BE AWARE: Anyone else hear about this?

StupidGenius

Reaction score
I just read this on Engaget.

----------------------------------

Phishing Android apps explain our maxed-out credit cards

By Chris Ziegler posted Jan 11th 2010 2:07PM

There's no such thing as a perfect mobile app store strategy -- you're either too draconian, too arbitrary, or too loose in your policies, and as far as we can tell, there's no way to find a balance that isn't going to trigger an occasional alarm or get a few people worked into a lather. If you're too loose, for instance, you're liable end up with the occasional bout of malware, which is exactly what appears to have gone down recently in the Android Market with a few fake banking apps published by a bandit going as "Droid09." As you might imagine, the apps end up doing little more than stealing your information and ending your day in tears; the apps have since been pulled, but that's probably little consolation for those already affected. The moral of the story? Be vigilant, keep a close eye on those system permissions the Market warns you about as you install new apps, report sketchy ones, and -- as always -- use a hearty dose of common sense.

Phishing Android apps explain our maxed-out credit cards -- Engadget

jfourman

Reaction score

There's no such thing as a perfect mobile app store strategy -- you're either too draconian, too arbitrary, or too loose in your policies, and as far as we can tell, there's no way to find a balance that isn't going to trigger an occasional alarm or get a few people worked into a lather. If you're too loose, for instance, you're liable end up with the occasional bout of malware, which is exactly what appears to have gone down recently in the Android Market with a few fake banking apps published by a bandit going as "Droid09." As you might imagine, the apps end up doing little more than stealing your information and ending your day in tears; the apps have since been pulled, but that's probably little consolation for those already affected. The moral of the story? Be vigilant, keep a close eye on those system permissions the Market warns you about as you install new apps, report sketchy ones, and -- as always -- use a hearty dose of common sense.

I downloaded the app for my bank from the MarketPlace. The moment I tried to signin for the first time, it hit me: "What the heck am I doing, this is probably a phishing scam". I immediately changed the password to my account and haven't had a problem. I am glad/not-so-glad to hear confirmation that was a phishing scam since I was getting ready to chalk up my concern as a false alarm and change my password back.

iPirate

Reaction score
Anyone have this happen to them? I don't exactly trust Engadget.

I downloaded the app for my bank from the MarketPlace. The moment I tried to signin for the first time, it hit me: "What the heck am I doing, this is probably a phishing scam". I immediately changed the password to my account and haven't had a problem. I am glad/not-so-glad to hear confirmation that was a phishing scam since I was getting ready to chalk up my concern as a false alarm and change my password back.

Is that what the app was? Bank app?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another reason I don't do any banking on my phone. Common sense will keep you free from this harm.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you bank on your Droid, use the bank's webpage... no need for an app... unless it's released by the bank!

Caprice0083

Reaction score
My bank is so small its probably not even avaible for the legit ones, still a bad move to bank on the phone, I just call them up for balances and stuff like that.