1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

BB v1.0 versus Froyo

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by tkstock, May 25, 2010.

1. tkstock

tkstock New Member

I'm currently on BB v1.0 running at 800MHz.

It appears that Froyo 2.2 has all or most of the functionality of BB 1.0 (except root, of course). It has wifi tethering, significant performance gains (even without overclocking). It also has one huge new feature: Flash 10.1.

I'm debating about what to do, and am hoping to start a discussion along the pros and cons of going back to stock for the Froyo upgrade.

Since most of the reason I have root is to get the features which Froyo has without root, is there a reason I should stay on BB? I will probably go back as soon as a BB for 2.2 is out, but until then, are there features in BB that I'm missing that would change my mind?
  2. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Pointless debate, since 2.2 is not available for the Droid yet. You can bet that Pete will do a Froyo-based ROM, as soon as the source is available.
  3. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

OK. This is REALLY simple to answer and will end the discussion.

1. Froyo is faster than Eclair
    2. Froyo has a working/stable JIT compiler
    3. Froyo has wireless hotspot and tether
    4. Froyo has Flash 10.1 and Adobe AIR
    5. Froyo has a faster Browser
    6. Froyo has Apps2SD native
    7. Froyo has an updated kick ass update all market

Now comes the part that ENDS the discussion.

Rooted Droid + OC'ed 800 Mhz Kernel + Bugless Beast Version? (Froyo) = SUPER WIN

You will not only have all the benefits of Froyo but more homescreens, 800 Mhz OC and whatever other goodness Pete throws in.
  4. dbutters

dbutters New Member

Also take into account that no carrier is likely to leave the wifi tethering in for free. I imagine they'll lock it down pretty well, and demand an extra $30/month for the privilege. I don't know if we'll still be able to use our illicit wifi-tether programs even, as presumably the carriers will be watching for that kind of traffic now.
  5. tkstock

tkstock New Member

Yeah, I'm wondering about that as well - sure, the OS includes Wifi tethering and hotspot, but will the OTA update from VZW allow you to use it? After all, that would cut into their MiFi market. Of course, potential Nexus One users who have the new Froyo update won't be looking in here to provide input, so maybe I posted this in the wrong place, but it would be nice to see if the WiFi tethering / hotspot is enabled.
  6. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Yeah, I dont buy for a minute that Verizon will allow the Google-based tethering on their phones without some sort of compensation.
  7. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

Pete will have a few froyo features in his next release. You can bet money that if you stay rooted you will have many features of froyp early. And the way vzw releases ota it could be a week or more after the first update rolls out that u could get it but if your rooted someone will have a stock 2. 2 update. Zip with root so you could use that if ud like to run normal.
  8. tkstock

tkstock New Member

Well, in reality, he has some of the Froyo features in v1.0 (with the right kernel). Wifi tethering, etc. But, I know Pete is busy and it could be a while before a rooted 2.2 is out, so I'm weighing the pros can cons. I guess another question is: will the performance of Froyo nullify the need to overclock (until an overclocked 2.2 is out)?
  9. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Bite your tongue man! Nullify the need to overclock!? Quick someone get this guy medical attention, A.S.A.P.!!!
  10. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Well-Known Member

lol. No. Just no.

If you are rooted now, just stay rooted. ROMS = Awesome advantage over stock.
  11. tkstock

tkstock New Member

Ah, but that's why I said "until an overclocked 2.2 is out". ;)
    So, if you're getting a 45% performance boost from o/c to 800MHz but moving to Froyo gives you a 60% performance boost, is it apples to apples? I know it's a hypothetical argument until we actually see Froyo running on the Moto Droid, but I like to contemplate...
  12. mcapozzi

mcapozzi New Member

Yeah, have to agree. I regret ever unrooting my Sprint Hero with the "official 2.1" update.

But yet again, it gave me enough of a reason to get a Droid.

-Mike
  13. quadjacks

quadjacks New Member

And how long will we have to wait, AGAIN, as we did for the current update we have. No faith in the system, Froyo may not come out til next year....
  14. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

I say Froyo on Droid by 6/15
  15. dave4100

dave4100 New Member

I think the middle of June is a very good guess. I would say the same. As far as BB V. Froyo, I will wait until one of the rom makers have a version out with 2.2 on it. I'm in no hurry for this update.
  16. Sandso9

Sandso9 New Member

i heard the source was released for froyo but im not sure i read it on twitter
  17. tkstock

tkstock New Member

The SDK was released, not the source, to my understanding.
  18. Silvergriffon

Silvergriffon New Member

I think they will make no attempt to block the wifi tethering. The Palm Pre Plus launched with wifi tethering available for $40/month but they soon changed it and made the feature free. I don't think they will move to block the feature from their other phones. In fact, I speculate they made it free for the Pre + because they knew the feature was coming to their android phones (and possibly others) and didn't want to kill sales of the Pre +.
  19. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

No chance.

Froyo Update: Carriers Control Who Has Tethering

Verizon will almost certainly block or charge for tethering. If they let you do it for free, the network will cripple to a halt.
  20. droidtom

droidtom New Member

Doesn't vzw advertise the palm pre as including wifi tethering? If its included with that phone why would they lock it down on ours or how would they justify not allowing us to do it?