BB v.0.6 Battery Life... disappointing

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Beardface, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Just installed this ROM, and I have to say, even though it looks nice, the battery life is downright atrocious compared to 0.5.

I had 70% battery when I installed. By the time 0.6 was running, the battery was showing 40%, and within 15 minutes of getting things set up, the phone was warning me the battery was below 15%. That is just awful.

I downloaded through ROM Manager, so I know it is a legit version of BB. This is just bad. I mean, I was getting over 17 hours a charge with BBv0.5 and now, Battery Left is calculating less than 2 hours per charge.

I am going to let this drain and see what happens, but I think the ROM is just built wrong and is not calculating battery power correctly, and if it is not wrong, then there is something very seriously wrong with the programming that is just killing power. Either way, I hope there is a quick fix.

2. peteralfonso

peteralfonso Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    It has not been out long enough to even get an estimate of how battery usage will be. I have been running this build for a month and have seen great battery life.

If you wiped data & cache, give it a full charge tonight and go from there.

3. dt_

dt_ Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try clearing your battery stats cache in ClockworkMod Recovery... I believe the option is in the advanced settings someplace.

4. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Alright, will do. I did the data and cache wipe when I installed, so if its working for you, shouldn't be an issue for me. I stopped messing with it and it seems like the drain has been put off for now, but really, I wasn't doing anything overly excessive other than setting up the phone the way it was and it just killed off 50% in battery life in about an hour! Yikes!

Also need to download a new kernel for it. I was running Chevy's 1.1Ghz ulv on BBv0.5. Any reason this wouldn't work with v0.6?

I will also reset the battery stats via clockwork. Hope that helps as well.

5. lordgold

lordgold New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Flashing when your battery isn't fully charged will wreak havoc on your battery calibration and give you inaccurate percentages. Reset the battery stats in Clockwork, let your battery drain completely, and then let it fully charge before you unplug it. Should help a bit.

6. lowboy

lowboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't doing anything overly excessive other than setting up the phone the way it was and it just killed off 50% in battery life in about an hour

That says a lot. Like Peter said charge it and run as you did before.
    I have not tried V0.6 yet but 0.5 ran great. My daughter ran it up till last Friday and never complained. I changed it that night, now Pete comes out with V0.6............LOL

7. rlarson_mn

rlarson_mn Member

Ratings:
    +1
    When your doing a complete install with ROM then apps then settings you never do it on just battery. I always always plug my phone into AC to keep stuff safe. Battery has not been an issue for me at this point.

8. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The wall charger does not charge while in recovery, so doing that has absolutely no help at all, just letting you know. Don't expect this to be a fail safe as it will not do anything to help you....

9. spenceuiuc

spenceuiuc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am experiencing a similar effect on battery life. However, I too installed it on a partially charged battery.

I was getting 23 hours life consistently on BBv0.5 with moderate data usage, bluetooth on, gps on, wifi off, and the kernel that came with the rom.

I installed v0.6 with about 60% battery at 4p. I am down to 10% at 8:30p.

I have faith though that a full charge and a battery stats reset will change the picture.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

10. floyd

floyd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Often when you install a new ROM you need to calibrate the LiPo battery by letting it drain completely, and then charge it completely. You often get weirdly high or low readings on a new ROM. Calibration is key.

BB0.6 looks quite promising and speedy if not greasy smooth, but I suspect us android folks that use the slideout keyboard are still going to suffer with interminable screen redraws. Android is stil a little clunky in terms of user experience. I still love the Droid 1 for its hackability, but 256k internal RAM is clearly a "planned obsolescence" ploy.

Pete's ROMs are straightforward and sensible and push the possibilities of a limited but highly overclockable phone--without much fiddling required. He would likely make a great product development guru.

11. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks for the help, everyone. I wiped the Battery Stats and then dropped it in the Desktop Dock overnight, and it seems like its all fixed. So far, it even seems like the battery life is a bit better than in v0.5, which is nice.

12. spenceuiuc

spenceuiuc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After a stats reset and full charge my battery life is looking at least as good as bb.5. Cheers.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App