesting - I have not tried that, at least since the update.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I did try moto assist...it didn't make a difference... But I didn't have all the updates ..I don't typically use it..so I had to enable it to try it...so if you have it all updated..it might work..let us know.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
This sounds like a major screw up by Moto. Or have you guys determined it's a Lollipop issue? I haven't heard of any other devices with this problem. Though the whole "priority mode" fiasco has irritated quite a few on the S5 forums.

S5 tap'n