Status
Not open for further replies.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I think once we get 2.1 we'll soon forget about BW.

It's a great app but the new weather/news widget on 2.1 is pretty slick. It will look great on the Droid.

I get what you're trying to say but I don't know if I agree. One of the best features of the Droid over something like the iPhone is being able to totally customize it to your liking. I get bored with the same appearance and change it frequently.
I hear you : )
and I'm sure you saved it to your sd card. So you can bounce back and forth.

DaHarder

Reaction score
I've had Beautiful Widgets installed since the first booting my DROID and am a bit dismayed by this news... though admittedly, not at all surprised.​

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Funny. I looked at my downloads from the Market two hours ago and there was an update from Beautiful Wigets

Big Lou

Reaction score
All the more reason to root the droid so that I can put SenseUI on it when it is leaked.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
All the more reason to root the droid so that I can put SenseUI on it when it is leaked.

I can't wait for that day to come! maybe HTC is planning on releasing something similar to beauty widgets so they knocking out competition.

DaHarder

Reaction score
So the company that has spent the past two years duplicating iPhone interface design is shutting down a dev who is duplicating HTC design.

I'll be downloading Screen Crack onto Eris demo units every time I visit VzW stores.

Seriously now...

I what way, either functionally or aesthetically, do HTC GUI designs remotely 'duplicate' the grid-laden, Romper-Room inspired look/feel of the iPhone OS?

No Need To Answer... It Just Doesn't​

JayMonster

Reaction score
are we certain that we will get 2.1 ? I'm coming from winmo i know some devices can't support the new updates etc

The Droid (and Android phones in general) are built with room to grow (at least somewhat), even the (now) lowly G1 has had two major ROM updates.

Take what you know from WinMo and toss it out, the game has changed. Days of having to buy a brand new phone to get a .1 rev fix is history.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
are we certain that we will get 2.1 ? I'm coming from winmo i know some devices can't support the new updates etc

The Droid (and Android phones in general) are built with room to grow (at least somewhat), even the (now) lowly G1 has had two major ROM updates.

Take what you know from WinMo and toss it out, the game has changed. Days of having to buy a brand new phone to get a .1 rev fix is history.

w00t thats a good thing to know. I kinda disliked the G1 at first plus the fact that VZ didnt have a Android phone put me off on the whole android idea.

JayMonster

Reaction score

I can't wait for that day to come! maybe HTC is planning on releasing something similar to beauty widgets so they knocking out competition.

I doubt that. The reason for Sense UI (HTC), MotoBlur (Motorola) and TouchWiz (Samsung) is that this is supposed to be the "difference maker" the reason why you would buy THEIR version of Android over another.

Releasing (even selling) something like "Beautiful Sense" would strip away their competitive "advantage" of the skin, allowing everybody on any phone to have that look.

DaHarder

Reaction score
Is it like the HTC app or does it copy elements of the actual HTC app. There is a big difference.

Beautiful Widgets looks and functions (essentially) identically to the HTC offering, making it a clear-cut case of intellectual property infringement.

I would venture that HTC is arguing that their initial investment in the design of the widgets, as well as the programming involved, is one of the reasons people choose their handsets over competing smartphones i.e. 'competitive advantage'.

Unfortunately, they're probably right, and unless the design of Beautiful Widgets is changed to something more original, they're just out of luck.​

Last edited:

DaHarder

Reaction score

I doubt that. The reason for Sense UI (HTC), MotoBlur (Motorola) and TouchWiz (Samsung) is that this is supposed to be the "difference maker" the reason why you would buy THEIR version of Android over another.

Releasing (even selling) something like "Beautiful Sense" would strip away their competitive "advantage" of the skin, allowing everybody on any phone to have that look.

I guess we're of 'like mind'... I didn't see your post before I started mine :)

schmaltzy

Reaction score
FYI, I just went to the market to see if I could still download it. Looks like it's gone........

Status
Not open for further replies.