Beating the dead facebook horse!

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by deborah3756, Dec 15, 2010.

1. deborah3756

deborah3756 New Member

How and WHERE can we go to request somebody, ANYBODY to write a viable working Facebook for Android app an app that doesn't suck big ones!

Am I the only one who feels this way! ?!?!?

Sent from my DROID2
  2. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Rescue Squad Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

There used to be another app available, but FB pulled the API and the developer couldn't continue support.
  3. metroplex

metroplex New Member

The Facebook Android app is OK, but I also feel it is a worthless POS with a lot of functionality disabled for some reason. I end up using the Browser and viewing it in the full non-mobile version.
  4. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

I agree 100%!! Coming from an iPhone, I've been extremely disappointed with fb on Android! Still better than the one for BlackBerry though, IMHO.

DroidForums junkie!!
  5. nubby

nubby Member

It's getting better, it just takes forever for them to come up with something as good as others have. Maybe the Time Magazine "Man of the year" can push someone to pick up the pace.
  6. Khiraji

Khiraji Member

Seems fine to me... then again it's the only Facebook mobile app I've ever used. I can see my newsfeed, profile, notifications and friends. That's all I need. Now it even has chat, but I haven't used that yet.
  7. captainoftheworld

captainoftheworld New Member

You got to admit its getting better, but it still doesn't touch ipod/iphones facebook app. At least the devs are starting to lean towards android now and since we have majority share of of smartphone market over iOS we might be seeing bigger and better things sooner than later.

"Bootloader begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern Time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug. Bootloader fights back."
  8. y0manda

y0manda New Member

lol @ facebook users
  9. innershell

innershell New Member

I got so sick of using the stock FB app that I started writing one on my own. I spend 2 hours a night and it is A LOT of work. This is what the app looked like before I started stylizing it with nicer themes. :icon_ banana: It looks MUCH better than what you see here and I'm holding out on updated screenshots with the new theme because I'm waiting for the grand release.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

If you are interested in updates, you can follow my Droidbook Page on Facebook.
  10. markml0528

markml0528 New Member

The facebook app does suck really badly on android. My primary complaint would be that threads with a lot of messages stop showing up, it'll only show the first twenty messages in a thread and that's it. My second complaint, facebook chat is so unreliable. I sent someone like 5 IMs and they didn't respond, I went to my desktop and pulled up the chat, only IMs from the day before showed up. The fb app didn't even send my IMs.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  11. NiceGuysFinishLast

NiceGuysFinishLast New Member

FB Chat doesn't work right on the website.. Why would you expect it to be any better on the app? :icon_eek:
  12. markml0528

markml0528 New Member

I know. I consider all Facebook engineers incompetent at their jobs, why is it so hard to get Instant Messaging right? It's been around since the 90s.
  13. innershell

innershell New Member

If you dove into the FB code like I have as I build this FB alternative, you will see how limited the API is, hence the reason why there are very few alternatives.
  14. dbst

dbst New Member

Looks nice! I'll definitely try it out when you release it :)
  15. markml0528

markml0528 New Member

I wasn't calling you incompetent by any means. Just facebook employees since their instant chat feature is the worst IM client in the history of the internet.

16. Tillyswilly

Tillyswilly New Member

Facebook app is the WORST one ever
  17. qkpony

qkpony New Member

It would be nice to have things like remove friends and view friends friends and stuff like that

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  18. harasho

harasho New Member

I've used the fb app for a long time and it is sooo much better than it used to be. Notifications used to suck, no chat, no locations, and comments just wouldn't show. So compared to the old fb it really is better. But it is still sooo lacking compared to the iphone's fb. I get that the iphone's fb has been around longer but it is just way farther behind then it should be.
  19. chrstdvd

chrstdvd New Member

I have to agree with the devloper. It is a giant maze writing code for android. One reason that the app is so great on the iPhone is they only have to write code for one platform. I read many forums and see the Android app works great for some platforms and not others.

20. markml0528

markml0528 New Member

I see a lot of comparison's between Windows and Android. Both being in similar situations, Windows with desktops, and Android with smartphones.

Could the same comparison be made questioning why with Windows it's not a problem to develop for, but for Android it is? Since nearly 90% are using either Android 2.1 or 2.2, the source of the problem appears to be manufacturer's user interface's built on top of Android. Such as Motoblur, Touchwiz, Sense, etc.