BB V.4 - Desktop Icons are slow

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by g0dM@n, Jul 28, 2010.

1. g0dM@n

g0dM@n New Member

They've BEEN slow... I don't know if it was before or before AND after rooting my phone. BB V.4 is the only one I've tried... I've had this problem even before trying faster kernels. I was on BB V.4 800mhz and the icons were slow. I eventually slowly made my way to 1.25ghz ultra low voltage and it made no difference in desktop icons.

It's not ALWAYS slow, but if I'm browsing, market, or checking emails for a bit and I go back to the desktop, it can take 5 full seconds, maybe more?

It's getting annoying... I've been dealing with it for a long time now... any advice??

Yes, I disabled widgets on the home screen... should I disable widgets on ALL of my screens to narrow it down? Do you guys think that's the problem?

Any help is greatly respected and appreciated. THANKS!
  2. mkraffert

mkraffert New Member

I had the same problem. I cut down from 5 to 3 homescreens, and eliminated almost all my widgets and the problem went away. Then I went back to what I had and decided to live with the delay.
  3. seanzy13

seanzy13 New Member

I notice the same thing. I'm currently running BB 0.4 @ 1.2ghz p3 kernal using launcherpro. I assumed it had something to do with launcherpro and apps2sd, but I could be wrong. I just learned to live with it, not really a big deal to me anymore. And yes I have a ton of widgets also.
  4. g0dM@n

g0dM@n New Member

Well, I'm removing every single widget and it didn't help much... and now I just removed all of my phone call shortcuts (had 6 ppl that i just clicked on to dial immediately)...

I've a feeling it's still going to be slow...
  5. USCChem

USCChem New Member

The problem is not your widgets or anything. The problem that the system is killing your launcher when it goes into the background, thus requiring it to reload everything each time you go back to it after it has been killed in the background. If the launcher is not killed, the icons should be there instantly. (Although if you rotate the orientation of the launcher, it will always be killed when you rotate it — no way around that one.)

Fortunately, there's a way to prevent this. The setting is in the LauncherPro settings menu. Then tap Advanced, then tap Memory Usage and check the box for Prevent Force-Closes.

ADWLauncher has a similar setting, though I'm not sure what the exact menu titles are.

Once you set that up, you should be able to have all the widgets you want. :)
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  6. g0dM@n

g0dM@n New Member

Thanks for the post! Ok I don't know how to get into launcherpro's settings to change that... I'll keep playing with it though... but if I don't come back to edit that means I didn't find it.
  7. Despich

Despich New Member

I am not using LauncherPro (I am using the "stock" launcher that is in BB V.4) and I get the bad delay as well quite often but not always. I would upgrade to LauncherPro but based on what I have read it doesn't always fix this problem and I really don't "need" any of the other fancy stuff that launcherPro gives me (and I don't want to have to setup my icons again). I see lots of talk about this issue but haven't really seen anything the looks like it definetly "fixes" it at least with the "stock" launcher in BB .4

I have tried removing all the Widgets and it didn't help. I don't have a live wallpaper turned on. Tried removing SetCPU also.

I figure I will live with it until BB .5 comes out and then see if I still have the problem. It is really annoying though sometimes.

- Original Droid running BB V.04 Froyo
    - P3 1200Mhz
    - No added themes
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Very helpful info. I've assumed it was a memory issue, and maybe to some extent it is, but sounds like it should be a fixable issue rather than a "your Droid's ram can't handle all the stuff you want it to do"
  9. g0dM@n

g0dM@n New Member

I did remove Launcher Pro by uninstalling actually, and my problem didn't go away. I even dropped my overclock down and that didn't help either (in case it was a stability issue).

Do other ROMs have this problem as well?
  10. racketier

racketier New Member

I would keep launcher pro, and just go into the advanced setting and tell it to try to keep the launcher in system memory as was mentioned in a post above.

I do still have redraws occasionally so it's not perfect, but it isn't often enough to be an issue.
  11. masters

masters New Member

Does it matter with the number of screens you have setup? I haven't tried yet, but maybe reducing the number would help.

I wonder if you go from 7 to 5 if there is a significant jump.

It just takes to long to do anything on ADW. Sometimes I just longpress the home and hope the app is one of the last I have used.
  12. g0dM@n

g0dM@n New Member

Well I'm trying out ADW and right now it's doing fairly well!!

But... could you give me the step-by-step on how to do what you stated? :)
  13. masters

masters New Member

How many screens do you use?
  14. g0dM@n

g0dM@n New Member

BB v.4 came stock with 5, and I haven't changed anything... I'm on LUNA theme and an overclocked kernel (1.25 ulv by chevyno1).

It seems to be doing fine now... I'll update if it slows down, but so far so good with ADW!!

I haven't yet felt the need for more than 5 desktop screens and honestly don't even know how to add more.
  15. racketier

racketier New Member

^ This guy gave instructions already. If you need more help though send me a message.