1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

BB V0.4 versus Lithium Mod Comparison

Discussion in 'LithiumMod' started by elucid, Aug 5, 2010.

1. elucid

elucid New Member

My BB 0.4 experience:
    I tried running BB 0.4 for a couple of weeks. The same day I installed BB I got the itch to try overclocking so I went big and tried Chevyno1 1.2Ghz ULV. Much to my surprise it ran flawlessly, well almost. 2 days later I got an application to force close. Nothing major, but I'm not willing so sacrifice stability for performance. I figured it was my kernel so I downgraded to 1.1GHz. After a day I also had another force close. Down to 1Ghz, same thing after a couple of days. I also began to notice that the BB toolkit would always force close. Lowered to 800mhz ULV and the BB toolkit problem went away. When the new version of Quandrant came out, it would force close during the benchmark! So I downgraded to 800mhz LV and then 800mhz MV. Finally it would work. But still I would get some force closes every day or so. One more thing, very occasionally the touch screen would become unresponsive. I would have to press the screen multiple times to get it to register. To be fair to BB, I didn't give the stock kernel much of a chance.

My Lithium mod experience:
    I saw that Jrummy was conspiring with other devs to make the Lithium Mod, I knew I had to give it a try. First thing I noticed (other than a new launcher), was my battery life is easily 50% if not 100% better. Previously I was having to charge after 12 hours, now it is more like 24 hours. Funny that the kernel didn't seem to make a difference in battery life. I've only been running Lithium since yesterday, but I've noticed no force closes and no touch screen issues. This time I'm going to stick with the stock kernel a week to get a baseline of performance and stability. The quadrant scores aren't any higher (and may actually be lower than BB). However, the responsiveness seems better. This is worth more than any quadrant score (although it was fun to get a higher benchmark score than the nexus one 2.2+) :)
  2. mightybrick

mightybrick New Member

Welcome to the fold of Source Builds. :)
  3. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

Correct, with petes rom you might as well run a leaked ROM. After moving over to source built ROM's I can never go back
  4. treefrog20012003

treefrog20012003 New Member

One thing that I have noticed from source built roms is the cell signal issue. Stock, rooted, BB v0.4 do not have a major issue but all of the source roms I have tried have a weak signal to the cell towers. Anyone have an idea why?:blink:
  5. hookerdj

hookerdj New Member

no comparison lithium is a built from source rom with all kinds of customizations while bugless is a stock rom with some super tweaks

6. elucid

elucid New Member

7. treefrog20012003

I am not new to all of this but to say that there is no comparison between source built and stock rom is hard for me to believe. There is an issue with the radio in the source rom that is not in the stock rom yet they all come from the same base code to begin with. There has to be a reason the source rom has a weak radio and the "stock" rom does not have a weak radio. This is what I am trying to understand and it seems no one understands. I love a lot of the source rom's but the radio issue is a killer for me.
  8. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

I hope someone can inform elucid, as he demonstrates the ignorance of nearly the entirety of Bugless Beast users. Not trying to be mean lucid... just that Pete is distributing the most basic ROM, it's pretty much stock with a few tweaks. He's done a very good job moderating Android processes, and adding a few features. But the ROM's built from source take leaps and bounds away from what he is doing...
  9. robs1011

robs1011 New Member

Exchange

I agree, Bugless drains battery super fast. Lithium does not. But the worst part is Lithium won't connect to my cooperate email. People say try a 3rd party app but that defeats the purpose IMO. For some reason with Lithium I just can't connect my cooperate email account with exchange. So odd.

If I could do this I'd be super happy with Lithium and use it for sure. But i'm back to just 2.1 rooted right now because of battery issues with BB.
  10. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

If your purpose is to get your corporate email onto your phone why does it matter what app you use to do it? All of the 3rd party apps that I've tried work much better than the native email app. The stock gmail app can at least be used, but the stock pop3/imap email program is almost totally unusable. That is why almost every custom rom comes with a built in script to remove it. Everyone uses K-9, Maildroid, and touchdown.
  11. treefrog20012003

I agree that the source Roms are truley a leap above bugless but everyone is still ignoring my question, why do source Roms have a weak radio? Come on people quit avoiding it! :(
  12. robs1011

robs1011 New Member

How is it better? Right now I can download attachments and I actually get the email a few seconds before it shows on the inbox on my computer. I have had no issues at all. Everyone keeps say use Touchdown but why should I pay for something when the phone comes ready to use. BB worked flawlessly with cooperate email. To me it just doesn't make sense and these apps are a work around the issue. In the log it says Lithium has exchange capabilities yet it doesn't connect.

Maybe i'll try an app it just seems funny to have to do that to me. That's all. I'm not hating. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. I love the battery life with Lithium and all the themes for sure!
  13. robs1011

robs1011 New Member

I haven't had this issue. Sorry, not ignoring you just don't know what to say.
  14. trol1374

trol1374 New Member

Please take this with a smile.. not slamming. But aren't you contradicting yourself? You are running a non stock, 3rd party Rom for obvious reasons, yet you don't believe in using a 3rd party app that could possibly work better.
  15. robs1011

robs1011 New Member

That's fine. I see your point. Zing! You got me sir! =)
  16. robs1011

robs1011 New Member

3rd party cooperate email apps

Do these apps also sync your contacts? I guess I just thought of this also. All of my contacts are on Outlook. I should have saved them all on Google from the beginning. Is there a way to transfer them from Outlook to Google?
  17. CletusVanDam

CletusVanDam New Member

Not sure what you mean. The ROM's and radios are two seperate things, you can use different baseband versions with source ROM's. I'm using LithiumMod and have Pete's all-in-one radio update. It works great.
  18. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

personally, even though i can connect my email, i don't use the stock email - i think it blows! it is certainly very basic, and just doesn't have the functions i need - no signature? no attachments? i have been using Touchdown Exchange from the beginning, and it works great!! signatures, attachments, subfolders, calendar and contacts built in, etc. you can try it out for free for a week or so, and see if you like it...
  19. treefrog20012003

Very few seem to have this problem but those of us who have would like to find out what is going on. Roms that I have tried that have the issue are SAPPHIRE, Cyogen, and Lithium Mod (which was better than the others) the Roms I have tried that do not have it are stock, all versions of BB. The weak radio is a problem as I live in the country and I have signal issues with these Roms even outside.
  20. CletusVanDam

CletusVanDam New Member

People who use third party apps for email are usually power users. Ever since the FRG01B came out, the associated Google Apps have not worked correctly for me and a couple of other people. For example, Email search is gone, pressing the search button will not let you search your inbox. Sometimes corporate email will not connect at all. It appears to be a bug in the new Google Apps developed in the leaked Froyo builds.

I personally use Touchdown, I am a Information Systems Director and have to mull through 50-100 emails a day. The reasons I use Touchdown are: Ability to sync all folders at once (previously not available in corp email on Android), ability to set out of office messages, custom ringtones for emails marked important, keep corporate email contacts separate from contacts synced through Gmail, more versatile calendar with accept/reject features that automatically add events to your calendar, etc., etc. The list goes on and on. Apps like Touchdown and K-9 give you TONS of features that the stock email corp app does not provide. You just obviously do not need these features, so you don't understand why any one else would want them. There is a reason devs set out to make these third-party email apps and there is a reason people pay $5-$15 for them!

Hope that helps you understand better! :biggrin:

BTW. Source ROMS are way superior to tweaked-leaked builds!