Beats by Dre Supposedly Looking to End HTC Partnership

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 19, 2013.

1. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,287
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Manufacturers of Audiophile equipment (receivers, tuners, amplifiers, pre-amplifiers, crossovers, speakers and all other form of Audiophile equipment), work tirelessly and spend enormous amounts of money and time and testing on R&D to reach a flat frequency response reproduction with as little distortion as attainable. The object is to reproduce the sound without any colorization from the equipment.

Truth is flat is how the engineers intended it to sound...flat is NORMAL, uncolored, pure. ANY DSP or "Beats" EQ is muddying up the sound. Injecting more bass, more treble is ARTIFICIAL and just totally distorting how it sounded to the ears of the engineer and the band. In other words, if the band and engineer had intended it to sound "Beats" then they'd have made it sound "Beats" and you wouldn't need "Beats" to sound that way. The moment I walk into a room and see the Bass and Treble of a stereo system turned up, I cringe. Overdriven Bass and Treble makes the sound horrible, difficult to listen to for long periods of time, and ruins the beauty and artistic value of the recording. Not every artist intended the Bass to be THUMPING, nor did they intend the Treble to be SHEARING. Subtle nuances of the recording are lost behind the distortion, entire tracks of audio become completely undetectable underneath all that mess.

As an audiophile I NEVER us ANY DSP or ANY artificial manipulation of the audio signal to produce anything other than the flat frequency response that was intended. My receiver (Denon AVR-3806...not even what I consider Audiophile, but cost $1,800 when I bought it in 2005), comes with a microphone and it produces frequency sweeps from each speaker, then does calculations around the room to determine acoustics and how they change the sound, then adjusts (equalizes) the sound to produce a flat frequency response across the entire spectrum and for the various listening positions around the room. My speakers (Klipsch KLF-20, KLF-C7, RW-35, RSW-15), are very low in distortion and to produce the sound with as little "color" as possible. They are designed to be efficient, so that you can drive them with low wattage, removing the need to turn up the amplifier into the ranges where distortion becomes a problem. 50% of movie theaters in the country use Klipsch for their speaker systems...there are reasons why.

• Like Like x 3
  2. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +859
    comes with age. i used to listen to my music with high bass and treble when i was younger. now i prefer all settings be left in the middle.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,070
    I bought my Rezound in spite of it having Beats, not because. Gimmick sounds gimmick earbuds, gimmick advertising made me look at everything but the Rezound until I saw something on Phone Scoop about it. They touted it as a bigger Incredible 1 on steroids performance wise and mentioned nothing about the music player. This, in their opinion was a bad thing but fir me it was a good thing. They said it even fit in hand, though a bigger screen than the Inc, like the Inc 1. It was at that point I went to a Verizon store and bought mine because I wanted a phone as good as my Inc and fit my hands like my Inc.
    I've used Beats only to show others that Power Amp works with Beats, both corded and Bluetooth.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

• Like Like x 1
  4. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,277
    The rezound was so under rated. If it was not for sense being so heavy it would have truly been the better device than the nexus. The rezound had much better radios, speaker quality, and the screen resolution was on par if not better in some cases. When I had my rezound I ran clean rom nexus edition and it performed much better. In the end I went back to the nexus only because I thought they had a true fix for the nexus radios.

5. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Only thing I look for in sound quality is the ability to use bass without distortion. The more bass I can use at low to medium volume the better...to me music is not just for listening, but for feeling too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +859
    Keep in mind that most earbuds - especially cheap earbuds - produce very little bass. So artificial or not, anything that enhances the base to create a more normal listening experience is ok in my book. IMO, Beats wasn't about overly saturated bass but compensating for the hardware's shortcoming there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,287
    Current Phone Model:
    That I can understand. I mean, nobody is trying to get audiophile quality from a phone (yet). :D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

8. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +859
    i don't know. a lot of sound systems are coming equipped with bluetooth to connect to your phone...

9. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,287
    Current Phone Model:
    True, but the quality is considered lower than CD, even with top end home audio systems & audio/video receivers. The sound through these "component" audio devices will definitely be better than with the desktop or portable player devices, but still will not compare to a CD played on a quality CD player or higher quality recording played on the same system. In other words, what comes from the source Bluetooth device and through Bluetooth can only sound as good as the device and the protocol can reproduce.

The new Apt-X Bluetooth protocol also still leaves something to be desired in quality. You have to have good equipment on which to reproduce it and compare with a CD of the same material, in order to hear the difference in most cases, but there is a significant difference. By comparison, something like my Roku Soundbridge M-2000, or my Sonos system can stream audio wirelessly and do so with full audio fidelity and quality, but the prior uses WIFI and the latter uses its own proprietary mesh network protocol. Both benefit from the massively higher bitrates possible, as well as the greater distances achievable between source and destination via their respective protocols.

I think Bluetooth is in need of another iteration, or perhaps a new wireless streaming protocol that is both CD quality or better, and yet still supports Bluetooth through downward compatibility. The fact is, whatever is out there now will never sound better than it does already. A new protocol means new equipment or at least a new dongle to access the equipment with the new protocol. Frankly I wouldn't mind a dongle hanging off my home audio equipment to give me that quality, but I don't need it as I use WIFI and Cellular now to stream audio to and from the home.

In the car, my phone streams through Bluetooth from my home NAS to the car's head unit and the sound is acceptable considering all the other noises you incur while on the road. I also have a few different BT headsets which I use for basic entertainment while out and about, but when I put on my Sennheiser HD-800 cans and swing back into my Human Touch Manual Perfect Chair PC6 Recliner with a hot Latte from my Saeco Royal Professional SuperAutomatica Espresso/Cappuccino machine to listen to Original Master Recordings of my favorite Jazz artists I want the best possible sound and I don't care that there's a wire...I WANT the wire. :biggrin: Heck, I'm not going anywhere for a couple hours anyway!