Beating a dead horse... but ???

mlc331

Reaction score
I recently came back to Verizon after being with them for years. Actually left my family there when my wife and I went to att for the iphone. LOVED the ipone and think it may well be one of the best inventions in last decade! However att absolutely SUCKS! came back to verizon and got the blackberry. After the iphone, the bb really sucks. Droid came out and I was stoked.
Here is the problem... I coach several basketball teams and I used text messaging quite a bit. The problem that i have is that the stock messenger doesn't do group texting without manually inputing each number. GROUP TEXTING is huge for me. I've tried:
Text Easy - doesn't get the job done.
Handcent - slow and locks up after a day or so (not responding messeage appears)
Chomp - seemed to work, but doesn't support group from my gmail account and there is no way to create a group on the phone.

Additionally, when I use Chomp for single text, the contact list is showing everyone 2 and 3 times.

PLEASE... someone help me. I'm going to have to trade the phone out and go with a simple phone if I can't get this group messaging straight.

PLEASE HELP.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How long have you had handcent on your droid? I know there have been a couple of updates in the past week, I had noticed that in one of the updates, handcent stopped working correctly, so i removed it and added it back, and everything was good after that.

There have been a few issues with contacts and facebook and google. An annoyance to say the least.

treo700w

Reaction score
i have a droid and handcent works fine for me - no crashes or lockups.

however, i am annoyed that both messaging and handcent comes up when i receive texts even though i have the handcent as the default messenger app.

ice456789

Reaction score

however, i am annoyed that both messaging and handcent comes up when i receive texts even though i have the handcent as the default messenger app.

Disable notifications on the default messenger app.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

You mean they notify you? or both programs open up?

OP
M

mlc331

Reaction score
I've just downloaded Handcent again. When I choose a contact, it pulls up 3 or 4 of each contact..... 3 mobile, 3 home, 3 work....

What is going on here. When I pull up the contact list, it only show:

Call Work
Call Home
Call Mobile

What gives? Why am I pulling multiple duplicate listings when I pull up a Chomp contact?

Help..... PLEASE. It's driving me crazy!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok the brief reason why this is happening is, at least the reason it happened for me, was because i reset my phone 2-3 times (mostly stupid crap i did) but when i went back into facebook i allowed it to redownload my contacts. While this SHOULD NOT add another entry into my contacts, it did. So I had to go into my google account and click on the contacts, and manually delete the 2-3 extra entries for each person.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Go in to the default messenger's settings and turn off notifications so you don't realize.

Newton122189

Reaction score
how bout "group contact creator", there are a bunch of group contact things that integrate right into your phonebook, just search the word "group" in the marketplace

treo700w

Reaction score

yes, both notifies me and both opens up. but as LordKastle mentioned, i disabled the messaging notification. all i need is someone to text me to see if this is now resolved.

thanks!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

yes, both notifies me and both opens up. but as LordKastle mentioned, i disabled the messaging notification. all i need is someone to text me to see if this is now resolved.

thanks!

it should, i think we all had to remove the notification if we had one when we put the new messaging app on there. I prefer the notification form handcent 100 times more then the default so i turned that one off.

OP
M

mlc331

Reaction score
I did the gmail account/contact clean-up last night. Same issue this morning. On the droid contact app, the app that comes with the droid it only shows one mobile, home, work etc. etc.

Handcent still shows 3 or 4.

What a pain in the arse this is. Something that should be so simple... is now such a pain.

icculus

Reaction score
i am also in the hunt for the group contact manager i tried:

1. group contact creator 1.5 - 0.99c
2. clix - 0.99c
3. group sms plus - 1.99
4. Contacts Group U - free

like you i coach a couple of teams and need to send out mass texts. None of them seem to work just right...YET.

i actually think the free one is the most ergonomic, and the developer is working to make it compatable with the droid.

shouldnt be long...

austinnadz

Reaction score
just to clarify something here, you are trying to send out messages to a group, right? not for example, friend1, friend2 and friend3. you are trying to send something out to team1 and or team2? because if the droid won't let you send out messages to multiple numbers at once (I'm talking 3-4 people at a time not like 26), that could be a real downer.