been using a different charger; is my battery ok??

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
like right now it says estimate 3 hours left. In reality if I watch a video right now itll probably die in under a half an hour, I'm at 29%

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
and now its 28 percent...I swear it was just at 30 like 2 minutes ago -_- wtf have I done to this thing

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
and now its 28 percent...I swear it was just at 30 like 2 minutes ago -_- wtf have I done to this thing
I don't know what to say. If you could send screen captures of the battery usage at the end of the cycle when there is little left, we may be able to better troubleshoot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I don't know what to say. If you could send screen captures of the battery usage at the end of the cycle when there is little left, we may be able to better troubleshoot.

I have a question for those who have the s7. As soon as the battery of estimated time left is available, how many hours does it suggest you have left?

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
or 12% battery life used in an hour and 23 mins of light usage, does this sound right???

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
or 12% battery life used in an hour and 23 mins of light usage, does this sound right???
Yes, based on that use, the battery would last about 9 hours or so, if you used it constantly in the same way. These phones' batteries weren't designed to allow constant use and last an entire day. The estimates of expected battery life are based on typical mixed use. Mixed use is expecting that you would have other things to do during a typical day, rather than spending the entire day on the phone, not that I'm suggesting you do. What I'm saying, in other words it's that based on your described use, if you used it in that way for a total of maybe 4 hours, the phone would likely last the expected or advertised duration on a charge.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
idk something seems off. the only time I get really good battery life is if I have data and wifi off

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
idk something seems off. the only time I get really good battery life is if I have data and wifi off
As does every smartphone.

You're using your phone and the battery consumption is going up. The more screen on time you use the more battery will drop.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
You guys are completely adamant that it's not a possibility that the voltage/wattage differences of a different charger couldn't of fried the battery? I'm almost 100% noticing a difference since I switched chargers

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The charger adapter (the device that plugs into the wall), is only half of the charging system. The other half is internal to the phone and controls what the battery receives and how fast. It's the job of the charger adapter to convert the high 110 volt US (or 220 volts in Europe), alternating current house voltage, and from 15 to 20 amps (1650 to 2200 watts), into a much lower 5 volts direct current, and .5 to 2 amps of current, so the phone can then safely manage the charging of the battery.

Voltages output to the phone on the Micro USB plug end are specified by the phone's manufacturer to be within a range of typically a 10℅ tolerance, meaning if it's specified to be 5 volts +/- 10℅, it's able to be between 4.5 and 5.5 and will still perform within specifications by the manufacturer without doing damage to the battery or underperforming. If the voltage of the charger adapter (the device that plugs into the wall), is too high, it can definitely cause harm to the battery.

As for wattage (or current), as long as it's high enough, it will perform as well as the manufacturer's specifications. It could be ten times higher than the current specified but the charging system in the phone will only allow as much current to reach the battery as the manufacturers want them to get and the battery won't charge any faster. If it's lower the battery will simply charge slower.

So to summarize, voltage is very important and must be carefully controlled. Current on the other hand is not quite as critical. However if the phone's charging system, which is internal to the phone were to fail and allow more current than specified it would charge the battery faster and potentially too fast to prevent doing damage to the battery.

If one of your charging adapters is underperforming another then it's either putting out too low of a voltage or current and as a result the battery would charge slower, but this wouldn't damage the battery. In fact it would actually be easier in the battery and extend the life of the battery.

Last edited:

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
You guys are completely adamant that it's not a possibility that the voltage/wattage differences of a different charger couldn't of fried the battery? I'm almost 100% noticing a difference since I switched chargers
If you are right get a replacement. We're just trying to help point you in the right direction. If you performed an FDR, cleared the cache (as I explained), and you are still "100℅ noticing a difference" just get a replacement.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
If you are right get a replacement. We're just trying to help point you in the right direction. If you performed an FDR, cleared the cache (as I explained), and you are still "100℅ noticing a difference" just get a replacement.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Do you guys think I'd be able to get a brand new replacement if I still have my warranty or would it just be refurbished?