bb toolkit

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by jxker, Jul 30, 2010.

1. jxker

jxker New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It said an update was available for the BB toolkit and that it had to remove the old one first and then would install the new one......well it uninstalled the old one but didn't install the new one, can anyone help?

2. myDownfall

myDownfall Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure it didn't just remove the app from your homescreen? Try adding it again.

3. jxker

jxker New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it wasnt on the homescreen, it was in installed apps and it isnt there

4. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This is from MrBlippy, the BB Toolkit developer (from a post at Alldroid.org):

Common Questions Regarding the Toolkit:

Where can I find the changelog?
    For the latest BB Toolkit changelog, look here: http://bit.ly/cSxeFK

Why does the update fail if I have mass storage enabled?

Since I wrote the 'toolkit' script, I kept Pete's new script style where it creates a backup of the original APK before removing/replacing it. Pressing the update button in the Toolkit (when prompted to do so) calls the 'toolkit' script with the '-up' argument. This begins the download of the new Toolkit version from my server. However, if the SD card is not mounted to the phone (in other words, it is mounted to your PC/Mac), a backup of the original Toolkit cannot be made to the SD card and the update script stops without making any changes (you will receive a message if you run the script in a terminal).

Why do I receive a force close when I tap the button to update the Toolkit?
    For some reason that I have yet to resolve, some users are reporting a force close after pressing the button to initiate the update. If this happens to you, you might be left with the Toolkit removed. To fix this, you can open a terminal and execute the 'toolkit -up' command* which will pull down the most current version of the Toolkit. The script, when run from a terminal, is always there as a fail-safe if the update process fails through the app itself. I will do what I can to find why the force close happens for some users and will certainly patch the app should I find the solution.

What do I do if the Toolkit is missing?
    To fix this, you can open a terminal and execute the 'toolkit -up' command* which will pull down the most current version of the Toolkit. The script, when run from a terminal, is always there as a fail-safe if you should lose the app for any reason.

Why does the app close after saying I am not running a legitimate BB ROM?
    There are a number of parameters in the build.prop file that I have the Toolkit check for upon opening. These parameters are to ensure that the person running the app is actually running a legitimate Bugless Beast ROM. I cannot possibly support the thousands of root users who might try to run this app on any other ROM. They obviously would be missing key elements which are present in Bugless Beast ROMs. Unfortunately, several theme designers/"porters" are editing the build.prop file or simply using a build.prop file from some other ROM (or even older versions of Bugless Beast). This is a problem for the Toolkit app as the app MUST read certain values from the build.prop file in order to work properly. If you change your build.prop file from the default build.prop file that Pete includes with each new ROM, I cannot ensure the app will function properly and in order to not risk breaking your phone, I have the app simply exit with the message you are receiving.

The other problem with changing out your build.prop file is that there are values in the build.prop file which tell other apps (like the Market) how to function. I have noticed several people are still having problems downloading apps from the Market with the latest BB V0.3. This could very well be due to the fact that they have changed the build.prop file from what Pete had originally put in the ROM. Therefore, the release/debug keys that signal what apps can be downloaded from the Market are potentially incorrect now.

I have spoken with Pete about this issue and we are both unsure why a theme would need to change the build.prop file. If someone can provide a legitimate reason for this, please do let me or Pete know. But at this point, the theme designers/"porters" need to be including the build.prop file from the ROM that the theme is intended to be run on and adding to it if the theme really requires any changes.*Please do not abuse the 'toolkit -up' command. Running it without reason to do so (i.e. there is no update available) will only provide you the same version you have currently and will cost me money in unnecessary bandwidth. You absolutely will not get a new version out of running that command unless the Toolkit app notifies you an update is available. Please be kind and considerate. :)

5. deputc26

deputc26 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm same thing happened to me, I have the smoked glass theme on my phone.

6. jxker

jxker New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ran the toolkit -up and got a "no such directory chmod or something like that

I really dont want to reinstall the rom for this one feature when .5 will be out soon

7. jxker

jxker New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    did "toolkit -cp" and it reinstalled the old one, good enough for me

Search tags for this page

bb toolkit

delete blackberry toolkit
descargar net rim bb toolkit
net rim bb tolkit
net rim bb toolkit