BBv5 Kernel Issues. Woe is me.

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by dlnp22, Sep 25, 2010.

1. dlnp22

dlnp22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Always been partial to Chevy kernels.....flashed 1.2 via zip method/Clockwork, and had it working for a full day before it rebooted and froze on "M"(this was the first time EVER I had been able to run 1.2, so was stoked..........for the day ;) Reluctantly I flashed to 1.0 and was peachy keen.

Until now. Wanting to find any 1.2 kernel that would actually work, I tried bekit 1.2(through ROM Manager). No dice, and ever since, I can't get any other kernel to boot my phone up completely(even the previous chevy 1.0) Note: I've tried low, ultra low, medium, and all up the spectrum down to .8 ghz

Forever stuck on M logo. What the crap do I do now, short of reinstalling the whole BBv5 zip??

An aside: when I'm up and running again, anyone have tips for getting my freaking phone to run (any) 1.1 or 1.2 kernels?? I got just a taste that day, and I want it again...badly :icon_eek:

Any help MUCH appreciated in advance. Thanks all.

2. JohnnyDepth

JohnnyDepth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You might find yourself creating massive headaches trying to push your phone to speeds it obviously does not like. Aside from getting a fast benchmark assuming quadrant doesn't freeze there is no logical reason to run at 1.2

The fact you're having issues is a testament many phones including yours cannot run at 1.2

I was able to run at 1.3.....big deal. I settled for a 1ghz kernel and routinely clock it at 800.

3. dlnp22

dlnp22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I figured I had a "logical" reason......the fact that my phone ran better?

But alas, such is life.

4. Loooney2ns

Loooney2ns Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The faster kernels also kill battery life. It's an unfortunate trade-off. I usually don't install any kernels over 1.0. Right now i'm running pete's "stock" kernel at 800 mhz. My benchmark is only 1000, but it is fast enough for me and my battery life has been stellar.

5. dlnp22

dlnp22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate the input, I do. No disrespect but I'm fully aware. I'm no n00b. Just looking for direct answers to the two specific questions in OP. Thanks, all :)

6. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think you have your answers but are ignoring them. Some phones (processors) just can't run at certain speeds no matter what you try to do. They may all be the same processors but there are tolerances and differences in each and every one.

Good luck.

7. djembeman

djembeman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What do you do now? Hopefully you made a Nandroid backup of when you had BB V0.5 running well, before flashing the custom kernels.

Restore your nandroid backup and try other kernels from there or stick with stock.

The ultra low voltage chevyno1 kernel I tried made my phone get stuck on boot animation. I had to do a battery pull then boot into clockworkmod recovery and tried flashing another known good kernel from there but "no dice." When it booted up every single app that starts at boot was force closing and it wanted me to reactivate the phone. From there I just booted into recovery and restored my Nandroid backup. All data was also restored with this. No need to reactivate the phone or any of that.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  8. tfkennady

tfkennady Member

Ratings:
    +0
    +1, OC'd is cool but i actually believe i get better overall performance with pete's stock kernal

9. JohnnyDepth

JohnnyDepth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No one feels you're a noob (not that it matters considering we're all in this
    together) community wise...

However you said your phone ran better?
    According to your OP it ran better for just one day, then
    when you flashed a different kernel it stopped working...

These types of experiences (I've had as well) come from
    mostly:

-flashing a kernel without making certain the MD5 sum matches up.
    -flashing when your phone is already running hot
    -flashing on a low battery charge
    -your phone not being able to handle said kernel/speed
    -user error

When you flashed your kernel which method did you use? (SPRE or Clock)
    Was your phone already hot prior to flashing?

Every non-noob should know that having a backup (Nandroid) is
    a fundamental prerequisite before flashing any kernel, rom, theme, etc...

My advice to installing fast kernels?

-Make sure your phone is cool to the touch, I put my phone in
    the freezer for 5 minutes before flashing kernels IF it is hot.

-Make sure you have a full charge.
    I don't flash unless I see 100.

Good luck to you and always have a backup.

10. dlnp22

dlnp22 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Very good post, thank you. That was exactly what I was looking for. I had never once considered any of those suggestions(not flashing when hot/low battery, etc). Will continue to test.

****My last nandroid backup was from right after installing bbv5 for the first time. Rather than just restoring, and starting from scratch with settings, and setting up home screems and apps, I just reflashed the v5 .zip(edit: without wiping), and everything is back to normal(running the stock kernel, obviously)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  11. drwits

drwits New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    just had a similar issue...
    thank god for recovery options...
    was able to mount usb storage... grab bb05 and reinstall

12. youngmoney

youngmoney New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I once tried a Chevy1 1.25 Ghz kernel and my phone simply could not handle it. I would get weird anomalies such as the screen refreshing, text message contact pictures "blinking" and other things, among random reboots as well. Of course, this was on BBv0.4 and I'm now using a Slayher 1.0 Ghz kernel with no problems, so I don't know if it was the Chevy kernel, the theme/ROM I was running or that my phone can't handle anything over 1.0 GHz

13. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Pull the SD Card from your phone and put it in an SD Card reader on your PC. Download a lower clocked kernel 800 Mhz - 1 Ghz and Low Voltage NOT ULV. Place it on the root of your SDCard. If using SPRecovery rename it to update.zip if CMR no need. Then put the SDCard back into your phone and boot into recovery by holding down the X on the keypad and press power. Once in recovery flash the new kernel and reboot. That should get you to a working state.

14. borq646

borq646 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's pretty odd. I have never found a kernel I couldn't run prior to v5. Now I can only run Chevy kernels, 1Ghz and below, or the stock kernel.

Never had any issues before though.