BB V1.1, Kernals, Heat and a Trip

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by jawa6969, Jun 1, 2010.

1. jawa6969

jawa6969 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thought this was the place to post this since I am on BB V1.1 with the LV 800 Bekit.

I have an upcoming 10 hour drive. I want to use the navigation the whole way as well as steam Pandora. My concern is the heat since I have rooted and overclocked. Yesterday I used the Navigation alone for a 1 hour drive and the phone got what I would consider hot (near 50° C). It was on my dash mount that is sometimes in direct sun and sometimes not. I do have a rubbery cover on it that I got at Verizon. Today as an expierament, I ran Wifi Tether, Navigation, and Pandora at the same time. I keep the Nav on the screen so it will not dim and I have it plugged in. After about 20 minutes, I hit about 53° C. It's in my house and not mounted!! So what will a 10 hour trip do you think? Should I go with another kernal? Go back to stock? Am I expecting too much from the phone for 10 hours? Remove the rubber cover just for the trip?

I thought about SetCPU but when I was on BB V1.0, I attempted the fix that would allow me to set profiles and actually use SetCPU but it started lagging bad. Everytime I use SetCPU and use profiles, I see lag. Plus I heard that BB and SetCPU dont mix.

I don't want to ruin this phone on my vacation!! Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. :)

2. peteralfonso

peteralfonso Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    This is nothing but a myth, SetCPU works perfectly with BB.
    If you would like to lower your clock speed for the trip and not use setcpu you may do the following:

1. Open "Android Terminal Emulator"
    2. Run the "godmode" script
    3. Open Astro File Manager
    4. Navigate to /system/xbin/pete
    5. Open as a text document
    6. Change the 800000 to 600000 (or whatever speed you desire)
    7. Save your changes
    8. Reboot Phone
    9. Enjoy your trip!

FYI, I would run it as is at 800Mhz. It's your phone so do what makes you feel comfortable.

3. jawa6969

jawa6969 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow. Thanks for the quick answer!! Will do and no worries on number 9. :)

4. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +317
    Pete - would a good summary of SetCPU with BB1.* be this?

SetCPU is simply not needed to enable the overclocking as the "pete script" does this for you, but can still be utilized for the potential advantages of setting profiles and failsafes, with no complications arising from interacting with BB1.*.

5. obededom

obededom Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have never run Maps for more than an hour without it feeling like a fireball afterward. the heat generated by that program is not rom specific...ever people who are non-rooted and stock complain about it

my suggestion: buy a garmin

6. jawa6969

jawa6969 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know but I but I bought this phone to do the two birds and a stone thing. I guess I can give it a go and if the cover starts dripping onto the dash I will start looking for a Verizon store. ;)

7. HarshReality

HarshReality Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I ran maps in my car at 800 for 8hours and went no higher than 53 and my phone is still fine.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. tsitalon1

tsitalon1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just spent 13 hours this past weekend. BBv1.1 and Bekit LV1000

Interior car temp was set at 72º and droid was in cup holder (not in direct sunlight) but was pluged into the usb charger the whole time.

With the nav screen in default configuration (zoomed in) I was getting 123º

If I manually zoomed out, it would reduce temp's to 118º. I left it zoomed out most of the way, until I needed to zoom in.​

9. jawa6969

jawa6969 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess a good summary of all this is that the phone can handle the higher temperatures and will shut down before melting down. When one chooses to OC, one knows that they are shortening the life of the device with increased heat which is known as an enemy to electronic devices. Would anyone agree with that?

I guess the fear is feeling like I am going to melt the device on the spot but really the damage done would be felt later on when the device dies earlier then designed. Am I thinking properly on this or is this just another theory/opinion?

10. flyguide83

flyguide83 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    FYI, Im running the same setup with 800 kernel.. Just got back from an 8 hr trip running Nav and pandora the whole way.. Temps held steady at 120*F give or take about 8*.. Hot, but not too hot.. If you unplug the charger it will go way down... These temps wont hurt your phone...
    Also... I cant see anyone having their phone long enough to see any ill effects.. If you want to be safe, break it every 10 months or so to get a replacement..lol

#10 flyguide83, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  11. mcapozzi

mcapozzi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The temperatures a modern processor can tolerate are much higher than what a Lithium Ion battery can safely tolerate. From what I've read the Droid's CPU has an operating temp from 0 - 105C.

I would be more worried about a battery blowing up than the CPU melting down.

-Mike

12. droid420

droid420 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hate to see high temps on my phone at all, so I set up my car mount so that my car ac just blows on the back of my phone and I can move my vent to ajust temps.