Beautiful Widgets Weather: I wish it were true

Derekweb

Reaction score
Because all those things you mentioned are free?
Google monetizes your eyes by serving up adds. That is their business model.

Google's weather breaks it's not BW fault the temp is wrong.
If I sell a product and it contains a defective part, am I responsible or do I just blame the supplierr?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[
If I sell a product and it contains a defective part, am I responsible or do I just blame the supplierr?

So you think that the developer needs to find another way to deliver the weather to us? I guess there is justification in that. But then again it is a 5.00 app. I don't know how much bang do we expect for 5.00?

gujupmp88

Reaction score
[

So you think that the developer needs to find another way to deliver the weather to us? I guess there is justification in that. But then again it is a 5.00 app. I don't know how much bang do we expect for 5.00?

i think it is the devs fault. if something is broken, its his/her responsibility to fix it. just as htc changed the screen they are using for their phones because of supply problems, the dev needs to find a new place to get the temp/conditions. also, it is true that it is only 5 dollars, but on the android market, that's actually on the higher spectrum of prices. most apps cost in the 1-3 dollar range. if he charges more, there should be some sort of fix coming from a broken app.

johnfoam

Reaction score
I believe the developer is using the google igoogle weather api which you can try out from a regular browser. For New York, for example, http://www.google.com/ig/api?weather=New York

Plug in your own location and you'll see that it matches BW's info. Info for my location has been totally messed up for the past 2 days. I have no idea how to alert google to this issue or if they will even care for that matter.

Tama-Chan

Reaction score
Hello,

Just wanted to let you guys know that indeed I am waiting that Google fix their weather API, I have no idea on when it will be fixed to be honest, but I know that it will be.

Anyway I am looking at alternative weather sources for the future, maybe NOAA as a backup, but right now I am busy on Beautiful Widgets 3.0!

Sorry again for the problem it occurs. Btw it seems that the problems are only for the USA, here in europe it works pretty fine

Josefius

Reaction score
Hello,

Just wanted to let you guys know that indeed I am waiting that Google fix their weather API, I have no idea on when it will be fixed to be honest, but I know that it will be.

Anyway I am looking at alternative weather sources for the future, maybe NOAA as a backup, but right now I am busy on Beautiful Widgets 3.0!

Sorry again for the problem it occurs. Btw it seems that the problems are only for the USA, here in europe it works pretty fine

I assume since I bought the app, I will get the update to 3.0?

Riddick

Reaction score
Beautiful widgets sucks for displaying for weather, and has sucked for a while. Don't care what their excuse is, other services find a way to correctly show the weather.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I just wish there was a way to make BW show only a clock and no weather info at all. Then it wouldn't bother me so much and I could use my weatherbug widget to see weather.

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just wish there was a way to make BW show only a clock and no weather info at all. Then it wouldn't bother me so much and I could use my weatherbug widget to see weather.

There's an option to turn off the weather portion of the main widget.

Oops...My bad. That turns off the nice animation but leaves the offending erroneous temperature in place.

Last edited:

JP 5.56

Reaction score

There's an option to turn off the weather portion of the main widget.

Thats just the icon only isn't it? Or did I miss something?

Edit: yep all I see is "Hide Weather Icon" which gets rid of the icon but it still displays the "current" temps.

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since I was the original complainer on this thread I'll put in my $.02. I think it's clear that the BW developer owes his customers a reliable weather source. Obviously, one is paying for more than the nice animations that frankly are of the greatest use to those living in their parents' basements without a window.

On the other hand, relying on Google services for an android application is an understandable choice. And despite occasional glitches, Google is a highly reliable information source on a wide range of topics. Offhand, I can't think of another case where time sensitive information provided by google is so obviously wrong.

This issue clearly raises the question of whether BW should find another source for current weather conditions, perhaps enabling a user to select a source in a manner analogous to the selection of forecast information.

So while I'm as annoyed by the erroneous information as anyone else, I'm willing to give the developer an opportunity to find an alternative source of weather info or provide an option for a user to make a selection.

Low Saturn

Reaction score
Mine gives me the weather in Las Vegas. Only thing is, I'm in San Jose, CA. Google Maps, Weather Bug and Tracks all say I'm in Las Vegas as well. I can zoom all the way in to the apartment complex where it says I'm located.

Its a 521 mile, 9 hour, 54 minute drive from my house to my closest neighbor.

shochman

Reaction score
Google's weather service is often not working. My temperature in NJ has been frozen at 88 degrees for the last two days. I wish BW could provide alternate weather feeds (e.g. Yahoo's).