be aware when trading or selling phones on craigslist

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
simple rule I have when selling/buying phones through CL.

The transaction has to happen at a Verizon (or any other carrier) store. There I can check the IMEI, get the phone activated, have witnesses, and be in a safe environment. If anyone refuses to meet me in a Verizon store then I don't even bother.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Lol.. every time I suggest that we meet at a vzw store... the people act all weird...its funny..even if I'm the one selling the device...I tell people openly . This way you can get the device activated and on your line asap..and you know you're not being ripped off...they act really strange when you say that.

I guess its because I'm brutally honest.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Lol.. every time I suggest that we meet at a vzw store... the people act all weird...its funny..even if I'm the one selling the device...I tell people openly . This way you can get the device activated and on your line asap..and you know you're not being ripped off...they act really strange when you say that.

I've had a few offers who backed out because I said Verizon store only meet. Got a feeling they trying to pay me with some funny money or something.

Gotta be careful and smart about who you deal with on CL. I strictly stick to making deals only in the daytime too (Fall/Winter I make an exception) and choose to meet at the Verizon store at the mall to get these kind of deals done.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I hear that... its odd...but caution is never a bad thing on cl...

S

SFGate

I found a job one time on cl. I only respond to the ads where they identify themselves, or I can investigate who they are through a listed phone number. I never respond to blind ads. CL is just too scary otherwise. I like the idea about meeting at a provider store. Sounds pretty safe to me.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Or just brutal... :D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Shh.. don't tell :)

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
I never issue with craigslist use common sense.
It like talking to girl u will know who who.
Which person is kinda honest or isnt.

Team DROID

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Go with cex.com or nearest one in your city at least with them is store and u dont need to worry about bad esn or robbery happening or worst.

Team DROID

OP
eddiekeyton

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
People will try anything to pull one over on you. Its crazy. Someone argued with Verizon just the other day when I was buying a phone for a friend. They tried to tell Verizon that it was a clean ESN and that they've owned the phone since day 1. And Verizon said ummmm this phones been on 8 different accounts. Lol

Sent from my stock Samsung Galaxy S3 - Sapphire Black

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Eddie, thanks, nice thread. A comment and a question:

First, I once put a computer on Amazon, and the buyer is like, "Oh I totally want to buy it for my boyfriend, but he's in Africa. Can you ship it there?" That looked like a red flag, of course I ended up passing on the offer.

Second, the other issue that came up is the buyer wanted to skip Amazon and do Paypal instead. I hear all the time that that move is part of a scam, but if you say, "No shipping until the funds are in my account" isn't that safe? How do Paypal scams work -- is it like a check that bounces a few weeks later?

-Matt

OP
eddiekeyton

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
Eddie, thanks, nice thread. A comment and a question:

First, I once put a computer on Amazon, and the buyer is like, "Oh I totally want to buy it for my boyfriend, but he's in Africa. Can you ship it there?" That looked like a red flag, of course I ended up passing on the offer.

Second, the other issue that came up is the buyer wanted to skip Amazon and do Paypal instead. I hear all the time that that move is part of a scam, but if you say, "No shipping until the funds are in my account" isn't that safe? How do Paypal scams work -- is it like a check that bounces a few weeks later?

-Matt

I don't ever deal with buyers who want to skip the internal payment options and go straight to PayPal. That is a huge red flag. Chances are they're using a stolen PayPal. Great job declining the offer(s). Paypal scams normally result from buyers using a stolen PayPal account, or they can simply do a charge back. If you want to keep it safe, only do business inside the USA. Smart move on your end Matt.

Sent from my stock Samsung Galaxy S3 - Sapphire Black