1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

BBM for Android floating around - are you interested?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by JohnDroid, Oct 5, 2011.

1. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

[​IMG]

We've been hearing rumors about BBM (BlackBerry Messenger for those of you who never used a Blackberry) being tested on Android for some time now. Why would RIM do this? Well, it's no surprise that BlackBerry has been losing marketshare for a while now. So, when the going gets tough, the tough get going or something like that... Perhaps it's just a backup plan and they plan to sell it as a service. Who knows? Regardless, they are toying with that idea. The question is, do you care?

I used to use BBM with some frequency back in the day, but now that I haven't had it in years I don't even think about it or miss it. It certainly MIGHT help some enterprise customers switch away from BlackBerry to Android -- which is why I find it strange that RIM would even condone it.

What are your thoughts?

You can find out a bit more about the BBM on Android at the great TechnoBuffalo article here: BlackBerry Messenger for Android Shown Off in Spy Shots (again) | TechnoBuffalo
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2011
  2. ConqSoft

ConqSoft New Member

Not caring here... I don't have any friends still on Blackberry...
  3. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

I'm from the school of folks that has always wondered what was so special about BBM. Even when I had a Blackberry, I didn't get it. To me, it's just another IM program. To me, it was a pain anyways; because everytime you swapped devices your PIN would change.

I don't IM much anyways, but when I do, I prefer a solution like Google Talk.

Which leads me to my next huge question about this: if BBM is based on the device's unique PIN; how on earth is it going to work on non-BB devices? The only way I can think of is if it generated a unique PIN somehow tied to the device's MEID.

This is one of those things that i'd like to see, not because I am actually interested in the program itself; but rather because I am curious as to how they plan on implementing it.
  4. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

A PIN tied to your Gmail account would be ideal, but I agree... SMS always worked for me. BBM was "super SMS" that was "cheap" as well but not significantly different that I would even waste my time finding out my friends PINs.
  5. Hawaiian Princess

Hawaiian Princess Moderator

Mix bag

Hmm as it was mentioned, BBM used its own PIN which was ok. But im not sure about using thru gmail acct. i had a lot of friends on it and actually thought it was the greatest thing. i miss it and i wouod give it a shot...i think
  6. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

My brother and my dad are big bbm'ers. I'd give it a shot.

Sent from my CushZero using DroidForums
  7. Narsil

Narsil Active Member

I can barely muster the give a crap about BBM to type this post...
  8. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

That was the problem with it, though. If you got a new BB device, you had to remember to give all your BBM friends your new PIN, because that was the only way they could reference you. I kinda just don't see where it is ANY different from any other instant messenger program out there; aside from being less portable.
  9. wicked

wicked Administrator Staff Member

My sister was a big BB user and used BBM with all her collegues. She got a Tbolt on launch. She's going to love this.
  10. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

I have one friend that has a BB. And he's getting an IPhone soon. So I guess I'm not interested anymore haha.
  11. zachdroid

zachdroid New Member

I have a good friend that is die hard bb so I'd go for this

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  12. marcusdavidhall

marcusdavidhall New Member

Sure

I had a BB for my work phone. I have a friend in canada that i would message using BBM. So it would be neat to use BBM with Android
  13. UNC

UNC New Member

I am very interested, have dozens of friends still on BB.
  14. Captmilk

Captmilk New Member

BB Messenger is for those people that still have tape player walk-mans and laser disc players.........oh yeah and their belt clipped blackberries.
  15. Big Dawg 23

Big Dawg 23 Member

I personally won't, but this would be the clincher to get my wife off her Crapberry. She uses BBM all day everyday with friends and relatives. She likes the no limit to text among larger pictures and videos vs. SMS/MMS. However, she has finally got tired of the small 3.5MB cap on email. When she sees my Atrix run email a lot better and smoother. She is also getting jealous of speed and camera ability's.
  16. fenrisswolf

fenrisswolf Member

In and of itself, BBM isn't that big an item.

Back in the day when I had a Blackberry Pearl, nobody I IM'd regularly had one, so BBM was a non-issue for me. However, by now, a lot of my friends and relatives outside the US have migrated from feature phones to BB's, and they really like using BBM, so having BBM on Android would help stay in touch with them for now. At least until android adoption takes hold with them. (Although we may see some defect to Apple's Iphone too.) Either way, it would be a nice stop-gap measure to have and use for what I expect to be a few years, at least.
Search tags for this page

bbm emoticons for android

bbm for android

blackberry smileys for android

floating bbm
pacman