Be Weary of 3rd Party Vendors

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
When I bought my Nexus, I got it from Best Buy. It was an upgrade, so I should have been receiving a BRAND NEW phone. It came out of the box with 4.0.2, but when I told a Verizon employee about this, they told me that all the phones are supposed to be coming out of the box with 4.0.1. She straight up told me that I more than likely received a restocked unit. That's pretty messed up, considering that it was an upgrade, and there should have been no excuse as to why I did not receive a new phone. This was the Nexus I had to return because of constant dropped signal issues.

Needless to say, I returned it to Verizon rather than Best Buy, got a brand new phone that came with 4.0.1. Have had no issues thus far. Anyone else have any issues with 3rd party vendors, or am I the only one?

wolstonc

Reaction score
When I bought my Nexus, I got it from Best Buy. It was an upgrade, so I should have been receiving a BRAND NEW phone. It came out of the box with 4.0.2, but when I told a Verizon employee about this, they told me that all the phones are supposed to be coming out of the box with 4.0.1. She straight up told me that I more than likely received a restocked unit. That's pretty messed up, considering that it was an upgrade, and there should have been no excuse as to why I did not receive a new phone. This was the Nexus I had to return because of constant dropped signal issues.

Needless to say, I returned it to Verizon rather than Best Buy, got a brand new phone that came with 4.0.1. Have had no issues thus far. Anyone else have any issues with 3rd party vendors, or am I the only one?

You should have went to the best buy manager about your findings. You would have probably got it replaced free with a new one and had some sort of compensation for your trouble.

No trouble here, but makes me extremely weary of places like wirefly

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I had a bad experience in the past with one of those "authorized" phone booths. Never again will I go to a 3rd party vendor, with Amazon being the exception.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I got my phone from radio shack and its on 4.0.2. Am I on the wrong version of android no?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I got my phone from radio shack and its on 4.0.2. Am I on the wrong version of android no?
You have the correct version. The problem is that OP got their phone out of box 4.0.2 and thinks it's a CLNR that was advertised as "new in box". A brand new Nexus should have been 4.0.1 and you would receive an OTA (4.0.2) after you activate the phone.

However, the Nexus did release in December and with it being February now maybe the new shipments ship with 4.0.2. Not sure though

OP
xDMONEYx

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Another indicator that it may have been a CLNR was the fact that the vibrate was LOUD. As in, something within the device was physically vibrating and rattling around. And as I said, the replacement I got at Verizon, I watched him pull it out of the box in front of me, and it came out with 4.0.1 and the vibrate is also normal and quite silent now. The other employee I talked to seemed confident that all Nexuses are still coming with 4.0.1 as well.

Htown315

Reaction score
Hardware version 10 phones come with 4.0.2 stock where as a hardware version 9 phone comes with 4.0.1 iirc.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Picked mine up at Costco. It was $219.99 and they have a 90 return policy. So I'm happy with it.

OP
xDMONEYx

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Hardware version 10 phones come with 4.0.2 stock where as a hardware version 9 phone comes with 4.0.1 iirc.

That could explain it then! Thanks for the info! Maybe Best Buy didn't try to shaft me after all. Guess it is bad to jump to conclusions. :p

And Droid-Xer, I wasn't implying that ALL units from ALL 3rd party stores would be flakey, this instance just made me want to say, be weary, just in case you do get a wonky unit for some reason.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
That could explain it then! Thanks for the info! Maybe Best Buy didn't try to shaft me after all. Guess it is bad to jump to conclusions. :p

And Droid-Xer, I wasn't implying that ALL units from ALL 3rd party stores would be flakey, this instance just made me want to say, be weary, just in case you do get a wonky unit for some reason.

Oh ya I know. Its my first time buying from a third party dealer so just wanted to add my two cents.

OP
xDMONEYx

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Oh ya I know. Its my first time buying from a third party dealer so just wanted to add my two cents.

Fair enough good sir! This is also my first time buying from a 3rd party vendor. I doubt it will deter me from doing so again in the future, especially from placed like Amazon. Htown's input is also a bit settling as well.