1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

BB V.5 - Home, Search, and Power Button

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by bblackburn03, Sep 24, 2010.

1. bblackburn03

bblackburn03 New Member

First off, I am really liking the ROM so far, it seems to be quite snappy and so far seems stable (only been a few hours though, so can’t tell to much on that yet). However, after installing BB V.5 I am having a few problems.

When powering off the phone, the only option I have is Power Off. There is no Airplane Mode option or whatever the third option was. While this isn’t a huge problem, it still annoys me because there have been a few times that I’ve used this to turn on Airplane mode.

When hitting the power button to put my phone to sleep, it does not lock it. I actually cannot seem to lock my phone at all now. This is a big problem…

The home and search buttons (below the screens active area) are no longer working. The back and list buttons are functioning properly.

I thought maybe it didn’t install properly for some reason (even though the log seemed correct) and I reinstalled it, but I am having the same issues after the reinstall.

Thanks,
    Brad
  2. Chillout

Chillout New Member

I did read a couple places that if you don't allow the phone to fully boot up after the install before you start messing around with it, that can cause some problems. Don't know if that helps any or not.

Ive not had any issues with the power button, search button, etc. All seems fine to me *knock on wood*
  3. AceDROID

AceDROID New Member

yeah same here, just tested every issue you mentioned and got none of them on my end. When your Droid first boot up did you tap the Droid to continue with the initial set up of the phone?

Also, did you do the wipe cache/data coming from whatever ROM you were using before? These are all crucial to the new BB ROM itself, so you may have to go back and try reinstalling it without touching anything when it first boots up, and let it go through and restart itself completely. Takes <10 minutes to go through the process. I believe, thats how long mine took, though all my backed up apps took a little longer than that to be restored..
  4. bblackburn03

bblackburn03 New Member

Well, I never touched the screen. During the first install on the initial boot my screen did time out, and I hit the power button to turn the backlight back on. However, in the second install I literally sat it on my desk, watching it, with my hands away from it. I made sure to have absolutely no contact with the phone whatsoever until it rebooted itself.

Now, if you’re saying touching it too quickly after the second boot, I usually do interact with my phone as soon as possible. I just tried to reboot my phone without interacting with it for a few minutes, and it seems to have the same problem.

I’m still shocked at how quickly this boots too, I love it, haha.
  5. bblackburn03

bblackburn03 New Member

I did clear Data/Cache as well -- However I only did it once. I saw in the BB V.5 thread where someone recommended doing it twice. I think I may end up trying that, as I figure all I've got to loose is a few minutes of time. I've not really setup my phones home screens or anything yet because I was unsure how I would need to address this issue.
  6. AceDROID

AceDROID New Member

sounds very odd.. maybe you ended up with a corrupt download? Did you download it as soon as it came out? or on ROM Manager? Maybe try redownloading it and putting it on your sd card then try it again? I mean if it doesn't work it's only a half hour max depending on how long it takes to download and transfer, but if it works it'll be the best half hour you spent, if not then its only a half hour, right? haha.

Sorry, if I can think of anything else or if anyone who has had this issue and can shed some light on it that would be great. I'll do my best to think of other possibilities.
  7. AceDROID

AceDROID New Member

also, try holding the search button and see if that helps.. does the search key work on the physical keyboard?
  8. bblackburn03

bblackburn03 New Member

I downloaded it last night from the main link posted on Pete's blog. I did end up redownloading it though, as I am at work now. I am downloading it from the same location, but since it is the morning I assume there would be less traffic, which would lower the chance of a corrupted download.

Hopefully it works, I am going to clear the data/cache twice this time, just to make sure.
  9. gibby540

gibby540 New Member

I am having the same issue. It didn't start until a couple of hours after the install. Before that, it worked fine. Screen doesn't lock and the home screen and search button does not work.
  10. Melkwon

Melkwon New Member

I had the same problem, but only noticed it after installing the Update Patch for 0.5 from ROM Manager. Home and search buttons did not work, but back and menu buttons worked fine. Power button just gave the option to power off. I didn't notice that I wasn't able to lock the screen but that may have been true as well.

I restored to 0.4 and reinstalled 0.5 (wiped data and cache again, and did not touch anything as instructed). Now the home and search buttons work again but I still only have the "power off" option. Very strange- anyone have any luck figuring this out?
  11. gibby540

gibby540 New Member

Update on my end:
    Search button works on my PhoneMyPc App to toggle the cursor. Still same issues otherwise. That is the only time I use the search button is for that app so I am ok with that issue. The home button issue is slightly annoying though, but not a deal-breaker.
  12. bblackburn03

bblackburn03 New Member

I am going through the reinstall process now. Sadly it sounds like even if it does correct the issue could pop back up a little bit down the road.

A friend of mine was going to have me show him how to root, but I told him that I'd like to wait until BB V.5 came out to avoid him getting discouraged by constant nagging of installing the update in BB V.4. Now I've got this that I will have to worry about. Sadly I'm not sure if it's a problem with just the rom or if there is a conflict with an app and the rom.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes though.
  13. AceDROID

AceDROID New Member

14. bblackburn03

bblackburn03 New Member

After the reinstall (wiping data/cache twice) the problems are corrected. I am going to wait a few hours and power the phone off/on a few times to see if comes back. I'll let you guys know if it continues to work properly or if it messes up again. If it messes up again I'll try the Search Key Fix.
  15. AceDROID

AceDROID New Member

Glad to hear it! I didn't have any issues with mine, though I did follow his instructions to a T. And yeah I did wipe data and cache twice so that might be the trick? Whoever else is having this issue can you pipe up and lets us know?
  16. bblackburn03

bblackburn03 New Member

I am kind of thinking that was the trick; which really confuses me. I mean, typically formatting a drive does not take more than one run. I know with all the formatting of computers, disks, etc. that I’ve never had to run it more than once. But, if that is what it takes then so be it, I won’t complain!

I’ve powered if on and off a few times just to try and see if it would recreate the issue, but it is still working fine. If by the end of my work day it’s still working I’m going to assume it’s fixed and the problems were due to either a corrupted download (which I will check the byte size of both files tonight) or due to the fact that I only wiped once.

Also -- Thank you for your help/input, gave me a few ideas and also let me know I wasn't alone on this issue!
  17. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

Hey guys. I found out about this problem with the original search thread on the second page. So, I tried some of the manual scripts that users posted and nothing worked. I ended up deleting my GoogleQuickSearchBar.apk out of pure stupidity so none of these fixes are working.

So I just downloaded BB .5.01 and installed that on top of my BB .5. Search button is working now and I just had the phone restart on me (like it did when I first restarted).

Should be good right?

edit - Yes the search button works now - but before letting the phone restart (forgot about that honestly), I unlocked the screen and hit the search button then the phone restarted because it was the first boot after installing BB .50001. No problem right?
  18. bblackburn03

bblackburn03 New Member

Really the only way to make sure everything installed properly is to look at the log.

I personally would reinstall just in case, as I would like to make sure I don't run into problems in the future. Think of it like this, reinstall now and avoid any possible errors and before you setup your phone how you like it. Or possibly reinstall later due to any errors that may arise due to it, after you've spent all that time setting your phone up to your liking.
  19. gibby540

gibby540 New Member

How do you reinstall? Just go through the same procedure in ROM manager when I initially installed it? My apologies for a dumb question...
  20. bblackburn03

bblackburn03 New Member

Yeah, basically just go through the same process as when you initally installed. The only thing I did different this time was I wiped my data/cache twice instead of just once.

I use SPRecovery to do installs, so I'm not positive of the steps you take when installing a ROM using ROM Manager, maybe someone else can give you some more in depth information.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010